January 2: Day of the Week
January 2, 2021 was the 2nd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 363 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters PEOUSOCJA? Check your answers here: Word solver PEOUSOCJA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 2 Historical Event(s)
- 1492Reconquista: the emirate of Granada, the last Moorish stronghold in Spain, surrenders
- 1777American Revolutionary War: American forces under the command of George Washington repulsed a British attack at the Battle of the Assunpink Creek near Trenton, New Jersey
- 1871Amadeus I becomes King of Spain
- 1905Russo-Japanese War: The Russian garrison surrenders at Port Arthur, China
- 1911A gun battle in the East End of London left two dead and sparked a political row over the involvement of then-Home Secretary Winston Churchill
- 1927Angered by the anti-clerical provisions of the Mexican Constitution of 1917, Catholic rebels in Mexico rebelled against the government.
- 1942World War II: Manila, Philippines is captured by Japanese forces
- 1955Panamanian president José Antonio Remón Cantera is assassinated
- 1959Luna 1, the first spacecraft to reach the vicinity of the Moon and to orbit the Sun, is launched by the Soviet Union
- 1999A brutal snowstorm smashes into the Midwestern United States, causing 14 inches (359 mm) of snow in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and 19 inches (487 mm) in Chicago, Illinois, where temperatures plunge to -13 °F (-25 °C); 68 deaths are reported
Who were born on January 2?
- 1727James Wolfe, British general (d. 1759)
- 1857Martha Carey Thomas, American educator, suffragist, and second President of Bryn Mawr College (d. 1935)
- 1866Prof. Gilbert Murray, Australian classical scholar (d. 1957)
- 1873Thérèse of Lisieux, French Roman Catholic nun (d. 1897)
- 1889Sir Bertram Stevens, Premier of New South Wales 1932-39 (d. 1973)
- 1928Avie Bennett, Canadian philanthropist
- 1933Seiichi Morimura, Japanese novelist
- 1942Hugh Shelton, 15th Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
- 1969Tommy Morrison, American boxer
- 1976Mahée Paiement, Canadian actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.