December 9: Day of the Week
December 9, 2019 is the 343rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 22 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
December 9 Historical Event(s)
- 730Battle of Marj Ardabil: the Khazars annihilate an Umayyad army and kill its commander, al-Djarrah ibn Abdullah
- 1425The Catholic University of Leuven is founded.
- 1861American Civil War: The Joint Committee on the Conduct of the War is established by the U.S. Congress.
- 1897Activist Marguerite Durand founds the feminist daily newspaper, La Fronde, in Paris.
- 1911A mine explosion near Briceville, Tennessee, kills 84 miners in spite of rescue efforts led by the United States Bureau of Mines.
- 1917World War I: In Palestine, Field Marshal Edmund Allenby captures Jerusalem.
- 1940World War II: Operation Compass – British and Indian troops under the command of Major-General Richard O'Connor attack Italian forces near Sidi Barrani in Egypt.
- 1950Harry Gold is sentenced to 30 years in jail for helping Klaus Fuchs pass information about the Manhattan Project to the Soviet Union. His testimony is later instrumental in the prosecution of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg.
- 1961Tanganyika becomes independent from Britain.
- 1987Israeli-Palestinian conflict: The First Intifada begins in the Gaza Strip and West Bank.
Who were born on December 9?
- 1561Sir Edwin Sandys, English-born Virginian colonist (d. 1629)
- 1594Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden (d. 1632)
- 1944Tadashi Irie, Japanese yakuza boss
- 1954Herman Finkers, Dutch comedian
- 1955Otis Birdsong, American basketball player
- 1968Brent Price, American basketball player
- 1969Bixente Lizarazu, French footballer
- 1969Jakob Dylan, American singer (The Wallflowers)
- 1972Fabrice Santoro, Tahitian-born French tennis player
- 1976Chris Booker, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.