January 11: Day of the Week
January 11, 2021 was the 11th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 354 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters KOTAIP? Check your answers here: Word scramble KOTAIP. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1693Mt. Etna erupts in Sicily, Italy. A powerful earthquake destroys parts of Sicily and Malta.
- 1759In Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the first American life insurance company is incorporated.
- 1779Ching-Thang Khomba is crowned King of Manipur.
- 1794Robert Forsythe, a U.S. Marshal is killed in Augusta, Georgia when trying to serve court papers, the first US marshal to die while carrying out his duties.
- 1863American Civil War: ship CSS encountered and sank the USS Hatteras off Galveston Lighthouse in Texas.
- 1919Romania annexes Transylvania.
- 1943Italian-American Anarchist Carlo Tresca is assassinated in New York
- 1949The first “networked” television broadcasts take place as KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania goes on the air connecting the east coast and mid-west programming.
- 1957The African Convention is founded in Dakar.
- 1994The Irish Government announces the end of a 15-year broadcasting ban on the IRA and its political arm Sinn Féin.
Who were born on January 11?
- 1858Harry Gordon Selfridge, American retailer (d. 1947)
- 1870Alexander Stirling Calder, American sculptor (d. 1945)
- 1885Alice Paul, American women’s rights activist (d. 1977)
- 1887Aldo Leopold, American ecologist (d. 1948)
- 1926Lev Demin, Soviet cosmonaut (d. 1998)
- 1932Alfonso Arau, Mexican film director
- 1946Naomi Judd, American singer
- 1953John Sessions, Scottish actor
- 1985Newton Faulkner, British singer
- 1989Darko Bodul, Croatian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.