February 9: Day of the Week
February 9, 2021 was the 40th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 325 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters UOSUPPV? Check your answers here: Words with these letters UOSUPPV. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
February 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1621Gregory XV becomes Pope, the last Pope elected by acclamation.
- 1861American Civil War: Jefferson Davis is elected the Provisional President of the Confederate States of America by the Confederate convention at Montgomery, Alabama.
- 1885The first Japanese government-approved immigrants arrive in Hawaii.
- 1895William G. Morgan creates a game called Mintonette, which soon comes to be referred to as volleyball.
- 1920Under the terms of the Spitsbergen Treaty, international diplomacy recognizes Norwegian sovereignty over Arctic archipelago Svalbard, and designates it as demilitarized.
- 1934The Balkan Entente is formed.
- 1945World War II: A force of Allied aircraft unsuccessfully attacked a German destroyer in Førdefjorden, Norway.
- 1951Geochang massacre: Korean War
- 1967New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- 1971The Sylmar earthquake hits the San Fernando Valley area of California.
Who were born on February 9?
- 1533Shimazu Yoshihisa, Japanese samurai (d. 1611)
- 1865Mrs. Patrick Campbell, British actress (d. 1940)
- 1874Amy Lowell, American poet (d. 1925)
- 1910Jacques Monod, French biochemist, Nobel laureate (d. 1976)
- 1944Alice Walker, American writer
- 1947Joe Ely, American musician
- 1955Charles Shaughnessy, British actor
- 1969Tom Scharpling, American radio-host
- 1980Shelly Martinez, American wrestler
- 1981John Walker Lindh, American Taliban fighter
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.