January 17: Day of the Week
January 17, 2019 was the 17th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 348 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Casey’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1524Giovanni da Verrazzano sets sail westward from Madeira to find a sea route to the Pacific Ocean.
- 1852The United Kingdom recognizes the independence of the Boer colonies of the Transvaal.
- 1899The United States takes possession of Wake Island in the Pacific Ocean.
- 1918Finnish Civil War: The first serious battles take place between the Red Guards and the White Guard.
- 1929Popeye the Sailor Man, a cartoon character created by Elzie Segar, first appears in the Thimble Theatre comic strip.
- 1944World War II: Allied forces launch the first of four battles with the intention of breaking through the Winter Line and seizing Rome, an effort that would ultimately take four months and cost 105,000 Allied casualties.
- 1983The tallest department store in the world, Hudson’s, flagship store in downtown Detroit closes due to high cost of operating.
- 1995The Great Hanshin earthquake: A magnitude 7.3 earthquake hits near Kobe, Japan, causing extensive property damage and killing 6,434 people.
- 1996The Czech Republic applies for membership of the European Union.
- 2002Mount Nyiragongo erupts in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, displacing an estimated 400,000 people.
Who were born on January 17?
- 1899Al Capone, American gangster (d. 1947)
- 1922Nicholas Katzenbach, American jurist and 65th United States Attorney General
- 1926Moira Shearer, Scottish actress (d. 2006)
- 1928Vidal Sassoon, English cosmetologist
- 1949Andy Kaufman, American comedian (d. 1984)
- 1953Carlos Johnson, American blues musician
- 1955Steve Javie, American professional basketball referee
- 1966Stephin Merritt, American singer and songwriter (The Magnetic Fields, The 6ths, The Gothic Archies)
- 1979Oleg Lisogor, Ukrainian swimmer
- 1984Sophie Dee, Welsh pornographic actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.