January 17: Day of the Week
January 17, 2022 was the 17th day of the year 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 348 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters XAIUVHVRANZC? Check your answers here: Words with these letters XAIUVHVRANZC. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1799Maltese patriot Dun Mikiel Xerri, along with a number of other patriots, is executed.
- 1885A British force defeats a large Dervish army at the Battle of Abu Klea in the Sudan.
- 1903El Yunque National Forest in Puerto Rico becomes part of the United States National Forest System as the Luquillo Forest Reserve.
- 1917The United States pays Denmark $25 million for the Virgin Islands.
- 1929Inayatullah Khan, king of the Emirate of Afghanistan abdicates the throne after only three days into his reign.
- 1941Franco-Thai War: French forces inflict a decisive victory over the Royal Thai Navy.
- 1961U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower delivers a televised farewell address to the nation three days before leaving office, in which he warns against the accumulation of power by the “military-industrial complex”.
- 1981President of the Philippines Ferdinand Marcos lifts martial law eight years and five months after declaring it.
- 1996The Czech Republic applies for membership of the European Union.
- 2001U.S. President Bill Clinton posthumously raises Meriwether Lewis’ rank from Lieutenant to Captain.
Who were born on January 17?
- 1814Mrs. Henry Wood, English novelist (d. 1887)
- 1820Anne Brontë, British author (d. 1849)
- 1858Tomás Carrasquilla, Colombian writer (d. 1940)
- 1867Carl Laemmle, German-born film executive (d. 1939)
- 1880Mack Sennett, Canadian film director (d. 1960)
- 1903Warren Hull, American actor (d. 1974)
- 1917Ramón Cardemil, Chilean huaso (d. 2007)
- 1925Edgar Ray Killen, American convict, former preacher and K.K.K. member
- 1933Dalida, French singer (d. 1987)
- 1940Kipchoge Keino, Kenyan runner
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.