January 16: Day of the Week
January 16, 2021 was the 16th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 349 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ODIIMSPO? Check your answers here: Word search ODIIMSPO. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 16 Historical Event(s)
- 550Gothic War (535–554): The Ostrogoths, under King Totila, conquer Rome after a long siege, by bribing the Isaurian garrison.
- 1492The first grammar of the Spanish language is presented to Queen Isabella I.
- 1707The Scottish Parliament ratifies the Act of Union, paving the way for the creation of Great Britain.
- 1909Ernest Shackleton’s expedition finds the magnetic South Pole.
- 1919Temperance movement: The United States ratifies the Eighteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, authorizing Prohibition in the United States one year after ratification.
- 1920The League of Nations holds its first council meeting in Paris.
- 1924Eleftherios Venizelos becomes Prime Minister of Greece for the fourth time.
- 1939The Irish Republican Army (IRA) begins a bombing and sabotage campaign in England.
- 1942Crash of TWA Flight 3, killing all 22 aboard, including film star Carole Lombard.
- 1945Adolf Hitler moves into his underground bunker, the so-called Führerbunker.
Who were born on January 16?
- 1910Dizzy Dean, American baseball player (d. 1974)
- 1923Anthony Hecht, American poet (d. 2004)
- 1969Per Yngve “Dead” Ohlin, Swedish black metal vocalist (Mayhem) (d. 1991)
- 1971Sergi Bruguera, Spanish tennis player
- 1972Alen Peternac, Croatian footballer
- 1974Kate Moss, English model
- 1977Jeff Foster, American basketball player
- 1984Jared Slingerland, Canadian musician
- 1986Paula Pareto, Argentine judoka
- 1987Lauren McAvoy, British fashion model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.