December 8: Day of the Week
December 8, 2023 is the 342nd day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 23 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ENQPENOOPYZD? Check your answers here: Word finder ENQPENOOPYZD. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
December 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1854In his Apostolic constitution Ineffabilis Deus, Pope Pius IX proclaims the dogmatic definition of Immaculate Conception, which holds that the Virgin Mary was born free of original sin.
- 1907King Gustaf V of Sweden accedes to the Swedish throne.
- 1927The Brookings Institution, one of the United States’ oldest think tanks, is founded through the merger of three organizations that had been created by philanthropist Robert S. Brookings.
- 1941Japanese forces simultaneously invade Malaya, Thailand, Hong Kong and the Philippines. These happen concurrently with the Attack on Pearl Harbor, which was on December 7 in the United States.
- 1974A plebiscite results in the abolition of monarchy in Greece.
- 1980John Lennon, an English musician (former member of The Beatles), and peace activist, is murdered by Mark David Chapman, a mentally unstable fan, in front of The Dakota apartment building in New York City.
- 1987An Israeli army tank transporter kills four Palestinian refugees and injures seven others during a traffic accident at the Erez Crossing on the Israel–Gaza Strip border, sparking the First Intifada.
- 1998The Australian Cricket Board’s cover-up of Shane Warne and Mark Waugh’s involvement with bookmakers is revealed.
- 2002The Caribbean Community Heads of Government meet with the Government of Cuba and declare the date to be “CARICOM-Cuba Day”—to celebrate diplomatic ties between the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) and Cuba.
- 2009Bombings in Baghdad, Iraq kill 127 and injure 448.
Who were born on December 8?
- 1574Maria Anna of Bavaria, consort of Ferdinand II (d. 1616)
- 1816August Belmont, Sr., Prussian-born American financier (d. 1890)
- 1817Christian Emil Krag-Juel-Vind-Frijs, Danish nobleman and politician (d. 1896)
- 1818Charles III, Prince of Monaco, founder of the Monte Carlo casino (d. 1889)
- 1935Dharmendra, Indian actor
- 1954Gadowar Singh Sahota, Indian professional wrestler
- 1967Andy Kapp, German curler
- 1967Jeff George, American football player
- 1976Joshua Butler, Celebrity Chef
- 1979Raymond Lam, Hong Kong actor and singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.