January 16: Day of the Week
January 16, 2017 was the 16th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 349 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Create unlimited collages for every occasion, big or small. Share online with animation and music, or print as heartfelt decor, keepsake cards, or frame-worthy gifts. Turn photos into art with Smilebox. It’s FREE - download now! (Sponsored link)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Capricorn horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 16 Historical Event(s)
- 27 BCGaius Julius Caesar Octavianus is granted the title Augustus by the Roman Senate, marking the beginning of the Roman Empire.
- 550Gothic War (535–554): The Ostrogoths, under King Totila, conquer Rome after a long siege, by bribing the Isaurian garrison.
- 929Emir Abd-ar-Rahman III established the Caliphate of Cordoba.
- 1605The first edition of El ingenioso hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha (Book One of Don Quixote) by Miguel de Cervantes is published in Madrid.
- 1847John C. Fremont is appointed Governor of the new California Territory.
- 1900The United States Senate accepts the Anglo-German treaty of 1899 in which the United Kingdom renounces its claims to the Samoan islands.
- 1924Eleftherios Venizelos becomes Prime Minister of Greece for the fourth time.
- 1938The Benny Goodman Orchestra performed the first jazz concert at Carnegie Hall.
- 1939The Irish Republican Army (IRA) begins a bombing and sabotage campaign in England.
- 1942Crash of TWA Flight 3, killing all 22 aboard, including film star Carole Lombard.
Who were born on January 16?
- 1728Niccolò Piccinni, Italian composer (d. 1800)
- 1853Vladimir Sergeyevich Solovyov, Russian philosopher (d. 1900)
- 1893Daisy Kennedy, Australian violinist (d. 1981)
- 1915Leslie H. Martinson, American television and film director.
- 1937Lorraine Bayly, Australian actress
- 1948John Carpenter, American film director
- 1956Ivan Safronov, Russian journalist (d. 2007)
- 1958Lena Ek, Swedish politician
- 1972Yuri Drozdov, Russian footballer
- 1986Paula Pareto, Argentine judoka
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.