January 20: Day of the Week
January 20, 2019 was the 20th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 345 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
January 20: This Day in History
In the ancient astronomy, it was the cusp day between Capricorn and Aquarius. In some years it is Aquarius, but others Capricorn. It depends on the year.
January 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1265In Westminster, the first English parliament conducts its first meeting held by Simon de Montfort in the Palace of Westminster, now also known colloquially as the “Houses of Parliament”.
- 1576The Mexican city of León is founded by order of the viceroy Don Martín Enríquez de Almanza.
- 1801John Marshall is appointed the Chief Justice of the United States.
- 1885L.A. Thompson patents the roller coaster.
- 1936Edward VIII becomes King of the United Kingdom.
- 1945World War II: Germany begins the evacuation of 1.8 million people from East Prussia, a task which will take nearly two months.
- 1972Pakistan launched its Nuclear detterent program few weeks after its defeat in Bangladesh Liberation War and Indo-Pakistani War of 1971.
- 1986Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is celebrated as a federal holiday for the first time.
- 1990On Black Saturday, the Red Army kills Azerbaijani civilians in Baku.
- 1999The China News Service announces new government restrictions on Internet use, aimed especially at Internet cafés.
Who were born on January 20?
- 1908Fleur Cowles, American writer, editor and artist (d. 2009)
- 1945Christopher Martin-Jenkins, cricket commentator and correspondent
- 1950Liza Goddard, British actress
- 1952Paul Stanley, American musician (Kiss)
- 1953Colleen Zenk Pinter, American actress
- 1958Lorenzo Lamas, American actor
- 1966Rainn Wilson, American actor
- 1966Tracii Guns, American guitarist
- 1980Brigitte Olivier, Belgian judoka
- 1981Owen Hargreaves, English footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.