January 11: Day of the Week
January 11, 2019 was the 11th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 354 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
January 11 Historical Event(s)
- 630Muhammad leads an army of 10,000 to conquer Mecca.
- 1569First recorded lottery in England.
- 1759In Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the first American life insurance company is incorporated.
- 1879The Anglo-Zulu War begins.
- 1908Grand Canyon National Monument is created.
- 1917The Kingsland munitions factory explosion occurs as a result of sabotage.
- 1935Amelia Earhart is the first person to fly solo from Hawaii to California.
- 1942World War II: Japan declares war on the Netherlands and invades the Netherlands East Indies.
- 1949The first “networked” television broadcasts take place as KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania goes on the air connecting the east coast and mid-west programming.
- 1994The Irish Government announces the end of a 15-year broadcasting ban on the IRA and its political arm Sinn Féin.
Who were born on January 11?
- 1903Alan Paton, South African writer (d. 1988)
- 1911Nora Heysen, Australian artist (d. 2003)
- 1925Grant Tinker, American television executive
- 1938John August Swanson, American artist
- 1952Ben Crenshaw, American golfer
- 1968Anders Borg, Swedish politician
- 1970Chris Jent, American basketball player and coach
- 1973Rockmond Dunbar, American actor
- 1981Tom Meighan, English singer (Kasabian)
- 1997Cody Simpson, Australian singer-songwriter
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.