January 18: Day of the Week
January 18, 2019 was the 18th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 347 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Capricorn horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 18 Historical Event(s)
- 474Leo II briefly becomes Byzantine emperor.
- 1126Emperor Huizong abdicates the Chinese throne in favour of his son Emperor Qinzong.
- 1520King Christian II of Denmark and Norway defeats the Swedes at Lake Åsunden.
- 1562Pope Pius IV reopens the Council of Trent for its third and final session.
- 1896The X-ray machine is exhibited for the first time.
- 1911Eugene B. Ely lands on the deck of the USS Pennsylvania stationed in San Francisco harbor, the first time an aircraft landed on a ship.
- 1958Willie O'Ree, the first African Canadian National Hockey League player, makes his NHL debut.
- 1981Phil Smith and Phil Mayfield parachute off a Houston skyscraper, becoming the first two people to BASE jump from objects in all four categories: buildings, antennae, spans (bridges), and earth (cliffs).
- 2007The strongest storm in the United Kingdom in 17 years kills 14 people, Germany sees the worst storm since 1999 with 13 deaths. Hurricane Kyrill, causes at least 44 deaths across 20 countries in Western Europe.
- 2009Gaza War: Hamas announces they will accept Israeli Defense Forces’s offer of a ceasefire, ending the assault.
Who were born on January 18?
- 1904Anthony Galla-Rini, American accordionist (d. 2006)
- 1935Albert Millaire, Quebec actor and theatre director
- 1962Alison Arngrim, American actress
- 1964Brady Anderson, American baseball player
- 1973Burnie Burns, director, voice actor, producer, screenwriter, co-founder of Rooster Teeth Productions
- 1976Subhrajit Mitra, Indian filmmaker
- 1977Richard Wall, Irish actor
- 1984Makoto Hasebe, Japanese footballer
- 1984Michael Kearney, American child prodigy
- 1987Johan Djourou, Swiss footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.