December 8: Day of the Week
December 8, 2020 is the 343rd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 23 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Zoey’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
December 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1432The first battle between the forces of Švitrigaila and Sigismund Kęstutaitis is fought near the town of Oszmiana (Ashmyany), launching the most active phase of the Lithuanian Civil War.
- 1660A woman (either Margaret Hughes or Anne Marshall) appears on an English public stage for the first time, in the role of Desdemona in a production of Shakespeare’s play Othello.
- 1941United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt declares December 7 to be “a date which will live in infamy”, after which the U.S. and the Republic of China declare war against Japan.
- 1953United States President Dwight D. Eisenhower delivers his “Atoms for Peace” speech, and the U.S. launches its “Atoms for Peace” program that supplied equipment and information to schools, hospitals, and research institutions around the world.
- 1971Indo-Pakistani War: The Indian Navy launches an attack on West Pakistan’s port city of Karachi.
- 1982In Suriname, several opponents of the military government are killed.
- 1987Frank Vitkovic shoots and kills eight people at the Australia Post building in Melbourne, before jumping to his death.
- 1987The Alianza Lima air disaster occurs.
- 2002The Caribbean Community Heads of Government meet with the Government of Cuba and declare the date to be “CARICOM-Cuba Day”—to celebrate diplomatic ties between the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) and Cuba.
- 2004The Cuzco Declaration is signed in Cuzco, Peru, establishing the South American Community of Nations.
Who were born on December 8?
- 1574Maria Anna of Bavaria, consort of Ferdinand II (d. 1616)
- 1886Diego Rivera, Mexican painter (d. 1957)
- 1899John Qualen, Canadian actor (d. 1987)
- 1908John A. Volpe, American politician and 2nd United States Secretary of Transportation (d. 1994)
- 1927Ferdie Pacheco, American boxing trainer
- 1930Maximilian Schell, Austrian-born Swiss actor and film director
- 1947Gérard Blanc, French singer
- 1949Nancy Meyers, American film director, producer and screenwriter
- 1979Raymond Lam, Hong Kong actor and singer
- 1982DeeDee Trotter, American athlete
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.