January 17: Day of the Week
January 17, 2017 was the 17th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 348 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Capricorn horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 17 Historical Event(s)
- 395Emperor Theodosius I dies at Milan, the Roman Empire is re-divided into an eastern and a western half. The Eastern Roman Empire is centered in Constantinople under Arcadius, son of Theodosius, and the Western Roman Empire in Mediolanum under Honorius, his brother, at the age of 10.
- 1524Giovanni da Verrazzano sets sail westward from Madeira to find a sea route to the Pacific Ocean.
- 1913Raymond Poincaré is elected President of France.
- 1941Franco-Thai War: French forces inflict a decisive victory over the Royal Thai Navy.
- 1944World War II: Allied forces launch the first of four battles with the intention of breaking through the Winter Line and seizing Rome, an effort that would ultimately take four months and cost 105,000 Allied casualties.
- 1949The Goldbergs, the first sitcom on American television, first airs.
- 1950The Great Brinks Robbery – 11 thieves steal more than $2 million from an armored car Company’s offices in Boston, Massachusetts.
- 1989Cleveland School massacre: Patrick Purdy opens fire with an assault rifle at the Cleveland Elementary School playground in Stockton, California, killing five children and wounding 29 others and one teacher before taking his own life.
- 1995The Great Hanshin earthquake: A magnitude 7.3 earthquake hits near Kobe, Japan, causing extensive property damage and killing 6,434 people.
- 2002Mount Nyiragongo erupts in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, displacing an estimated 400,000 people.
Who were born on January 17?
- 1853Alva Belmont, American socialite (d. 1933)
- 1881Harry Price, English psychic researcher and writer (d. 1948)
- 1905Guillermo Stábile, Argentine footballer (d. 1966)
- 1914Anacleto Angelini, Chilean businessman (d. 2007)
- 1918Keith Joseph, British politician (d. 1994)
- 1922Robert De Niro, Sr., American painter (d. 1993)
- 1926Moira Shearer, Scottish actress (d. 2006)
- 1934Stuart Nisbet, American actor
- 1966Joshua Malina, American actor
- 1975Tom Jenkinson, English musician (Squarepusher)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.