February 9: Day of the Week
February 9, 2020 was the 40th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 326 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Desiree’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
February 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1621Gregory XV becomes Pope, the last Pope elected by acclamation.
- 1825After no presidential candidate receives a majority of electoral votes in the election of 1824, the United States House of Representatives elects John Quincy Adams President of the United States.
- 1849New Roman Republic established
- 1885The first Japanese government-approved immigrants arrive in Hawaii.
- 1895William G. Morgan creates a game called Mintonette, which soon comes to be referred to as volleyball.
- 1945World War II: The Battle of the Atlantic – HMS Venturer sinks U-864 off the coast of Fedje, Norway, in a rare instance of submarine-to-submarine combat.
- 1967New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- 1971Apollo program: Apollo 14 returns to Earth after the third manned moon landing.
- 1971Satchel Paige becomes the first Negro League player to be voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
- 1975The Soyuz 17 Soviet spacecraft returns to Earth.
Who were born on February 9?
- 1814Samuel Jones Tilden, 28th Governor of New York (d. 1886)
- 1897Charles Kingsford Smith, Australian pilot (d. 1935)
- 1909Harald Genzmer, German composer (d. 2007)
- 1914Ernest Tubb, American singer (d. 1984)
- 1937Tomislav Gotovac, Croatian movie director, actor, performer, multimedia and conceptual artist (d. 2010.)
- 1966Ellen van Langen, Dutch athlete
- 1972Norbert Rózsa, Hungarian swimmer
- 1979Irina Slutskaya, Russian figure skater
- 1981Joël Camathias, Swiss racing driver
- 1982Ami Suzuki, Japanese singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.