February 9: Day of the Week
February 9, 2020 was the 40th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 326 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters MXNAEICTV? Check your answers here: Word scramble MXNAEICTV. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
February 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1775American Revolutionary War: The British Parliament declares Massachusetts in rebellion.
- 1895William G. Morgan creates a game called Mintonette, which soon comes to be referred to as volleyball.
- 1904Russo–Japanese War: Battle of Port Arthur concludes.
- 1945World War II: A force of Allied aircraft unsuccessfully attacked a German destroyer in Førdefjorden, Norway.
- 1964The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a “record-busting” audience of 73 million viewers.
- 1967New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- 1971Satchel Paige becomes the first Negro League player to be voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
- 1975The Soyuz 17 Soviet spacecraft returns to Earth.
- 1996The Provisional Irish Republican Army declares the end to its 18 month ceasefire and explodes a large bomb in London’s Canary Wharf.
- 2001The American submarine USS Greeneville accidentally strikes and sinks the Ehime-Maru, a Japanese training vessel operated by the Uwajima Fishery High School.
Who were born on February 9?
- 1775Farkas Bolyai, Hungarian mathematician (d. 1856)
- 1932Tatsuro Hirooka, Japanese baseball player
- 1937Tomislav Gotovac, Croatian movie director, actor, performer, multimedia and conceptual artist (d. 2010.)
- 1942Carole King, American singer
- 1961Jussi Lampi, Finnish musician and actor
- 1967Todd Pratt, American baseball player
- 1968Rahul Roy, Indian actor
- 1980Shelly Martinez, American wrestler
- 1987Davide Lanzafame, Italian footballer
- 1988Lotte Friis, Danish swimmer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.