January 2: Day of the Week
January 2, 2017 was the 2nd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 363 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Create unlimited collages for every occasion, big or small. Share online with animation and music, or print as heartfelt decor, keepsake cards, or frame-worthy gifts. Turn photos into art with Smilebox. It’s FREE - download now! (Sponsored link)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Capricorn horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 2 Historical Event(s)
- 1492Reconquista: the emirate of Granada, the last Moorish stronghold in Spain, surrenders
- 1777American Revolutionary War: American forces under the command of George Washington repulsed a British attack at the Battle of the Assunpink Creek near Trenton, New Jersey
- 1833Re-establishment of British rule on the Falkland Islands.
- 1900John Hay announces the Open Door Policy to promote trade with China
- 1911A gun battle in the East End of London left two dead and sparked a political row over the involvement of then-Home Secretary Winston Churchill
- 1927Angered by the anti-clerical provisions of the Mexican Constitution of 1917, Catholic rebels in Mexico rebelled against the government.
- 1941World War II: German bombing severely damages the Llandaff Cathedral in Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
- 1942The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) convicts 33 members of a German spy ring headed by Fritz Joubert Duquesne in the largest espionage case in United States history—the Duquesne Spy Ring
- 1999A brutal snowstorm smashes into the Midwestern United States, causing 14 inches (359 mm) of snow in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and 19 inches (487 mm) in Chicago, Illinois, where temperatures plunge to -13 °F (-25 °C); 68 deaths are reported
- 2004Stardust successfully flies past Comet Wild 2, collecting samples that are returned to Earth.
Who were born on January 2?
- 1884Ben-Zion Dinur, Russian-born Israeli educator, historian and politician (d. 1973)
- 1886Apsley Cherry-Garrard, English Antarctic explorer (d. 1959)
- 1901Bob Marshall, American conservationist (d. 1939)
- 1909Riccardo Cassin, Italian mountaineer (d. 2009)
- 1920Isaac Asimov, American author and biochemistry professor (d. 1992)
- 1938Hans Herbjørnsrud, Norwegian author
- 1953Manfred Wittke, German footballer
- 1969Patrick Huard, Quebec actor and comedian
- 1969Robby Gordon, American racing driver
- 1977Nikos Soultanidis, Greek footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.