January 18: Day of the Week
January 18, 2020 was the 18th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 348 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Brody’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 18 Historical Event(s)
- 474Leo II briefly becomes Byzantine emperor.
- 1520King Christian II of Denmark and Norway defeats the Swedes at Lake Åsunden.
- 1886Modern field hockey is born with the formation of The Hockey Association in England.
- 1919Ignacy Jan Paderewski becomes Prime Minister of the newly independent Poland.
- 1944The Metropolitan Opera House in New York City hosts a jazz concert for the first time. The performers are Louis Armstrong, Benny Goodman, Lionel Hampton, Artie Shaw, Roy Eldridge and Jack Teagarden.
- 1945Liberation of the Budapest ghetto by the Red Army.
- 1958Willie O'Ree, the first African Canadian National Hockey League player, makes his NHL debut.
- 1969Brahma Baba, founder father of Brahma Kumaris left his mortal coil.
- 1969United Airlines Flight 266 crashes into Santa Monica Bay killing all 32 passengers and six crew members.
- 2005The Airbus A380, the world’s largest commercial jet, is unveiled at a ceremony in Toulouse, France
Who were born on January 18?
- 1519Isabella Jagiełło, queen of Hungary (d. 1559)
- 1881Gaston Gallimard, French publisher (d. 1975)
- 1892Paul Rostock, German surgeon (d. 1956)
- 1962Alison Arngrim, American actress
- 1970DJ Quik, American rapper
- 1973Ben Jealous, African-American leader, president of the NAACP
- 1977Curtis Cregan, American actor
- 1979Paulo Ferreira, Portuguese footballer
- 1979Ruslan Fedotenko, Ukrainian ice hockey player
- 1987Johan Djourou, Swiss footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.