January 17: Day of the Week
January 17, 2019 was the 17th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 348 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
January 17 Historical Event(s)
- 395Emperor Theodosius I dies at Milan, the Roman Empire is re-divided into an eastern and a western half. The Eastern Roman Empire is centered in Constantinople under Arcadius, son of Theodosius, and the Western Roman Empire in Mediolanum under Honorius, his brother, at the age of 10.
- 1562France recognizes the Huguenots under the Edict of Saint-Germain.
- 1608Emperor Susenyos of Ethiopia surprises an Oromo army at Ebenat; his army reportedly kills 12,000 Oromo at the cost of 400 men.
- 1917The United States pays Denmark $25 million for the Virgin Islands.
- 1929Inayatullah Khan, king of the Emirate of Afghanistan abdicates the throne after only three days into his reign.
- 1929Popeye the Sailor Man, a cartoon character created by Elzie Segar, first appears in the Thimble Theatre comic strip.
- 1941Franco-Thai War: French forces inflict a decisive victory over the Royal Thai Navy.
- 1946The UN Security Council holds its first session.
- 1991Gulf War: Operation Desert Storm begins early in the morning. Iraq fires 8 Scud missiles into Israel in an unsuccessful bid to provoke Israeli retaliation.
- 1992During a visit to South Korea, Japanese Prime Minister Kiichi Miyazawa apologizes for forcing Korean women into sexual slavery during World War II.
Who were born on January 17?
- 1871Nicolae Iorga, Romanian writer (d. 1940)
- 1877May Gibbs, Australian children’s author (d. 1969)
- 1881Harry Price, English psychic researcher and writer (d. 1948)
- 1916Peter Frelinghuysen, American politician
- 1949Andy Kaufman, American comedian (d. 1984)
- 1956Paul Young, English musician
- 1964Michelle Obama, First Lady of the United States
- 1967Song Kang-ho, South Korean actor
- 1968Craig Strong, American actor & voice actor
- 1985Pablo Barrientos, Argentine footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.