December 9: Day of the Week
December 9, 2020 is the 344th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 22 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Alma’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
December 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1851The first YMCA in North America is established in Montreal, Quebec.
- 1872In Louisiana, P. B. S. Pinchback becomes the first serving African-American governor of a U.S. state.
- 1897Activist Marguerite Durand founds the feminist daily newspaper, La Fronde, in Paris.
- 1911A mine explosion near Briceville, Tennessee, kills 84 miners in spite of rescue efforts led by the United States Bureau of Mines.
- 1950Harry Gold is sentenced to 30 years in jail for helping Klaus Fuchs pass information about the Manhattan Project to the Soviet Union. His testimony is later instrumental in the prosecution of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg.
- 1965The Kecksburg UFO incident: a fireball is seen from Michigan to Pennsylvania; witnesses report something crashing in the woods near Pittsburgh. In 2005 NASA admits that it examined the object.
- 1969United States Secretary of State William P. Rogers proposes his plan for a ceasefire in the War of Attrition; Egypt and Jordan accept it over the objections of the PLO, which leads to civil war in Jordan in September 1970.
- 1973British and Irish authorities sign the Sunningdale Agreement in an attempt to establish a power-sharing Northern Ireland Executive and a cross-border Council of Ireland.
- 1979The eradication of the smallpox virus is certified, making smallpox the first and to date only human disease driven to extinction.
- 2000The Supreme Court of the United States stays the sixth Florida recount.
Who were born on December 9?
- 1868Fritz Haber, German chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1934)
- 1889Hannes Kolehmainen, Finnish long-distance runner (d. 1966)
- 1899Jean de Brunhoff, French author (d. 1937)
- 1934Junior Wells, American musician (d. 1998)
- 1955Otis Birdsong, American basketball player
- 1958Rikk Agnew, American guitarist (The Adolescents)
- 1972Tre Cool, German-born American drummer (Green Day)
- 1974Aloísio, Brazilian footballer
- 1974Canibus, American rapper
- 1990LaFee, German singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.