January 16: Day of the Week
January 16, 2020 was the 16th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 350 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Kelly’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 16 Historical Event(s)
- 550Gothic War (535–554): The Ostrogoths, under King Totila, conquer Rome after a long siege, by bribing the Isaurian garrison.
- 1120The Council of Nablus is held, establishing the earliest surviving written laws of the Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem.
- 1572Thomas Howard, 4th Duke of Norfolk is tried for treason for his part in the Ridolfi plot to restore Catholicism in England.
- 1847John C. Fremont is appointed Governor of the new California Territory.
- 1883The Pendleton Civil Service Reform Act, establishing the United States Civil Service, is passed.
- 1920The League of Nations holds its first council meeting in Paris.
- 1924Eleftherios Venizelos becomes Prime Minister of Greece for the fourth time.
- 1938The Benny Goodman Orchestra performed the first jazz concert at Carnegie Hall.
- 1968The Youth International Party is founded.
- 2001US President Bill Clinton awards former President Theodore Roosevelt a posthumous Medal of Honor for his service in the Spanish-American War.
Who were born on January 16?
- 1834Robert R. Hitt, American politician (d. 1906)
- 1836King Francis II of the Two Sicilies (d. 1894)
- 1853Sir Johnston Forbes-Robertson, English actor and theatre manager (d. 1937)
- 1915Leslie H. Martinson, American television and film director.
- 1942René Angélil, Canadian music executive
- 1943Brian Ferneyhough, British composer
- 1963James May, English television presenter
- 1979Mark Anthony Fernandez, Filipino actor
- 1980Seydou Keita, Malian footballer
- 1989Yvonne Zima, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.