February 8: Day of the Week
February 8, 2019 was the 39th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 326 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Edwin’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
February 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1575Universiteit Leiden is founded, and given the motto Praesidium Libertatis.
- 1693The College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia is granted a charter by King William III and Queen Mary II.
- 1807Battle of Eylau – Napoleon defeats Russians under General Benigssen.
- 1879Sandford Fleming first proposes adoption of Universal Standard Time at a meeting of the Royal Canadian Institute.
- 1921New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Rooster in Chinese astrology.
- 1960Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom issues an Order-in-Council, stating that she and her family would be known as the House of Windsor, and that her descendants will take the name “Mountbatten-Windsor”.
- 1963The regime of Prime Minister of Iraq, Brigadier General Abdul-Karim Qassem is overthrown by the Ba'ath Party.
- 1965After taking evasive maneuvers to avoid a mid-air collision immediately after takeoff from John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, Eastern Air Lines Flight 663 crashes into the Atlantic Ocean and explodes, killing everyone aboard.
- 1983The Melbourne dust storm hits Australia’s second largest city. The result of the worst drought on record and a day of severe weather conditions, a 320 m deep dust cloud envelops the city, turning day to night.
- 1996The U.S. Congress passes the Communications Decency Act.
Who were born on February 8?
- 1798Grand Duke Michael Pavlovich of Russia, Russian Grand Duke (d. 1849)
- 1878Martin Buber, Austrian-born Israeli philosopher (d. 1965)
- 1933Elly Ameling, Dutch soprano
- 1950Cristina Ferrare, American former supermodel and actress
- 1953Roger Clavet, Québécois politician
- 1965Dicky Cheung, Hong Kong actor and singer
- 1969Shiva Rose, American actress
- 1977Barry Hall, Australian footballer
- 1977Bridgette Kerkove, American actress
- 1989JaJuan Johnson, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.