February 9: Day of the Week
February 9, 2019 was the 40th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 325 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
February 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1775American Revolutionary War: The British Parliament declares Massachusetts in rebellion.
- 1861American Civil War: Jefferson Davis is elected the Provisional President of the Confederate States of America by the Confederate convention at Montgomery, Alabama.
- 1885The first Japanese government-approved immigrants arrive in Hawaii.
- 1959The R-7 Semyorka, the first intercontinental ballistic missile, becomes operational at Plesetsk, USSR.
- 1965Vietnam War: The first United States combat troops are sent to South Vietnam.
- 1971Satchel Paige becomes the first Negro League player to be voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
- 1973Biju Patnaik of the Pragati Legislature Party is elected leader of the opposition in the state assembly in Orissa, India.
- 1991Voters in Lithuania vote for independence.
- 2001The American submarine USS Greeneville accidentally strikes and sinks the Ehime-Maru, a Japanese training vessel operated by the Uwajima Fishery High School.
- 2005New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Rooster in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on February 9?
- 1756Karel Blažej Kopřiva, Czech composer (d. 1785)
- 1789Franz Xaver Gabelsberger, German inventor of the stenography (d. 1849)
- 1865Mrs. Patrick Campbell, British actress (d. 1940)
- 1892Peggy Wood, American actress (d. 1978)
- 1926Garret FitzGerald, 7th Taoiseach of the Republic of Ireland (d. 2011)
- 1947Joe Ely, American musician
- 1952Mookie Wilson, American baseball player
- 1954Christopher Gardner, American entrepreneur
- 1970Krister Linder, Swedish musician
- 1985Rachel Melvin, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.