January 1: Day of the Week
January 1, 2019 was the 1st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 364 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Louis’ personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 1: This Day in History
The preceding day is December 31 of the previous year.
During the Middle Ages under the influence of the Christian Church, many countries moved the start of the year to one of several important Christian festivals — December 25 (the Nativity of Jesus), March 1, March 25 (the Annunciation), or even Easter. Eastern European countries (most of them with populations showing allegiance to the Orthodox Church) began their numbered year on September 1 from about 988.
In England, January 1 was celebrated as the New Year festival, but from the 12th century to 1752 the year in England began on March 25 (Lady Day). So, for example, the Parliamentary record records the execution of Charles I occurring in 1648 (as the year did not end until March 24), although modern histories adjust the start of the year to January 1 and record the execution as occurring in 1649.
Most western European countries changed the start of the year to January 1 before they adopted the Gregorian calendar. For example, Scotland changed the start of the Scottish New Year to January 1 in 1600. England, Ireland and the British colonies changed the start of the year to January 1 in 1752. Later that year in September, the Gregorian calendar was introduced throughout Britain and the British colonies. These two reforms were implemented by the Calendar (New Style) Act 1750.
January 1 became the official start of the year as follows:
- 1522 The Republic of Venice
- 1544 Holy Roman Empire (Germany)
- 1556 Spain, Portugal
- 1559 Prussia, Sweden
- 1564 France
- 1576 Southern Netherlands
- 1579 Lorraine
- 1583 United Provinces of the Netherlands (northern)
- 1600 Scotland
- 1700 Russia
- 1721 Tuscany
- 1752 Great Britain (excluding Scotland) and its colonies
January 1 Historical Event(s)
- 1438Albert II of Habsburg is crowned King of Hungary.
- 1527Croatian nobles elect Ferdinand I of Austria as king of Croatia in the Parliament on Cetin.
- 1700Russia begins using the Anno Domini era and no longer uses the Anno Mundi era of the Byzantine Empire.
- 1804French rule ends in Haiti. Haiti becomes the first black republic and second independent country in North America after the United States
- 1810Major-General Lachlan Macquarie CB officially becomes Governor of New South Wales
- 1892Ellis Island opens to begin processing immigrants into the United States.
- 1910Captain David Beatty is promoted to Rear Admiral, and becomes the youngest admiral in the Royal Navy (except for Royal family members), since Horatio Nelson.
- 1932The United States Post Office Department issues a set of 12 stamps commemorating the 200th anniversary of George Washington’s birth.
- 1945World War II: Operation Nordwind, the last major German offensive on the Western Front begins.
- 1993Dissolution of Czechoslovakia: Czechoslovakia is divided into Slovakia and the Czech Republic.
Who were born on January 1?
- 1904Fazal Ilahi Chaudhry, Pakistani politician (d. 1982)
- 1936James Sinegal, American businessman
- 1949Max Azria, French fashion designer
- 1950Wayne Bennett, Australian rugby league coach
- 1952Rosario Marchese, Italian-Canadian politician
- 1967John Digweed, English DJ
- 1967Juanma Bajo Ulloa, Spanish film director
- 1969Verne Troyer, American actor
- 1980Lazaros Agadakos, Greek basketball player
- 1981Eden Riegel, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.