January 20: Day of the Week
January 20, 2020 was the 20th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 346 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Tanya’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 20: This Day in History
In the ancient astronomy, it was the cusp day between Capricorn and Aquarius. In some years it is Aquarius, but others Capricorn. It depends on the year.
January 20 Historical Event(s)
- 250Emperor Decius begins a widespread persecution of Christians in Rome. Pope Fabian is martyred.
- 1265In Westminster, the first English parliament conducts its first meeting held by Simon de Montfort in the Palace of Westminster, now also known colloquially as the “Houses of Parliament”.
- 1320Duke Wladyslaw Lokietek becomes king of Poland.
- 1649Charles I of England goes on trial for treason and other “high crimes”.
- 1801John Marshall is appointed the Chief Justice of the United States.
- 1887The United States Senate allows the Navy to lease Pearl Harbor as a naval base.
- 1920The American Civil Liberties Union is founded.
- 1945World War II: Germany begins the evacuation of 1.8 million people from East Prussia, a task which will take nearly two months.
- 1986Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is celebrated as a federal holiday for the first time.
- 2001Philippine president Joseph Estrada is ousted in a nonviolent 4-day revolution, and is succeeded by Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
Who were born on January 20?
- 1896Isabel Withers, American actress (d. 1968)
- 1902Leon Ames, American actor (d. 1993)
- 1938Derek Dougan, Northern Irish footballer (d. 2007)
- 1950Edward Hirsch, American poet
- 1970Kerri Kenney-Silver, American actress
- 1979Asaka Kubo, Japanese gravure idol of 20th Century
- 1981Brendan Fevola, Australian Rules Football Player
- 1981Daniel Cudmore, Canadian actor
- 1988Jeffrén Suárez, Spanish footballer
- 1991Jolyon Palmer, English racing driver; son of Jonathan Palmer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.