January 2: Day of the Week
January 2, 2020 was the 2nd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 364 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters CHOJUGZOF? Check your answers here: Word search CHOJUGZOF. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 2 Historical Event(s)
- 1818The British Institution of Civil Engineers is founded
- 1833Re-establishment of British rule on the Falkland Islands.
- 1860The discovery of the planet Vulcan is announced at a meeting of the French Academy of Sciences in Paris, France
- 1900John Hay announces the Open Door Policy to promote trade with China
- 1942The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) convicts 33 members of a German spy ring headed by Fritz Joubert Duquesne in the largest espionage case in United States history—the Duquesne Spy Ring
- 1949Luis Muñoz Marín becomes the first democratically elected Governor of Puerto Rico
- 1971The second Ibrox disaster kills 66 fans at a Rangers-Celtic association football (soccer) match
- 1974President Richard Nixon signs a bill lowering the maximum U.S. speed limit to 55 MPH in order to conserve gasoline during an OPEC embargo
- 1999A brutal snowstorm smashes into the Midwestern United States, causing 14 inches (359 mm) of snow in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and 19 inches (487 mm) in Chicago, Illinois, where temperatures plunge to -13 °F (-25 °C); 68 deaths are reported
- 2001Sila María Calderón becomes the first female Governor of Puerto Rico
Who were born on January 2?
- 1699Osman III, Ottoman Sultan (d. 1757)
- 1837Mily Balakirev, Russian composer (d. 1910)
- 1896Dziga Vertov, Russian filmmaker (d. 1954)
- 1905Lev Schnirelmann, Russian mathematician (d. 1938)
- 1955Tex Brashear, American voice actor
- 1967Jón Gnarr, Icelandic actor and mayor of Reykjavik
- 1972Mattias Norström, Swedish professional ice hockey player
- 1976Hrysopiyi Devetzi, Greek triple jumper
- 1981Maxi Rodríguez, Argentine footballer
- 1987Shelley Hennig, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.