January 16: Day of the Week
January 16, 2019 was the 16th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 349 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
January 16 Historical Event(s)
- 27 BCGaius Julius Caesar Octavianus is granted the title Augustus by the Roman Senate, marking the beginning of the Roman Empire.
- 1581The English Parliament outlaws Roman Catholicism.
- 1605The first edition of El ingenioso hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha (Book One of Don Quixote) by Miguel de Cervantes is published in Madrid.
- 1707The Scottish Parliament ratifies the Act of Union, paving the way for the creation of Great Britain.
- 1786The Commonwealth of Virginia enacted the Statute for Religious Freedom authored by Thomas Jefferson.
- 1896Defeat of Cymru Fydd at South Wales Liberal Federation AGM, Newport, Monmouthshire.
- 1924Eleftherios Venizelos becomes Prime Minister of Greece for the fourth time.
- 1968The Youth International Party is founded.
- 1970Buckminster Fuller receives the Gold Medal award from the American Institute of Architects.
- 2002The UN Security Council unanimously establishes an arms embargo and the freezing of assets of Osama bin Laden, Al-Qaida, and the remaining members of the Taliban.
Who were born on January 16?
- 1245Edmund Crouchback, son of Henry III of England (d. 1296)
- 1815Henry W. Halleck, American Civil War general (d. 1872)
- 1853Gen Sir Ian Hamilton, British military commander (d. 1947)
- 1875Leonor Michaelis, German enzyme kinetic theorist (d. 1947)
- 1893Daisy Kennedy, Australian violinist (d. 1981)
- 1934Marilyn Horne, American opera singer
- 1947Harvey Proctor, British politician
- 1950Damo Suzuki, Japanese singer (Can)
- 1952King Fuad II of Egypt
- 1987Lauren McAvoy, British fashion model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.