February 23: Day of the Week
February 23, 2020 was the 54th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 312 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Damian’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
February 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1739Richard Palmer is identified at York Castle, by his former schoolteacher, as the outlaw Dick Turpin.
- 1854The official independence of the Orange Free State is declared.
- 1896The Tootsie Roll is invented.
- 1898Émile Zola is imprisoned in France after writing “J'accuse”, a letter accusing the French government of anti-Semitism and wrongfully imprisoning Captain Alfred Dreyfus.
- 1905Chicago attorney Paul Harris and three other businessmen meet for lunch to form the Rotary Club, the world’s first service club.
- 1945World War II: Capitulation of German garrison in Poznań. The city is liberated by Soviet and Polish forces.
- 1947The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) is founded.
- 1981In Spain, Antonio Tejero attempts a coup d'état by capturing the Spanish Congress of Deputies.
- 1983The United States Environmental Protection Agency announces its intent to buy out and evacuate the dioxin-contaminated community of Times Beach, Missouri.
- 2005The controversial French law on colonialism is passed, requiring teachers to teach the “positive values of colonialism”. After public outcry, it is repealed at the beginning of 2006.
Who were born on February 23?
- 1685George Frideric Handel, German/British Baroque composer (d. 1759)
- 1809William Sprague, American minister and politician from Michigan (d. 1868)
- 1842Karl Robert Eduard von Hartmann, German philosopher (d. 1906)
- 1948Doug Moench, American comic book writer
- 1955Flip Saunders, American basketball coach
- 1955Tom Bodett, American voice actor, radio personality, and writer
- 1965Michael Dell, American computer manufacturer
- 1972Rondell White, American baseball player
- 1983Mido, Egyptian footballer
- 1986Kazuya Kamenashi, Japanese idol (KAT-TUN)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.