December 9: Day of the Week
December 9, 2021 is the 343rd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 22 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters IDXYANQTAOBU? Check your answers here: Word finder IDXYANQTAOBU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
December 9 Historical Event(s)
- 730Battle of Marj Ardabil: the Khazars annihilate an Umayyad army and kill its commander, al-Djarrah ibn Abdullah
- 1835The Texian Army captures San Antonio, Texas.
- 1917World War I: In Palestine, Field Marshal Edmund Allenby captures Jerusalem.
- 1941World War II: The Republic of China, Cuba, Guatemala, the Republic of Korea, and the Philippine Commonwealth, declare war on Germany and Japan.
- 1950Harry Gold is sentenced to 30 years in jail for helping Klaus Fuchs pass information about the Manhattan Project to the Soviet Union. His testimony is later instrumental in the prosecution of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg.
- 1953Red Scare: General Electric announces that all communist employees will be discharged from the company.
- 1960The first episode of the world’s longest-running television soap opera Coronation Street is broadcast in the United Kingdom.
- 1971Indo-Pakistani War: The Indian Air Force executes an airdrop of Indian Army units, bypassing Pakistani defences.
- 1979The eradication of the smallpox virus is certified, making smallpox the first and to date only human disease driven to extinction.
- 2008The Governor of Illinois, Rod Blagojevich, is arrested by federal officials for a number of crimes including attempting to sell the United States Senate seat being vacated by President-elect Barack Obama’s election to the Presidency.
Who were born on December 9?
- 1561Sir Edwin Sandys, English-born Virginian colonist (d. 1629)
- 1868Fritz Haber, German chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1934)
- 1891Maksim Bahdanovič, Belarusian poet (d. 1917)
- 1895Conchita Supervía, Spanish opera singer (d. 1936)
- 1898Emmett Kelly, American circus clown (d. 1979)
- 1944Tadashi Irie, Japanese yakuza boss
- 1945Michael Nouri, American actor
- 1950Joan Armatrading, St. Kitts-born English singer-songwriter
- 1974Rahat Fateh Ali Khan,Pakistani singer
- 1989Lindsey Evans, American glamor model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.