January 17: Day of the Week
January 17, 2019 was the 17th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 348 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Alisha’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1562France recognizes the Huguenots under the Edict of Saint-Germain.
- 1648England’s Long Parliament passes the Vote of No Addresses, breaking off negotiations with King Charles I and thereby setting the scene for the second phase of the English Civil War.
- 1773Captain James Cook and his crew become the first Europeans to sail below the Antarctic Circle.
- 1852The United Kingdom recognizes the independence of the Boer colonies of the Transvaal.
- 1945World War II: Soviet forces capture the almost completely destroyed Polish city of Warsaw.
- 1950The Great Brinks Robbery – 11 thieves steal more than $2 million from an armored car Company’s offices in Boston, Massachusetts.
- 1982“Cold Sunday” - in the United States temperatures fell to their lowest levels in over 100 years in numerous cities.
- 1996The Czech Republic applies for membership of the European Union.
- 2002Mount Nyiragongo erupts in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, displacing an estimated 400,000 people.
- 2007The Doomsday Clock is set to five minutes to midnight in response to North Korea nuclear testing.
Who were born on January 17?
- 1831Archduchess Elisabeth Franziska of Austria (d. 1903)
- 1850Aleksandr Taneyev, Russian composer (d. 1918)
- 1865Charles Fergusson, Governor-General of New Zealand (d. 1951)
- 1886Ronald Firbank, British novelist (d. 1926)
- 1905Peggy Gilbert, American jazz saxophonist and bandleader (d. 2007)
- 1937Alain Badiou, French philosopher
- 1948Jim Ladd, American freeform (radio format) Disc Jockey
- 1960Chatchai Plengpanich, Thai actor
- 1967Filippo Raciti, Italian police officer (d. 2007)
- 1983Álvaro Arbeloa, Spanish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.