February 23: Day of the Week
February 23, 2020 was the 54th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 312 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Brett’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
February 23 Historical Event(s)
- 303Roman Emperor Diocletian orders the destruction of the Christian church in Nicomedia, beginning eight years of Diocletianic Persecution.
- 1778American Revolution: Baron von Steuben arrives at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania to help to train the Continental Army.
- 1820Cato Street Conspiracy: A plot to murder all the British cabinet ministers is exposed.
- 1848The French Revolution of 1848, which would lead to the establishment of the French Second Republic, begins.
- 1927President Calvin Coolidge signs a bill by Congress establishing the Federal Radio Commission (later replaced by the Federal Communications Commission) which was to regulate the use of radio frequencies in the United States.
- 1944The Soviet Union begins the forced deportation of the Chechen and Ingush people from the North Caucasus to Central Asia.
- 1945World War II: The German town of Pforzheim is completely destroyed in a raid by 379 British bombers.
- 1945World War II: The capital of the Philippines, Manila, is liberated by combined Filipino and American forces.
- 1999An avalanche destroys the Austrian village of Galtür, killing 31.
- 2005The controversial French law on colonialism is passed, requiring teachers to teach the “positive values of colonialism”. After public outcry, it is repealed at the beginning of 2006.
Who were born on February 23?
- 1685George Frideric Handel, German/British Baroque composer (d. 1759)
- 1889Victor Fleming, American director (d. 1949)
- 1891Harold Horder, Australian rugby league player (d. 1978)
- 1899Norman Taurog, American film director (d. 1981)
- 1928Hans Herrmann, German race car driver
- 1949Marc Garneau, Canadian astronaut
- 1972Rondell White, American baseball player
- 1976Scott Elarton, American baseball player
- 1986Skylar Grey, American musician
- 1994Dakota Fanning, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.