December 9: Day of the Week
December 9, 2019 is the 343rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 22 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
December 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1824Patriot forces led by General Antonio José de Sucre defeat a Royalist army in the Battle of Ayacucho, putting an end to the Peruvian War of Independence.
- 1835The Texian Army captures San Antonio, Texas.
- 1888Statistician Herman Hollerith installs his computing device at the United States War Department.
- 1911A mine explosion near Briceville, Tennessee, kills 84 miners in spite of rescue efforts led by the United States Bureau of Mines.
- 1931The Constituent Cortes approves the constitution which establishes the Second Spanish Republic.
- 1950Harry Gold is sentenced to 30 years in jail for helping Klaus Fuchs pass information about the Manhattan Project to the Soviet Union. His testimony is later instrumental in the prosecution of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg.
- 1958The John Birch Society is founded in the United States.
- 1961Tanganyika becomes independent from Britain.
- 1987Israeli-Palestinian conflict: The First Intifada begins in the Gaza Strip and West Bank.
- 2003A blast in the center of Moscow kills six people and wounds several more.
Who were born on December 9?
- 1861Hélène Smith, French psychic (d. 1929)
- 1917James Rainwater, American physicist, Nobel laureate (d. 1986)
- 1918Joyce Redman, Irish actress
- 1942Billy Bremner, Scottish footballer (d. 1997)
- 1954Henk ten Cate, Dutch footballplayer and football manager
- 1961David Anthony Higgins, American actor
- 1971Petr Nedvěd, Czech ice hockey player
- 1982Tamilla Abassova, Russian cyclist
- 1983Jermaine Beckford, English footballer
- 1984Leon Hall, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.