December 9: Day of the Week
December 9, 2020 is the 344th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 22 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters MQOISJNOT? Check your answers here: Word solver MQOISJNOT. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
December 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1824Patriot forces led by General Antonio José de Sucre defeat a Royalist army in the Battle of Ayacucho, putting an end to the Peruvian War of Independence.
- 1872In Louisiana, P. B. S. Pinchback becomes the first serving African-American governor of a U.S. state.
- 1897Activist Marguerite Durand founds the feminist daily newspaper, La Fronde, in Paris.
- 1958The John Birch Society is founded in the United States.
- 1961Tanganyika becomes independent from Britain.
- 1961The trial of Nazi Adolf Eichmann in Israel ends with verdicts of guilty on 15 criminal charges, including charges of crimes against humanity, crimes against the Jewish people and membership of an outlawed organization.
- 1966Barbados joins the United Nations.
- 1968NLS (a system for which hypertext and the computer mouse were developed) is publicly demonstrated for the first time in San Francisco.
- 1969United States Secretary of State William P. Rogers proposes his plan for a ceasefire in the War of Attrition; Egypt and Jordan accept it over the objections of the PLO, which leads to civil war in Jordan in September 1970.
- 1979The eradication of the smallpox virus is certified, making smallpox the first and to date only human disease driven to extinction.
Who were born on December 9?
- 1861Hélène Smith, French psychic (d. 1929)
- 1870Ida S. Scudder, Indian physician, Founder, Christian Medical College & Hospital, India (d. 1960)
- 1887Tim Moore, American actor and vaudevillian (d. 1958)
- 1895Dolores Ibárruri, Spanish political leader (d. 1989)
- 1911Lee J. Cobb, American actor (d. 1976)
- 1940Clancy Eccles, Jamaican Reggae Musician (d. 2005)
- 1966Julio Alberto Rodas Hurtarte, former soccer player
- 1971Geoff Barrow, English musician (Portishead)
- 1974Rahat Fateh Ali Khan,Pakistani singer
- 1979Chen Hao, Chinese actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.