February 9: Day of the Week
February 9, 2019 was the 40th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 325 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
February 9 Historical Event(s)
- 474Zeno crowned as co-emperor of the Byzantine Empire.
- 1555Bishop of Gloucester John Hooper is burned at the stake.
- 1889President Grover Cleveland signs a bill elevating the United States Department of Agriculture to a Cabinet-level agency.
- 1895William G. Morgan creates a game called Mintonette, which soon comes to be referred to as volleyball.
- 1900The Davis Cup competition is established.
- 1965Vietnam War: The first United States combat troops are sent to South Vietnam.
- 1971Apollo program: Apollo 14 returns to Earth after the third manned moon landing.
- 1973Biju Patnaik of the Pragati Legislature Party is elected leader of the opposition in the state assembly in Orissa, India.
- 1975The Soyuz 17 Soviet spacecraft returns to Earth.
- 2005New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Rooster in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on February 9?
- 1747John Thomas Duckworth, Royal Navy admiral (d. 1817)
- 1901Brian Donlevy, Irish actor (d. 1972)
- 1926Garret FitzGerald, 7th Taoiseach of the Republic of Ireland (d. 2011)
- 1928Frank Frazetta, American illustrator (d. 2010)
- 1928Rinus Michels, Dutch football coach (d. 2005)
- 1928Roger Mudd, American journalist
- 1929Clement Meadmore, Australian-born sculptor (d. 2005)
- 1949Judith Light, American actress
- 1969Jimmy Smith, American football player
- 1989Gia Farrell, American singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.