January 19: Day of the Week
January 19, 2020 was the 19th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 347 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OVEWEVSUQ? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters OVEWEVSUQ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 19 Historical Event(s)
- 1661Thomas Venner is hanged, drawn and quartered in London.
- 1764John Wilkes is expelled from the British House of Commons for seditious libel.
- 1817An army of 5,423 soldiers, led by General José de San Martín, crosses the Andes from Argentina to liberate Chile and then Peru.
- 1829Johann Wolfgang von Goethe’s Faust Part 1 receives its premiere performance.
- 1853Giuseppe Verdi’s opera Il Trovatore receives its premiere performance in Rome.
- 1899Anglo-Egyptian Sudan is formed.
- 1946General Douglas MacArthur establishes the International Military Tribunal for the Far East in Tokyo to try Japanese war criminals.
- 1981Iran Hostage Crisis: United States and Iranian officials sign an agreement to release 52 American hostages after 14 months of captivity.
- 1993Czech Republic and Slovakia join the United Nations.
- 1996The barge North Cape oil spill occurs as an engine fire forces the tugboat Scandia ashore on Moonstone Beach in South Kingstown, Rhode Island.
Who were born on January 19?
- 1839Paul Cézanne, French painter (d. 1906)
- 1879Boris Savinkov, Russian writer (d. 1925)
- 1935Soumitra Chatterjee, Indian actor
- 1945Trevor Williams, English Bass Guitarist
- 1954Cindy Sherman, American photographer
- 1963Caron Wheeler, British singer (Soul II Soul)
- 1976Natale Gonnella, Italian footballer
- 1979Josu Sarriegi, Spanish/Basque footballer
- 1985Benny Feilhaber, American soccer player
- 1992Shawn Johnson, American gymnast
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.