February 9: Day of the Week
February 9, 2021 was the 40th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 325 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Lilly’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
February 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1621Gregory XV becomes Pope, the last Pope elected by acclamation.
- 1870President Ulysses S. Grant signs a joint resolution of Congress establishing the U.S. Weather Bureau.
- 1904Russo–Japanese War: Battle of Port Arthur concludes.
- 1942World War II: Top United States military leaders hold their first formal meeting to discuss American military strategy in the war.
- 1945World War II: The Battle of the Atlantic – HMS Venturer sinks U-864 off the coast of Fedje, Norway, in a rare instance of submarine-to-submarine combat.
- 1971Apollo program: Apollo 14 returns to Earth after the third manned moon landing.
- 1973Biju Patnaik of the Pragati Legislature Party is elected leader of the opposition in the state assembly in Orissa, India.
- 1975The Soyuz 17 Soviet spacecraft returns to Earth.
- 1995Space Shuttle astronauts Bernard A. Harris, Jr. and Michael Foale become the first African American and first Briton, respectively, to perform spacewalks.
- 2005New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Rooster in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on February 9?
- 1533Shimazu Yoshihisa, Japanese samurai (d. 1611)
- 1748Luther Martin, American patriot (d. 1826)
- 1773William Henry Harrison, 9th President of the United States (d. 1841)
- 1871Howard Taylor Ricketts, American bacteriologist. (d. 1910)
- 1897Charles Kingsford Smith, Australian pilot (d. 1935)
- 1909Harald Genzmer, German composer (d. 2007)
- 1925Burkhard Heim, German physicist (d. 2001)
- 1929Danny Malloy (Boxer), Scottish professional boxer and footballer
- 1953Ciarán Hinds, Northern Irish actor
- 1961John Kruk, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.