January 15: Day of the Week
January 15, 2021 was the 15th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 350 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters RTAUCAUUWVCH? Check your answers here: Unscramble words RTAUCAUUWVCH. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 15 Historical Event(s)
- 69Otho seizes power in Rome, proclaiming himself Emperor of Rome, but rules for only three months before committing suicide.
- 1908The Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority becomes the first Greek-letter organization founded and established by African-American college women.
- 1919Boston Molasses Disaster: A large molasses tank in Boston, bursts and a wave of molasses rushes through the streets, killing 21 people and injuring 150 others.
- 1919Rosa Luxemburg and Karl Liebknecht, two of the most prominent socialists in Germany, are tortured and murdered by the Freikorps.
- 1951Ilse Koch, “The Witch of Buchenwald”, wife of the commandant of the Buchenwald concentration camp, is sentenced to life imprisonment by a court in West Germany.
- 1966The Nigerian First Republic, led by Abubakar Tafawa Balewa is overthrown in a military coup d’état.
- 1967The first Super Bowl is played in Los Angeles. The Green Bay Packers defeat the Kansas City Chiefs 35-10
- 1969The Soviet Union launches Soyuz 5.
- 1991Elizabeth II, in her capacity as Queen of Australia, signs letters patent allowing Australia to become the first Commonwealth Realm to institute its own separate Victoria Cross award in its own honours system.
- 2005An intense solar flare blasts X-rays across the solar system.
Who were born on January 15?
- 1432King Afonso V of Portugal (d. 1481)
- 1875Thomas Burke, American sprinter (d. 1929)
- 1878Johanna Müller-Hermann, Austrian composer and pedagogue (d. 1941)
- 1929Martin Luther King, Jr., American civil rights leader, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (d. 1968)
- 1945William R. Higgins, USMC colonel (d. 1990)
- 1948Ronnie Van Zant, American singer (Lynyrd Skynyrd) (d. 1977)
- 1967Lisa Lisa, American R&B singer
- 1968Chad Lowe, American actor
- 1986Fred Davis, American football player
- 1990Robert Trznadel, Polish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.