January 17: Day of the Week
January 17, 2021 was the 17th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 348 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters EPHURNXINE? Check your answers here: Word solver EPHURNXINE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 17 Historical Event(s)
- 38 BCOctavian divorces his wife Scribonia and marries Livia Drusilla, ending the fragile peace between the Second Triumvirate and Sextus Pompey.
- 1913Raymond Poincaré is elected President of France.
- 1929Popeye the Sailor Man, a cartoon character created by Elzie Segar, first appears in the Thimble Theatre comic strip.
- 1945Swedish diplomat Raoul Wallenberg is taken into Soviet custody while in Hungary; he is never publicly seen again.
- 1949The Goldbergs, the first sitcom on American television, first airs.
- 1992During a visit to South Korea, Japanese Prime Minister Kiichi Miyazawa apologizes for forcing Korean women into sexual slavery during World War II.
- 1995The Great Hanshin earthquake: A magnitude 7.3 earthquake hits near Kobe, Japan, causing extensive property damage and killing 6,434 people.
- 1996The Czech Republic applies for membership of the European Union.
- 1997A Delta 2 carrying a GPS2R satellite explodes 13 seconds after launch, dropping 250 tons of burning rocket remains around the launch pad.
- 2002Mount Nyiragongo erupts in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, displacing an estimated 400,000 people.
Who were born on January 17?
- 1600Pedro Calderón de la Barca, Spanish playwright (d. 1681)
- 1899Robert Maynard Hutchins, president of University of Chicago (d. 1977)
- 1905Guillermo Stábile, Argentine footballer (d. 1966)
- 1907Henk Badings, Dutch composer (d. 1987)
- 1921Antonio Prohías, Cuban cartoonist (d. 1998)
- 1926Newton N. Minow, American lawyer and statesman
- 1956Paul Young, English musician
- 1960Chatchai Plengpanich, Thai actor
- 1991Trevor Bauer, American baseball player
- 1997Jack Vidgen, Australian singer who won the Australia’s Got Talent in 2011.
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.