February 9: Day of the Week
February 9, 2019 was the 40th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 325 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Lance’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
February 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1775American Revolutionary War: The British Parliament declares Massachusetts in rebellion.
- 1788The Habsburg Empire joins the Russo-Turkish War in the Russian camp.
- 1889President Grover Cleveland signs a bill elevating the United States Department of Agriculture to a Cabinet-level agency.
- 1895William G. Morgan creates a game called Mintonette, which soon comes to be referred to as volleyball.
- 1945World War II: A force of Allied aircraft unsuccessfully attacked a German destroyer in Førdefjorden, Norway.
- 1965Vietnam War: The first United States combat troops are sent to South Vietnam.
- 1967New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- 1971The Sylmar earthquake hits the San Fernando Valley area of California.
- 1991Voters in Lithuania vote for independence.
- 1995Space Shuttle astronauts Bernard A. Harris, Jr. and Michael Foale become the first African American and first Briton, respectively, to perform spacewalks.
Who were born on February 9?
- 1533Shimazu Yoshihisa, Japanese samurai (d. 1611)
- 1781Johann Baptist von Spix, German scientist (d. 1826)
- 1846Whitaker Wright, English mining tycoon (d. 1904)
- 1893Georgios Athanasiadis-Novas, Greek lawyer, politician and Prime Minister (d. 1987)
- 1916Tex Hughson, American baseball player (d. 1993)
- 1929Clement Meadmore, Australian-born sculptor (d. 2005)
- 1937Tomislav Gotovac, Croatian movie director, actor, performer, multimedia and conceptual artist (d. 2010.)
- 1947Carla Del Ponte, Swiss UN prosecutor
- 1960Holly Johnson, British singer (Frankie Goes to Hollywood)
- 1985David Gallagher, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.