January 17: Day of the Week
January 17, 2019 was the 17th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 348 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
January 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1377Pope Gregory XI moves the Papacy back to Rome from Avignon.
- 1648England’s Long Parliament passes the Vote of No Addresses, breaking off negotiations with King Charles I and thereby setting the scene for the second phase of the English Civil War.
- 1799Maltese patriot Dun Mikiel Xerri, along with a number of other patriots, is executed.
- 1852The United Kingdom recognizes the independence of the Boer colonies of the Transvaal.
- 1873A group of Modoc warriors defeats the United States Army in the First Battle of the Stronghold, a part of the Modoc War.
- 1885A British force defeats a large Dervish army at the Battle of Abu Klea in the Sudan.
- 1944World War II: Allied forces launch the first of four battles with the intention of breaking through the Winter Line and seizing Rome, an effort that would ultimately take four months and cost 105,000 Allied casualties.
- 1992During a visit to South Korea, Japanese Prime Minister Kiichi Miyazawa apologizes for forcing Korean women into sexual slavery during World War II.
- 1995The Great Hanshin earthquake: A magnitude 7.3 earthquake hits near Kobe, Japan, causing extensive property damage and killing 6,434 people.
- 1997A Delta 2 carrying a GPS2R satellite explodes 13 seconds after launch, dropping 250 tons of burning rocket remains around the launch pad.
Who were born on January 17?
- 1828Eduard Remenyi, Hungarian violinist (d. 1898)
- 1834August Weismann, German biologist (d. 1914)
- 1927E.W. Swackhamer, American television & film director (d. 1994)
- 1933Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan, French-born Pakistani diplomat (UN High Commissioner for Refugees) (d. 2003)
- 1952Larry Fortensky, American former husband of Elizabeth Taylor
- 1973Aaron Ward, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1977Kevin Fertig, American professional wrestler
- 1980Kimberly Spicer, American model
- 1981Scott Mechlowicz, American actor
- 1984Calvin Harris, Scottish music producer and vocalist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.