February 9: Day of the Week
February 9, 2023 was the 40th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 325 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters DAABOYLN? Check your answers here: Word solver DAABOYLN. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1621Gregory XV becomes Pope, the last Pope elected by acclamation.
- 1788The Habsburg Empire joins the Russo-Turkish War in the Russian camp.
- 1825After no presidential candidate receives a majority of electoral votes in the election of 1824, the United States House of Representatives elects John Quincy Adams President of the United States.
- 1849New Roman Republic established
- 1895William G. Morgan creates a game called Mintonette, which soon comes to be referred to as volleyball.
- 1920Under the terms of the Spitsbergen Treaty, international diplomacy recognizes Norwegian sovereignty over Arctic archipelago Svalbard, and designates it as demilitarized.
- 1922Brazil becomes a member of the Berne Convention copyright treaty.
- 1945World War II: The Battle of the Atlantic – HMS Venturer sinks U-864 off the coast of Fedje, Norway, in a rare instance of submarine-to-submarine combat.
- 1965Vietnam War: The first United States combat troops are sent to South Vietnam.
- 1967New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Sheep in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on February 9?
- 1763Ludwig I, Grand Duke of Baden (d. 1830)
- 1775Farkas Bolyai, Hungarian mathematician (d. 1856)
- 1839Silas Adams, American lawyer and politician (d. 1896)
- 1891Ronald Colman, English actor (d. 1958)
- 1893Georgios Athanasiadis-Novas, Greek lawyer, politician and Prime Minister (d. 1987)
- 1906André Kostolany, stock market expert and speculator (d. 1999)
- 1954Kevin Warwick, cyborg scientist
- 1962Anik Bissonnette, French-Canadian ballet dancer (Les Grands Ballets Canadiens)
- 1983Mikel Arruabarrena, Spanish footballer
- 1985David Gallagher, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.