December 8: Day of the Week
December 8, 2021 is the 342nd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 23 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters WPCOOAOEYJ? Check your answers here: Words with these letters WPCOOAOEYJ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
December 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1660A woman (either Margaret Hughes or Anne Marshall) appears on an English public stage for the first time, in the role of Desdemona in a production of Shakespeare’s play Othello.
- 1927The Brookings Institution, one of the United States’ oldest think tanks, is founded through the merger of three organizations that had been created by philanthropist Robert S. Brookings.
- 1941United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt declares December 7 to be “a date which will live in infamy”, after which the U.S. and the Republic of China declare war against Japan.
- 1963Pan Am Flight 214, a Boeing 707, is struck by lightning and crashes near Elkton, Maryland, United States, killing all 81 people on board.
- 1971Indo-Pakistani War: The Indian Navy launches an attack on West Pakistan’s port city of Karachi.
- 1980John Lennon, an English musician (former member of The Beatles), and peace activist, is murdered by Mark David Chapman, a mentally unstable fan, in front of The Dakota apartment building in New York City.
- 1991The leaders of Russia, Belarus and Ukraine sign an agreement dissolving the Soviet Union and establishing the Commonwealth of Independent States.
- 1998Eighty-one people are killed by armed groups in Algeria.
- 2004The Cuzco Declaration is signed in Cuzco, Peru, establishing the South American Community of Nations.
- 2007Benazir Bhutto, first and only female former Prime Minister of Pakistan, had her PPP Office stormed by unidentified gunmen. Three supporters are killed.
Who were born on December 8?
- 1730Jan Ingenhousz, Dutch physician, physiologist and botanist (d. 1799)
- 1915Ernest Lehman, American screenwriter (d. 2005)
- 1939Soko Richardson, American rhythm and blues drummer (d. 2004)
- 1940Brant Alyea, American baseball player
- 1941Ed Brinkman, American baseball player
- 1955Milenko Zablaćanski, Serbian actor, director, and playwright (d. 2008)
- 1976Dominic Monaghan, English actor
- 1978John Oster, Welsh footballer
- 1984Badr Hari, Dutch kickboxer
- 1989Jen Ledger, English drummer “Skillet”
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.