January 18: Day of the Week
January 18, 2019 was the 18th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 347 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Oliver’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 18 Historical Event(s)
- 1670Henry Morgan captures Panama.
- 1916A 611 gram chondrite type meteorite strikes a house near the village of Baxter in Stone County, Missouri.
- 1919Bentley Motors Limited is founded.
- 1945Liberation of the Budapest ghetto by the Red Army.
- 1960Capital Airlines Flight 20 crashes into a farm in Charles City County, Virginia, killing all 50 aboard, the third fatal Capital Airlines crash in as many years.
- 1974A Disengagement of Forces agreement is signed between the Israeli and Egyptian governments, ending conflict on the Egyptian front of the Yom Kippur War.
- 1977Australia’s worst rail disaster occurs at Granville, Sydney killing 83.
- 1978The European Court of Human Rights finds the United Kingdom government guilty of mistreating prisoners in Northern Ireland, but not guilty of torture.
- 1990Washington, D.C. Mayor Marion Barry is arrested for drug possession in an FBI sting.
- 1993Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is officially observed for the first time in all 50 states.
Who were born on January 18?
- 1888Thomas Sopwith, British aviation pioneer (d. 1989)
- 1913Giannis Papaioannou, Greek composer and musician (d. 1972)
- 1921Yoichiro Nambu, Japanese-born American Nobel Prize-winning physicist
- 1944Carl Morton, American baseball player (d. 1983)
- 1952Michael Behe, American advocate of Intelligent Design
- 1962David O'Connor, American equestrian rider
- 1974Michael Tunn, Australian television presenter and radio announcer
- 1978Brian Falkenborg, American baseball player
- 1993Morgan York, American actress
- 1994Kang Ji-young, South Korean singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.