December 8: Day of the Week
December 8, 2020 is the 343rd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 23 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters LCTOTLARBSI? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters LCTOTLARBSI. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
December 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1432The first battle between the forces of Švitrigaila and Sigismund Kęstutaitis is fought near the town of Oszmiana (Ashmyany), launching the most active phase of the Lithuanian Civil War.
- 1854In his Apostolic constitution Ineffabilis Deus, Pope Pius IX proclaims the dogmatic definition of Immaculate Conception, which holds that the Virgin Mary was born free of original sin.
- 1914A squadron of Britain’s Royal Navy defeats an inferior squadron of the Imperial German High Seas Fleet in the Battle of the Falkland Islands in the South Atlantic.
- 1953United States President Dwight D. Eisenhower delivers his “Atoms for Peace” speech, and the U.S. launches its “Atoms for Peace” program that supplied equipment and information to schools, hospitals, and research institutions around the world.
- 1971Indo-Pakistani War: The Indian Navy launches an attack on West Pakistan’s port city of Karachi.
- 1974A plebiscite results in the abolition of monarchy in Greece.
- 1980John Lennon, an English musician (former member of The Beatles), and peace activist, is murdered by Mark David Chapman, a mentally unstable fan, in front of The Dakota apartment building in New York City.
- 1982In Suriname, several opponents of the military government are killed.
- 1998Eighty-one people are killed by armed groups in Algeria.
- 2009Bombings in Baghdad, Iraq kill 127 and injure 448.
Who were born on December 8?
- 65 BCHorace, Roman poet (d. 8 BC)
- 1864Camille Claudel, French graphic artist and sculptor (d. 1943)
- 1922Jean Ritchie, American folk singer
- 1925Jimmy Smith, American jazz organist (d. 2005)
- 1945John Banville, Irish novelist and journalist
- 1946John Rubinstein, American actor, composer, director
- 1951Bill Bryson, American author
- 1964James Blundell, Australian country singer
- 1977Elsa Benítez, Mexican supermodel
- 1981Jeremy Accardo, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.