February 23: Day of the Week
February 23, 2017 was the 54th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 311 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Did you know? It takes as little as 8 hours of one-on-one tutoring to improve a full letter grade, according to a nationwide poll of private tutors. Click here to search for a tutor today! More than 80,000 tutors in 300+ subjects. (Sponsored link; US only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Pisces horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
February 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1847Mexican-American War: Battle of Buena Vista – In Mexico, American troops under General Zachary Taylor defeat Mexican General Antonio López de Santa Anna.
- 1896The Tootsie Roll is invented.
- 1917First demonstrations in Saint Petersburg, Russia. The beginning of the February Revolution.
- 1943A fire breaks out at St. Joseph’s Orphanage, County Cavan, Ireland, killing 36 people (35 of whom are children).
- 1945World War II: The 11th Airborne Division, with Filipino guerrillas, free the captives of the Los Baños internment camp.
- 1947The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) is founded.
- 1980Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini states that Iran’s parliament will decide the fate of the American embassy hostages.
- 1991Gulf War: Ground troops cross the Saudi Arabian border and enter Iraq, thus beginning the ground phase of the war.
- 1998In the United States, tornadoes in central Florida destroy or damage 2,600 structures and kill 42.
- 2005The controversial French law on colonialism is passed, requiring teachers to teach the “positive values of colonialism”. After public outcry, it is repealed at the beginning of 2006.
Who were born on February 23?
- 1933Donna J. Stone, American poet (d. 1994)
- 1944Johnny Winter, American musician
- 1945Allan Boesak, South African activist
- 1955Howard Jones, British pop singer
- 1966Neal McDonough, American actor
- 1971Jeong Chan, South Korean actor
- 1972Alessandro Sturba, Italian footballer
- 1972Rondell White, American baseball player
- 1976Scott Elarton, American baseball player
- 1989Evan Bates, American ice dancer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.