January 20: Day of the Week
January 20, 2020 was the 20th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 346 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Addison’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 20: This Day in History
In the ancient astronomy, it was the cusp day between Capricorn and Aquarius. In some years it is Aquarius, but others Capricorn. It depends on the year.
January 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1265In Westminster, the first English parliament conducts its first meeting held by Simon de Montfort in the Palace of Westminster, now also known colloquially as the “Houses of Parliament”.
- 1502The present-day location of Rio de Janeiro is first explored.
- 1783The Kingdom of Great Britain signs a peace treaty with France and Spain, officially ending hostilities in the American Revolutionary War (also known as the American War of Independence).
- 1788The third and main part of First Fleet arrives at Botany Bay. Arthur Phillip decides that Botany Bay is unsuitable for the location of a penal colony, and decides to move to Port Jackson.
- 1920The American Civil Liberties Union is founded.
- 1936Edward VIII becomes King of the United Kingdom.
- 1942World War II: At the Wannsee Conference held in the Berlin suburb of Wannsee, senior Nazi German officials discuss the implementation of the “Final Solution to the Jewish Question”.
- 1972Pakistan launched its Nuclear detterent program few weeks after its defeat in Bangladesh Liberation War and Indo-Pakistani War of 1971.
- 2001Philippine president Joseph Estrada is ousted in a nonviolent 4-day revolution, and is succeeded by Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
- 2006Witnesses report seeing a bottlenose whale swimming in the River Thames, the first time the species had been seen in the Thames since records began in 1913.
Who were born on January 20?
- 1292Elisabeth of Bohemia (1292–1330) (d. 1330)
- 1664Giovanni Vincenzo Gravina, Italian writer and jurist (d. 1718)
- 1812Thomas Meik, Scottish engineer (d. 1896)
- 1891Mischa Elman, Ukrainian born violinist (d. 1967)
- 1895Gábor Szegő, Hungarian mathematician (d. 1985)
- 1896Isabel Withers, American actress (d. 1968)
- 1920DeForest Kelley, American actor (d. 1999)
- 1925Ernesto Cardenal, Nicaraguan theologian and politician
- 1938William Berger, Austrian actor (d. 1993)
- 1981Jason Richardson, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.