February 23: Day of the Week
February 23, 2019 was the 54th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 311 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
February 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1854The official independence of the Orange Free State is declared.
- 1918First victory of Red Army over the Kaiser’s German troops near Narva and Pskov. In honor of this victory, the date is celebrated from 1923 onward as “Red Army Day”; it is renamed Defender of the Fatherland Day after the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991, and is colloquially known as “Men’s Day”.
- 1945World War II: Capitulation of German garrison in Poznań. The city is liberated by Soviet and Polish forces.
- 1955First meeting of the Southeast Asia Treaty Organization (SEATO).
- 1974The Symbionese Liberation Army demands $4 million more to release kidnap victim Patty Hearst.
- 1997A small fire occurs in the Russian Space station, Mir.
- 1998In the United States, tornadoes in central Florida destroy or damage 2,600 structures and kill 42.
- 1999An avalanche destroys the Austrian village of Galtür, killing 31.
- 1999Kurdish rebel leader Abdullah Öcalan is charged with treason in Ankara, Turkey.
- 2007A train derails on an evening express service near Grayrigg, Cumbria, England, killing one person and injuring 22. This results in hundreds of points being checked over the UK after a few similar accidents.
Who were born on February 23?
- 1899Norman Taurog, American film director (d. 1981)
- 1923Miljenko Smoje, Dalmatian writer and journalist (d. 1995)
- 1941Ron Hunt, baseball player
- 1944Johnny Winter, American musician
- 1970Niecy Nash, American actress
- 1975Robert Lopez, American composer
- 1978René Pérez, Puerto Rican musician (Calle 13)
- 1983Emily Blunt, British actress
- 1989Evan Bates, American ice dancer
- 1992Kyriakos Papadopoulos, Greek footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.