January 18: Day of the Week
January 18, 2020 was the 18th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 348 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Kate’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 18 Historical Event(s)
- 1778James Cook is the first known European to discover the Hawaiian Islands, which he names the “Sandwich Islands”.
- 1866Wesley College, Melbourne is established.
- 1958Willie O'Ree, the first African Canadian National Hockey League player, makes his NHL debut.
- 1969Brahma Baba, founder father of Brahma Kumaris left his mortal coil.
- 1974A Disengagement of Forces agreement is signed between the Israeli and Egyptian governments, ending conflict on the Egyptian front of the Yom Kippur War.
- 1990Washington, D.C. Mayor Marion Barry is arrested for drug possession in an FBI sting.
- 1994The Cando event, a possible bolide impact in Cando, Spain. Witnesses claim to have seen a fireball in the sky lasting for almost one minute.
- 1997In north west Rwanda, Hutu militia members kill 3 Spanish aid workers, 3 soldiers and seriously wound one other.
- 2003A bushfire kills 4 people and destroys more than 500 homes in Canberra, Australia.
- 2005The Airbus A380, the world’s largest commercial jet, is unveiled at a ceremony in Toulouse, France
Who were born on January 18?
- 885Daigo, Emperor of Japan (d. 930)
- 1840Henry Austin Dobson, English poet (d. 1921)
- 1849Sir Edmund Barton, 1st Prime Minister of Australia (d. 1920)
- 1947Takeshi Kitano, Japanese actor and director
- 1974Michael Tunn, Australian television presenter and radio announcer
- 1976Subhrajit Mitra, Indian filmmaker
- 1979Jay Chou, Taiwanese singer, producer, actor and director
- 1979Ruslan Fedotenko, Ukrainian ice hockey player
- 1984Michael Kearney, American child prodigy
- 1984Seung-Hui Cho, American spree killer (d. 2007)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.