January 17: Day of the Week
January 17, 2020 was the 17th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 349 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Hazel’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 17 Historical Event(s)
- 395Emperor Theodosius I dies at Milan, the Roman Empire is re-divided into an eastern and a western half. The Eastern Roman Empire is centered in Constantinople under Arcadius, son of Theodosius, and the Western Roman Empire in Mediolanum under Honorius, his brother, at the age of 10.
- 1377Pope Gregory XI moves the Papacy back to Rome from Avignon.
- 1799Maltese patriot Dun Mikiel Xerri, along with a number of other patriots, is executed.
- 1885A British force defeats a large Dervish army at the Battle of Abu Klea in the Sudan.
- 1944World War II: Allied forces launch the first of four battles with the intention of breaking through the Winter Line and seizing Rome, an effort that would ultimately take four months and cost 105,000 Allied casualties.
- 1945Swedish diplomat Raoul Wallenberg is taken into Soviet custody while in Hungary; he is never publicly seen again.
- 1966A B-52 bomber collides with a KC-135 Stratotanker over Spain, dropping three 70-kiloton nuclear bombs near the town of Palomares and another one into the sea in the Palomares incident.
- 1977Convicted murderer Gary Gilmore is executed by a firing squad in Utah, ending a ten-year moratorium on Capital punishment in the United States.
- 1991Gulf War: Operation Desert Storm begins early in the morning. Iraq fires 8 Scud missiles into Israel in an unsuccessful bid to provoke Israeli retaliation.
- 1997A Delta 2 carrying a GPS2R satellite explodes 13 seconds after launch, dropping 250 tons of burning rocket remains around the launch pad.
Who were born on January 17?
- 1501Leonhart Fuchs, German physician and botanist (d. 1566)
- 1761James Hall, Scottish geologist (d. 1832)
- 1860Douglas Hyde, Irish President of Ireland (d. 1949)
- 1876Frank Hague, American politician (d. 1956)
- 1882Noah Beery, Sr., American actor (d. 1946)
- 1907Henk Badings, Dutch composer (d. 1987)
- 1914William Stafford, American poet and essayist (d. 1993)
- 1942Muhammad Ali, American boxer
- 1949Mick Taylor, British musician (The Rolling Stones)
- 1966Joshua Malina, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.