January 18: Day of the Week
January 18, 2020 was the 18th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 348 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Carole’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 18 Historical Event(s)
- 532Nika riots in Constantinople fail.
- 1126Emperor Huizong abdicates the Chinese throne in favour of his son Emperor Qinzong.
- 1788The first elements of the First Fleet carrying 736 convicts from England to Australia arrives at Botany Bay.
- 1903President Theodore Roosevelt sends a radio message to King Edward VII: the first transatlantic radio transmission originating in the United States.
- 1911Eugene B. Ely lands on the deck of the USS Pennsylvania stationed in San Francisco harbor, the first time an aircraft landed on a ship.
- 1915Japan issues the “Twenty-One Demands” to the Republic of China in a bid to increase its power in East Asia.
- 1945Liberation of the Budapest ghetto by the Red Army.
- 1978The European Court of Human Rights finds the United Kingdom government guilty of mistreating prisoners in Northern Ireland, but not guilty of torture.
- 1997In north west Rwanda, Hutu militia members kill 3 Spanish aid workers, 3 soldiers and seriously wound one other.
- 2000The Tagish Lake meteorite impacts the Earth.
Who were born on January 18?
- 1779Peter Mark Roget, British lexicographer (d. 1869)
- 1782Daniel Webster, American statesman (d. 1852)
- 1795Anna Pavlovna of Russia, queen of The Netherlands (d. 1865)
- 1908Jacob Bronowski, Polish-born mathematician, poet, and physicist (d. 1974)
- 1951Bram Behr, Surinamese journalist (d. 1982)
- 1953Brett Hudson, American musician
- 1973Anthony Koutoufides, Australian rules footballer and Gladiator
- 1982Joanna Newsom, American harpist
- 1984Michael Kearney, American child prodigy
- 1988Anastasios Kissas, Greek footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.