January 1: Day of the Week
January 1, 2021 was the 1st day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 364 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OIIUFFRAN? Check your answers here: Word search OIIUFFRAN. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 1: This Day in History
The preceding day is December 31 of the previous year.
During the Middle Ages under the influence of the Christian Church, many countries moved the start of the year to one of several important Christian festivals — December 25 (the Nativity of Jesus), March 1, March 25 (the Annunciation), or even Easter. Eastern European countries (most of them with populations showing allegiance to the Orthodox Church) began their numbered year on September 1 from about 988.
In England, January 1 was celebrated as the New Year festival, but from the 12th century to 1752 the year in England began on March 25 (Lady Day). So, for example, the Parliamentary record records the execution of Charles I occurring in 1648 (as the year did not end until March 24), although modern histories adjust the start of the year to January 1 and record the execution as occurring in 1649.
Most western European countries changed the start of the year to January 1 before they adopted the Gregorian calendar. For example, Scotland changed the start of the Scottish New Year to January 1 in 1600. England, Ireland and the British colonies changed the start of the year to January 1 in 1752. Later that year in September, the Gregorian calendar was introduced throughout Britain and the British colonies. These two reforms were implemented by the Calendar (New Style) Act 1750.
January 1 became the official start of the year as follows:
- 1522 The Republic of Venice
- 1544 Holy Roman Empire (Germany)
- 1556 Spain, Portugal
- 1559 Prussia, Sweden
- 1564 France
- 1576 Southern Netherlands
- 1579 Lorraine
- 1583 United Provinces of the Netherlands (northern)
- 1600 Scotland
- 1700 Russia
- 1721 Tuscany
- 1752 Great Britain (excluding Scotland) and its colonies
January 1 Historical Event(s)
- 1259Michael VIII Palaiologos is proclaimed co-emperor of the Empire of Nicaea with his ward John IV Laskaris.
- 1707John V is crowned King of Portugal.
- 1739Bouvet Island is discovered by French explorer Jean-Baptiste Charles Bouvet de Lozier.
- 1804French rule ends in Haiti. Haiti becomes the first black republic and second independent country in North America after the United States
- 1806The French Republican Calendar is abolished.
- 1908For the first time, a ball is dropped in New York, New York’s Times Square to signify the start of the New Year at midnight.
- 1947The American and British occupation zones in Germany, after World War II, merge to form the Bizone, that later became West Germany.
- 1948The Constitution of Italy comes into force.
- 1973Denmark, the United Kingdom, and Ireland are admitted into the European Community.
- 1990David Dinkins is sworn in as New York City’s first black mayor.
Who were born on January 1?
- 1511Henry, Duke of Cornwall (d. 1511)
- 1879E. M. Forster, English novelist (d. 1970)
- 1881Vajiravudh, King of Thailand (d. 1925)
- 1932Giuseppe Patanè, Italian opera conductor (d. 1989)
- 1938Frank Langella, American actor
- 1943Larry Clark, American director
- 1947Jon Corzine, American politician, 54th Governor of New Jersey and former United States Senator from New Jersey
- 1964Dedee Pfeiffer, American actress
- 1985Eyjólfur Héðinsson, Icelandic professional footballer and model
- 1992He Kexin, Chinese gymnast
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.