January 11: Day of the Week
January 11, 2020 was the 11th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 355 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Gina’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1055Theodora is crowned Empress of the Byzantine Empire.
- 1569First recorded lottery in England.
- 1693Mt. Etna erupts in Sicily, Italy. A powerful earthquake destroys parts of Sicily and Malta.
- 1863American Civil War: Battle of Arkansas Post – General John McClernand and Admiral David Dixon Porter capture the Arkansas River for the Union.
- 1927Louis B. Mayer, head of film studio Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM), announced the creation of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences at a banquet in Los Angeles, California.
- 1935Amelia Earhart is the first person to fly solo from Hawaii to California.
- 1946Enver Hoxha declares the People’s Republic of Albania with himself as president.
- 1949The first “networked” television broadcasts take place as KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania goes on the air connecting the east coast and mid-west programming.
- 1964United States Surgeon General Dr. Luther Leonidas Terry, M.D., publishes a landmark report saying that smoking may be hazardous to health, sparking nation- and worldwide anti-smoking efforts.
- 1998Sidi-Hamed massacre takes place in Algeria, over 100 people are killed.
Who were born on January 11?
- 1671François-Marie, 1st duc de Broglie, French military leader (d. 1745)
- 1905Clyde Kluckhohn, American anthropologist (d. 1960)
- 1911Zenko Suzuki, Prime Minister of Japan (d. 2004)
- 1921Juanita M. Kreps, American economist, educator, & civil servant; 24th United States Secretary of Commerce (d. 2010)
- 1922Ernle Bradford, English historian and writer (d. 1986)
- 1923Jerome Bixby, American writer (d. 1998)
- 1924Sam B. Hall, American politician (d. 1994)
- 1944Shibu Soren, Indian politician
- 1959Rob Ramage, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1967Derek Riddell, Scottish actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.