January 20: Day of the Week
January 20, 2020 was the 20th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 346 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Ezra’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 20: This Day in History
In the ancient astronomy, it was the cusp day between Capricorn and Aquarius. In some years it is Aquarius, but others Capricorn. It depends on the year.
January 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1502The present-day location of Rio de Janeiro is first explored.
- 1788The third and main part of First Fleet arrives at Botany Bay. Arthur Phillip decides that Botany Bay is unsuitable for the location of a penal colony, and decides to move to Port Jackson.
- 1887The United States Senate allows the Navy to lease Pearl Harbor as a naval base.
- 1920The American Civil Liberties Union is founded.
- 1936Edward VIII becomes King of the United Kingdom.
- 1960Hendrik Verwoerd announces a plebiscite on whether South Africa should become a Republic.
- 1972Pakistan launched its Nuclear detterent program few weeks after its defeat in Bangladesh Liberation War and Indo-Pakistani War of 1971.
- 1992Air Inter Flight 148 crashes near Strasbourg, France, killing 82 passengers and five crew members.
- 2006Witnesses report seeing a bottlenose whale swimming in the River Thames, the first time the species had been seen in the Thames since records began in 1913.
- 2007A three-man team, using only skis and kites, completes a 1093 mi trek to reach the southern pole of inaccessibility for the first time since 1958 and for the first time ever without mechanical assistance.
Who were born on January 20?
- 1837David Josiah Brewer, U.S. Supreme Court Justice (d. 1910)
- 1920Federico Fellini, Italian film director (d. 1993)
- 1935Joan Weston, Roller Derby Queen (d. 1997)
- 1945Robert Olen Butler, American writer
- 1947Cyrille Guimard, French cyclist and directeur sportif
- 1954Rudy La Scala, Venezuelan singer-songwriter
- 1964Kazushige Nojima, Japanese game scenario writer
- 1964Ozzie Guillén, Venezuelan-born baseball player and manager
- 1970Skeet Ulrich, American actor
- 1981Daniel Cudmore, Canadian actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.