February 28: Day of the Week
February 28, 2020 was the 59th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 307 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Brendan’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
February 28 Historical Event(s)
- 1638The Scottish National Covenant is signed in Edinburgh.
- 1700Today is followed by March 1 in Sweden, thus creating the Swedish calendar.
- 1710In the Battle of Helsingborg, 14,000 Danish invaders under Jørgen Rantzau are decisively defeated by an equally sized Swedish force under Magnus Stenbock.
- 1922The United Kingdom ends its protectorate over Egypt through a Unilateral Declaration of Independence.
- 1935DuPont scientist Wallace Carothers invents nylon.
- 1947228 Incident: In Taiwan, civil disorder is put down with the loss of 30,000 civilian lives.
- 1980Andalusia approves its statute of autonomy through a referendum.
- 1997GRB 970228, a highly luminous flash of gamma rays, strikes the Earth for 80 seconds, providing early evidence that gamma-ray bursts occur well beyond the Milky Way.
- 2001Six passengers and four railway staff are killed and a further 82 people suffer serious injuries in the Selby rail crash.
- 2004Over 1 million Taiwanese participating in the 228 Hand-in-Hand Rally form a 500 km long human chain to commemorate the 228 Incident in 1947
Who were born on February 28?
- 1838Maurice Lévy, French engineer (d. 1910)
- 1851Samuel W. McCall, 47th Governor of Massachusetts (d. 1923)
- 1865Wilfred Grenfell, medical missionary (d. 1940)
- 1895Marcel Pagnol, French novelist, playwright and film director (d. 1974)
- 1932Don Francks, Canadian actor
- 1978Jamaal Tinsley, American basketball player
- 1980Christian Poulsen, Danish footballer
- 1980Piotr Giza, Polish footballer
- 1988Aroldis Chapman, Cuban baseball player
- 1989Charles Jenkins, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.