January 13: Day of the Week
January 13, 2020 was the 13th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 353 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters JEUDDEAA? Check your answers here: Word scramble JEUDDEAA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 13: This Day in History
It is still celebrated as New Year’s Eve (at least in the 20th & 21st centuries) by countries still using the thirteen-day-slower Julian calendar (Old New Year).
January 13 Historical Event(s)
- 1328Edward III of England marries Philippa of Hainault, daughter of the Count of Hainault.
- 1797French Revolutionary Wars: A naval battle between a French ship of the line and two British frigates off the coast of Brittany ends with the French vessel running ashore, resulting in the death of over 900.
- 1815War of 1812: British troops capture Fort Peter in St. Marys, Georgia, the only battle of the war to take place in the state.
- 1840The steamship Lexington burns and sinks four miles off the coast of Long Island with the loss of 139 lives.
- 1842Dr. William Brydon, an assistant surgeon in the British East India Company Army during the First Anglo-Afghan War, becomes famous for being the sole survivor of an army of 4,500 men and 12,000 camp followers when he reaches the safety of a garrison in Jalalabad.
- 1869National convention of black leaders meets in Washington D.C.
- 1898Emile Zola’s J'accuse exposes the Dreyfus affair.
- 1942Henry Ford patents a plastic automobile, which is 30% lighter than a regular car.
- 1953An article appears in Pravda accusing some of the most prestigious and prominent doctors, mostly Jews, in the Soviet Union of taking part in a vast plot to poison members of the top Soviet political and military leadership.
- 1993Space Shuttle program: Endeavour heads for space for the third time as STS-54 launches from the Kennedy Space Center.
Who were born on January 13?
- 1883Prince Arthur of Connaught (d. 1938)
- 1893Clark Ashton Smith, American writer (d. 1961)
- 1923Daniil Shafran, Russian cellist (d. 1997)
- 1939Jacek Gmoch, Polish footballer and coach
- 1961Wayne Coyne, American singer (The Flaming Lips)
- 1964Penelope Ann Miller, American actress
- 1969Stephen Hendry, Scottish snooker player
- 1976Michael Peña, American actor
- 1977James Posey, American basketball player
- 1983Ronny Turiaf, French basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.