February 19: Day of the Week
February 19, 2017 was the 50th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 315 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Did you know? It takes as little as 8 hours of one-on-one tutoring to improve a full letter grade, according to a nationwide poll of private tutors. Click here to search for a tutor today! More than 80,000 tutors in 300+ subjects. (Sponsored link; US only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Aquarius horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
February 19 Historical Event(s)
- 1674England and the Netherlands sign the Treaty of Westminster, ending the Third Anglo-Dutch War. A provision of the agreement transfers the Dutch colony of New Amsterdam to England, and it is renamed New York.
- 1807In Alabama, former Vice President of the United States Aaron Burr is arrested for treason and confined to Fort Stoddert.
- 1819British explorer William Smith discovers the South Shetland Islands, and claims them in the name of King George III.
- 1846In Austin, Texas the newly formed Texas state government is officially installed. The Republic of Texas government officially transfers power to the State of Texas government following Texas’ annexation by the United States.
- 1901New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Ox in Chinese astrology.
- 1942World War II: President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs the executive order 9066, allowing the United States military to relocate Japanese-Americans to Japanese internment camps.
- 1945World War II: Battle of Iwo Jima – about 30,000 United States Marines land on the island of Iwo Jima.
- 1976Executive Order 9066, which led to the relocation of Japanese Americans to internment camps, is rescinded by President Gerald R. Ford’s Proclamation 4417
- 1986The Soviet Union launches its Mir spacecraft. Remaining in orbit for 15 years, it is occupied for 10 of those years.
- 2001The Oklahoma City bombing museum is dedicated at the Oklahoma City National Memorial.
Who were born on February 19?
- 1722Tiphaigne de la Roche, French writer (d. 1774)
- 1930John Frankenheimer, American film director (d. 2002)
- 1949Danielle Bunten Berry, American software developer (d. 1998)
- 1971Gil Shaham, Israeli-born American violinist
- 1977Gianluca Zambrotta, Italian footballer
- 1979Mariska, Finnish rapper
- 1980David Gandy, British model
- 1980Mike Miller, American basketball player
- 1981Beth Ditto, American singer (The Gossip)
- 1981Nicky Shorey, English footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.