January 14: Day of the Week
January 14, 2021 was the 14th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 351 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OUWOUNYPNAB? Check your answers here: Unscramble words OUWOUNYPNAB. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 14: This Day in History
It is celebrated as New Year’s Day (at least in the 20th and 21st centuries) by countries still following the Julian calendar.
January 14 Historical Event(s)
- 1761The Third Battle of Panipat is fought in India between the Afghans under Ahmad Shah Durrani and the Marhatas. The Afghan victory changes the course of Indian History.
- 1858Napoleon III of France escapes an assassination attempt.
- 1907An earthquake in Kingston, Jamaica kills more than 1,000.
- 1938Norway claims Queen Maud Land in Antarctica.
- 1943World War II: Franklin D. Roosevelt and Winston Churchill begin the Casablanca Conference to discuss strategy and study the next phase of the war.
- 1952NBC’s long-running morning news program Today debuts, with host Dave Garroway.
- 1954Jagadguru Kripalu Maharaj was named fifth Jagadguru (world teacher) after giving seven days of speeches before 500 Hindu scholars.
- 1954The Hudson Motor Car Company merges with Nash-Kelvinator Corporation forming the American Motors Corporation.
- 1960The Reserve Bank of Australia, the country’s central bank and banknote issuing authority, is established.
- 1972Queen Margrethe II of Denmark ascends the throne, the first Queen of Denmark since 1412 and the first Danish monarch not named Frederick or Christian since 1513.
Who were born on January 14?
- 1806Matthew Fontaine Maury American oceanographer (d. 1873)
- 1850Jean de Reszke, Polish operatic tenor (d. 1925)
- 1863Manuel Gomes da Costa, 96th Prime Minister of Portugal and 10th President of Portugal (d. 1929)
- 1882Hendrik Willem van Loon, Dutch-American historian and journalist (d. 1944)
- 1901Alfred Tarski, Polish logician and mathematician (d. 1983)
- 1911Norman ‘Sailor Jerry’Collins, Tattoo artist (d. 1973)
- 1925Yukio Mishima, Japanese writer (d. 1970)
- 1928Lars Forssell, Swedish writer (d. 2007)
- 1978Just Blaze, American hip hop producer
- 1986Alessio Cossu, Italian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.