December 8: Day of the Week
December 8, 2021 is the 342nd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 23 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters VEUPRIHX? Check your answers here: Words with these letters VEUPRIHX. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
December 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1660A woman (either Margaret Hughes or Anne Marshall) appears on an English public stage for the first time, in the role of Desdemona in a production of Shakespeare’s play Othello.
- 1907King Gustaf V of Sweden accedes to the Swedish throne.
- 1914A squadron of Britain’s Royal Navy defeats an inferior squadron of the Imperial German High Seas Fleet in the Battle of the Falkland Islands in the South Atlantic.
- 1962Workers at four New York City newspapers (this later increases to nine) go on strike for 114 days.
- 1974A plebiscite results in the abolition of monarchy in Greece.
- 1987The Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty is signed.
- 1988A United States Air Force A-10 Thunderbolt II crashes into an apartment complex in Remscheid, Germany, killing 5 people and injuring 50 others.
- 1991The Romanian Constitution is adopted in a referendum.
- 2004The Cuzco Declaration is signed in Cuzco, Peru, establishing the South American Community of Nations.
- 2009Bombings in Baghdad, Iraq kill 127 and injure 448.
Who were born on December 8?
- 1864Camille Claudel, French graphic artist and sculptor (d. 1943)
- 1874Ernst Moro, Austrian physician (d. 1951)
- 1908John A. Volpe, American politician and 2nd United States Secretary of Transportation (d. 1994)
- 1927Vladimir Shatalov, Soviet cosmonaut
- 1939Soko Richardson, American rhythm and blues drummer (d. 2004)
- 1954Frits Pirard, Dutch road bicycle racer
- 1962Marty Friedman, American guitarist
- 1967Darren Sheridan, English footballer and manager
- 1974Tony Simmons, American football player
- 1985Oleksiy Pecherov, Ukrainian basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.