January 16: Day of the Week
January 16, 2019 was the 16th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 349 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
January 16 Historical Event(s)
- 550Gothic War (535–554): The Ostrogoths, under King Totila, conquer Rome after a long siege, by bribing the Isaurian garrison.
- 1120The Council of Nablus is held, establishing the earliest surviving written laws of the Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem.
- 1572Thomas Howard, 4th Duke of Norfolk is tried for treason for his part in the Ridolfi plot to restore Catholicism in England.
- 1581The English Parliament outlaws Roman Catholicism.
- 1761The British capture Pondicherry, India from the French.
- 1847John C. Fremont is appointed Governor of the new California Territory.
- 1919Temperance movement: The United States ratifies the Eighteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, authorizing Prohibition in the United States one year after ratification.
- 1970Buckminster Fuller receives the Gold Medal award from the American Institute of Architects.
- 1992El Salvador officials and rebel leaders sign the Chapultepec Peace Accords in Mexico City ending the 12-year Salvadoran civil war that claimed at least 75,000.
- 2002The UN Security Council unanimously establishes an arms embargo and the freezing of assets of Osama bin Laden, Al-Qaida, and the remaining members of the Taliban.
Who were born on January 16?
- 1872Henri Busser, French composer (d. 1973)
- 1905Ernesto Halffter, Spanish composer and conductor (d. 1989)
- 1917Carl Karcher, founded the Carl’s Jr. hamburger chain (d. 2008)
- 1921Francesco Scavullo, American photographer (d. 2004)
- 1943Brian Ferneyhough, British composer
- 1944Gerd Klier, German footballer (d. 2011)
- 1944Jim Stafford, American singer and songwriter
- 1953Robert Jay Mathews, American neo-Nazi (d. 1984)
- 1962Denis O'Hare, Irish-American actor
- 1972Ezra Hendrickson, Vincentian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.