January 20: Day of the Week
January 20, 2022 was the 20th day of the year 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 345 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters FJXUEYBYNAW? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters FJXUEYBYNAW. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 20: This Day in History
In the ancient astronomy, it was the cusp day between Capricorn and Aquarius. In some years it is Aquarius, but others Capricorn. It depends on the year.
January 20 Historical Event(s)
- 250Emperor Decius begins a widespread persecution of Christians in Rome. Pope Fabian is martyred.
- 1788The third and main part of First Fleet arrives at Botany Bay. Arthur Phillip decides that Botany Bay is unsuitable for the location of a penal colony, and decides to move to Port Jackson.
- 1921The first Constitution of Turkey is adopted, making fundamental changes in the source and exercise of sovereignty by consecrating the principle of national sovereignty.
- 1936Edward VIII becomes King of the United Kingdom.
- 1945World War II: Germany begins the evacuation of 1.8 million people from East Prussia, a task which will take nearly two months.
- 1954The National Negro Network is established with 40 charter member radio stations.
- 1986Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is celebrated as a federal holiday for the first time.
- 1999The China News Service announces new government restrictions on Internet use, aimed especially at Internet cafés.
- 2006Witnesses report seeing a bottlenose whale swimming in the River Thames, the first time the species had been seen in the Thames since records began in 1913.
- 2007A three-man team, using only skis and kites, completes a 1093 mi trek to reach the southern pole of inaccessibility for the first time since 1958 and for the first time ever without mechanical assistance.
Who were born on January 20?
- 1716Jean-Jacques Barthélemy, French writer and numismatist (d. 1795)
- 1896George Burns, American actor, comedian (d. 1996)
- 1907Paula Wessely, Austrian actress (d. 2000)
- 1926Jamiluddin Aali, Pakistani poet, essayist and columnist
- 1926Patricia Neal, American actress (d. 2010)
- 1926Qurratulain Hyder, Indian and Pakistani novelist (d. 2007)
- 1930Buzz Aldrin, American astronaut
- 1958Lorenzo Lamas, American actor
- 1971Wakanohana Masaru, Japanese sumo wrestler, the 66th Yokozuna
- 1973Princess Mathilde, Duchess of Brabant
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.