January 16: Day of the Week
January 16, 2019 was the 16th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 349 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Roberta’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 16 Historical Event(s)
- 1412The Medici family is appointed official banker of the Papacy.
- 1780American Revolution: Battle of Cape St. Vincent.
- 1909Ernest Shackleton’s expedition finds the magnetic South Pole.
- 1919Temperance movement: The United States ratifies the Eighteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, authorizing Prohibition in the United States one year after ratification.
- 1920The League of Nations holds its first council meeting in Paris.
- 1924Eleftherios Venizelos becomes Prime Minister of Greece for the fourth time.
- 1939The Irish Republican Army (IRA) begins a bombing and sabotage campaign in England.
- 1969Czech student Jan Palach commits suicide by self-immolation in Prague, in protest against the Soviets’ crushing of the Prague Spring the year before.
- 2001US President Bill Clinton awards former President Theodore Roosevelt a posthumous Medal of Honor for his service in the Spanish-American War.
- 2006Ellen Johnson Sirleaf is sworn in as Liberia’s new president. She becomes Africa’s first female elected head of state.
Who were born on January 16?
- 1923Gene Feist, American stage actor and producer
- 1928William Kennedy, American author
- 1943Brian Ferneyhough, British composer
- 1946Katia Ricciarelli, Italian soprano
- 1952L. Blaine Hammond, NASA astronaut
- 1956Jennifer Dale, Canadian actress
- 1962Paul Webb, British musician (Talk Talk, .O.rang)
- 1970Ron Villone, American baseball player
- 1974Marlon Anderson, American baseball player
- 1975Gillian Iliana Waters, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.