December 9: Day of the Week
December 9, 2019 is the 343rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 22 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Karen’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
December 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1856The Iranian city of Bushehr surrenders to occupying British forces.
- 1861American Civil War: The Joint Committee on the Conduct of the War is established by the U.S. Congress.
- 1872In Louisiana, P. B. S. Pinchback becomes the first serving African-American governor of a U.S. state.
- 1911A mine explosion near Briceville, Tennessee, kills 84 miners in spite of rescue efforts led by the United States Bureau of Mines.
- 1941World War II: The 19th Bombardment Group attacks Japanese ships off the coast of Vigan, Luzon.
- 1941World War II: The Republic of China, Cuba, Guatemala, the Republic of Korea, and the Philippine Commonwealth, declare war on Germany and Japan.
- 1953Red Scare: General Electric announces that all communist employees will be discharged from the company.
- 1956Trans-Canada Air Lines Flight 810, a Canadair North Star, crashes near Hope, British Columbia, Canada, killing all 62 people on board.
- 1960The first episode of the world’s longest-running television soap opera Coronation Street is broadcast in the United Kingdom.
- 2008The Governor of Illinois, Rod Blagojevich, is arrested by federal officials for a number of crimes including attempting to sell the United States Senate seat being vacated by President-elect Barack Obama’s election to the Presidency.
Who were born on December 9?
- 1867Gregorios Xenopoulos, Greek writer (d. 1951)
- 1899Jean de Brunhoff, French author (d. 1937)
- 1901Carol Dempster, American actress (d. 1991)
- 1906Grace Hopper, American computer pioneer (d. 1992)
- 1917James Rainwater, American physicist, Nobel laureate (d. 1986)
- 1920Carlo Azeglio Ciampi, President of the Italian Republic
- 1928Dick Van Patten, American actor
- 1933Ashleigh Brilliant, American writer (Pot-Shots)
- 1957Donny Osmond, American singer and actor
- 1978Gaston Gaudio, Argentine tennis player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.