December 8: Day of the Week
December 8, 2019 is the 342nd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 23 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Jorge’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
December 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1912Leaders of the German Empire hold an Imperial War Council to discuss the possibility that war might break out.
- 1941United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt declares December 7 to be “a date which will live in infamy”, after which the U.S. and the Republic of China declare war against Japan.
- 1949United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East is established to provide aid to Palestinian refugees who left their homes during the 1948 Palestinian exodus.
- 1962Workers at four New York City newspapers (this later increases to nine) go on strike for 114 days.
- 1974A plebiscite results in the abolition of monarchy in Greece.
- 1987An Israeli army tank transporter kills four Palestinian refugees and injures seven others during a traffic accident at the Erez Crossing on the Israel–Gaza Strip border, sparking the First Intifada.
- 1987The Alianza Lima air disaster occurs.
- 1991The leaders of Russia, Belarus and Ukraine sign an agreement dissolving the Soviet Union and establishing the Commonwealth of Independent States.
- 1998The Australian Cricket Board’s cover-up of Shane Warne and Mark Waugh’s involvement with bookmakers is revealed.
- 2004The Cuzco Declaration is signed in Cuzco, Peru, establishing the South American Community of Nations.
Who were born on December 8?
- 1822Jakov Ignjatović, Serbian novelist and prose writer (d. 1889)
- 1864Camille Claudel, French graphic artist and sculptor (d. 1943)
- 1865Jean Sibelius, Finnish composer (d. 1957)
- 1918Gérard Souzay, French baritone (d. 2004)
- 1930Julian Critchley, British politician (d. 2000)
- 1944George Baker, Dutch singer and songwriter
- 1968Michael Cole, American professional wrestling commentator
- 1975Kevin Harvick, American racing driver
- 1978Anwar Siraj, Ethiopian footballer
- 1980Lisa Kelly, American reality television personality
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.