January 19: Day of the Week
January 19, 2021 was the 19th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 346 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters DWAGZUHAD? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters DWAGZUHAD. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 19 Historical Event(s)
- 379Emperor Gratian elevates Flavius Theodosius at Sirmium to Augustus, and gives him power over all the eastern provinces of the Roman Empire.
- 1661Thomas Venner is hanged, drawn and quartered in London.
- 1788The second group of ships of the First Fleet arrives at Botany Bay.
- 1893Henrik Ibsen’s play The Master Builder receives its premiere performance in Berlin.
- 1942World War II: Japanese forces invade Burma
- 1946General Douglas MacArthur establishes the International Military Tribunal for the Far East in Tokyo to try Japanese war criminals.
- 1978The last Volkswagen Beetle made in Germany leaves VW’s plant in Emden. Beetle production in Latin America would continue until 2003.
- 1986The first computer virus released into the wild is a boot sector virus dubbed (c)Brain, created by the Farooq Alvi Brothers in Lahore, Pakistan, reportedly to deter piracy of the software they had written.
- 2006A Slovak Air Force Antonov An-24 crashes in Hungary.
- 2007Turkish Journalist Hrant Dink is assassinated in front of his newspaper’s office by 17 year old Turkish ultranationalist Ogün Samast.
Who were born on January 19?
- 1736James Watt, Scottish inventor (d. 1819)
- 1757Augusta Reuss-Ebersdorf, German Princess (d. 1831)
- 1918John H. Johnson, American publisher (d. 2005)
- 1922Guy Madison, American actor (d. 1996)
- 1939Phil Everly, American musician
- 1940Paolo Borsellino, Italian magistrate (d. 1992)
- 1943Janis Joplin, American singer (d. 1970)
- 1946Julian Barnes, English author
- 1947Paula Deen, American chef and restaurateur
- 1980Luke Macfarlane, Canadian actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.