January 20: Day of the Week
January 20, 2019 was the 20th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 345 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
January 20: This Day in History
In the ancient astronomy, it was the cusp day between Capricorn and Aquarius. In some years it is Aquarius, but others Capricorn. It depends on the year.
January 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1502The present-day location of Rio de Janeiro is first explored.
- 1801John Marshall is appointed the Chief Justice of the United States.
- 1839In the Battle of Yungay, Chile defeats an alliance between Peru and Bolivia.
- 1885L.A. Thompson patents the roller coaster.
- 1920The American Civil Liberties Union is founded.
- 1941A Nazi officer is murdered in Bucharest, Romania, sparking a rebellion and pogrom by the Iron Guard, killing 125 Jews and 30 soldiers.
- 1981Twenty minutes after Ronald Reagan is inaugurated, at age 69 the oldest man ever to be inaugurated as U.S. President, Iran releases 52 American hostages.
- 1990On Black Saturday, the Red Army kills Azerbaijani civilians in Baku.
- 2001Philippine president Joseph Estrada is ousted in a nonviolent 4-day revolution, and is succeeded by Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
- 2006Witnesses report seeing a bottlenose whale swimming in the River Thames, the first time the species had been seen in the Thames since records began in 1913.
Who were born on January 20?
- 1834George D. Robinson, 34th Governor of Massachusetts (d. 1896)
- 1941Pierre Lalonde, Canadian singer and television host
- 1944José Luis Garci, Spanish filmmaker
- 1955Hiromi Ōta, Japanese singer
- 1965Anton Weissenbacher, Romanian footballer
- 1966Tracii Guns, American guitarist
- 1975Norberto Fontana, Argentine racing driver
- 1978Sonja Kesselschläger, German heptathlete
- 1984Olivia Hallinan, English actress
- 1989Washington, Brazilian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.