February 9: Day of the Week
February 9, 2018 was the 40th day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 325 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Aquarius horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
February 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1621Gregory XV becomes Pope, the last Pope elected by acclamation.
- 1775American Revolutionary War: The British Parliament declares Massachusetts in rebellion.
- 1895William G. Morgan creates a game called Mintonette, which soon comes to be referred to as volleyball.
- 1900The Davis Cup competition is established.
- 1904Russo–Japanese War: Battle of Port Arthur concludes.
- 1913A group of meteors is visible across much of the eastern seaboard of North and South America, leading astronomers to conclude the source had been a small, short-lived natural satellite of the Earth.
- 1945World War II: The Battle of the Atlantic – HMS Venturer sinks U-864 off the coast of Fedje, Norway, in a rare instance of submarine-to-submarine combat.
- 1964The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a “record-busting” audience of 73 million viewers.
- 1971The Sylmar earthquake hits the San Fernando Valley area of California.
- 2005New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Rooster in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on February 9?
- 1666George Hamilton, 1st Earl of Orkney, British soldier (d. 1737)
- 1756Karel Blažej Kopřiva, Czech composer (d. 1785)
- 1885Alban Berg, Austrian composer (d. 1935)
- 1901Brian Donlevy, Irish actor (d. 1972)
- 1931Josef Masopust, Czech footballer
- 1944Derryn Hinch, Australian media personality
- 1949Judith Light, American actress
- 1950Richard F. Colburn, American politician
- 1954Mary Jo Duffy, American comic book writer and editor
- 1966Ellen van Langen, Dutch athlete
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.