January 15: Day of the Week
January 15, 2021 was the 15th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 350 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OQOAGNF? Check your answers here: Words with these letters OQOAGNF. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 15 Historical Event(s)
- 1759The British Museum opens.
- 1865American Civil War: Fort Fisher in North Carolina falls to the Union, thus cutting off the last major seaport of the Confederacy.
- 1870A political cartoon for the first time symbolizes the United States Democratic Party with a donkey (“A Live Jackass Kicking a Dead Lion” by Thomas Nast for Harper’s Weekly).
- 1892James Naismith publishes the rules of basketball.
- 1919Boston Molasses Disaster: A large molasses tank in Boston, bursts and a wave of molasses rushes through the streets, killing 21 people and injuring 150 others.
- 1943The world’s largest office building, The Pentagon, is dedicated in Arlington, Virginia.
- 1967The first Super Bowl is played in Los Angeles. The Green Bay Packers defeat the Kansas City Chiefs 35-10
- 1976Gerald Ford’s would-be assassin, Sara Jane Moore, is sentenced to life in prison.
- 1986The Living Seas opens at EPCOT Center in Walt Disney World, Florida.
- 1992The international community recognizes the independence of Slovenia and Croatia from the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia.
Who were born on January 15?
- 1671Abraham de la Pryme, English antiquarian (d. 1704)
- 1879Mazo de la Roche, Canadian author (d. 1961)
- 1882Princess Margaret of Connaught (d. 1920)
- 1900William Heinesen, Faroese writer, poet and artist (d. 1991)
- 1920Steve Gromek, American baseball player (d. 2002)
- 1957Mario Van Peebles, American actor
- 1959Pavle Kozjek, Slovenian climber (d. 2008)
- 1961Yves P. Pelletier, Canadian comedian and film director
- 1963Conrad Lant, English musician
- 1981Howie Day, American singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.