January 14: Day of the Week
January 14, 2023 was the 14th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 351 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters UGAKEUILQ? Check your answers here: Word search UGAKEUILQ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 14: This Day in History
It is celebrated as New Year’s Day (at least in the 20th and 21st centuries) by countries still following the Julian calendar.
January 14 Historical Event(s)
- 1343Arnošt of Pardubice became the last bishop of Prague.
- 1822Greek War of Independence: Acrocorinth is captured by Theodoros Kolokotronis and Demetrius Ypsilanti.
- 1858Napoleon III of France escapes an assassination attempt.
- 1911Roald Amundsen’s South Pole expedition makes landfall on the eastern edge of the Ross Ice Shelf.
- 1943World War II: Operation Ke, the successful Japanese operation to evacuate their forces from Guadalcanal during the Guadalcanal campaign, begins.
- 1954The Hudson Motor Car Company merges with Nash-Kelvinator Corporation forming the American Motors Corporation.
- 1972Queen Margrethe II of Denmark ascends the throne, the first Queen of Denmark since 1412 and the first Danish monarch not named Frederick or Christian since 1513.
- 1973Elvis Presley’s concert Aloha from Hawaii is broadcast live via satellite, and sets a record as the most watched broadcast by an individual entertainer in television history.
- 2005Landing of the Huygens probe on Saturn’s moon Titan.
- 2011Ben Ali, former Tunisian president, fled the country to Saudi Arabia after popular protests (dubbed as Jasmine Revolution) requesting his departure.
Who were born on January 14?
- 1767Maria Theresa of Tuscany, queen consort of Saxony (d. 1827)
- 1886Hugh Lofting, English author (d. 1947)
- 1904Babe Siebert, National Hockey League player (d. 1939)
- 1904Emily Hahn, American writer (d. 1997)
- 1904Sir Cecil Beaton, English photographer (d. 1980)
- 1935Lucille Wheeler, Canadian alpine skier
- 1937Erland Kops, Danish badminton player
- 1942Ian Brayshaw, Australian cricketer and footballer
- 1943Shannon Lucid, American astronaut
- 1984Erick Aybar, Professional baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.