January 19: Day of the Week
January 19, 2023 was the 19th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 346 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ADTZEQPDOJP? Check your answers here: Unscramble words ADTZEQPDOJP. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 19 Historical Event(s)
- 1607San Agustin Church in Manila is officially completed; it is the oldest church still standing in the Philippines.
- 1812Peninsular War: After a ten day siege, Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, orders British soldiers of the Light and third divisions to storm Ciudad Rodrigo.
- 1829Johann Wolfgang von Goethe’s Faust Part 1 receives its premiere performance.
- 1861American Civil War: Georgia joins South Carolina, Florida, Mississippi, and Alabama in seceding from the United States.
- 1871Franco-Prussian War: In the Siege of Paris, Prussia wins the Battle of St. Quentin. Meanwhile, the French attempt to break the siege in the Battle of Buzenval will end unsuccessfully the following day.
- 1917Silvertown explosion: 73 are killed and 400 injured in an explosion in a munitions plant in London.
- 1942World War II: Japanese forces invade Burma
- 1946General Douglas MacArthur establishes the International Military Tribunal for the Far East in Tokyo to try Japanese war criminals.
- 1978The last Volkswagen Beetle made in Germany leaves VW’s plant in Emden. Beetle production in Latin America would continue until 2003.
- 1986The first computer virus released into the wild is a boot sector virus dubbed (c)Brain, created by the Farooq Alvi Brothers in Lahore, Pakistan, reportedly to deter piracy of the software they had written.
Who were born on January 19?
- 1813Sir Henry Bessemer, English inventor (d. 1898)
- 1912Leonid Kantorovich, Russian economist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1986)
- 1937John Lions, Australian computer scientist (d. 1998)
- 1944Shelley Fabares, American actress
- 1948Frank McKenna, Canadian politician
- 1972Princess Kalina of Bulgaria
- 1973Antero Manninen, Finnish cellist
- 1974Ian Laperrière, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1981Dimosthenis Manousakis, Greek footballer
- 1983Hikaru Utada, American/Japanese singer and songwriter
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.