January 20: Day of the Week
January 20, 2019 was the 20th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 345 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Xavier’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 20: This Day in History
In the ancient astronomy, it was the cusp day between Capricorn and Aquarius. In some years it is Aquarius, but others Capricorn. It depends on the year.
January 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1320Duke Wladyslaw Lokietek becomes king of Poland.
- 1649Charles I of England goes on trial for treason and other “high crimes”.
- 1942World War II: At the Wannsee Conference held in the Berlin suburb of Wannsee, senior Nazi German officials discuss the implementation of the “Final Solution to the Jewish Question”.
- 1945World War II: Germany begins the evacuation of 1.8 million people from East Prussia, a task which will take nearly two months.
- 1949Point Four Program a program for economic aid to poor countries announced by United States President Harry S. Truman in his inaugural address for a full term as President.
- 1987Church of England envoy Terry Waite is kidnapped in Lebanon.
- 1991Sudan’s government imposes Islamic law nationwide, worsening the civil war between the country’s Muslim north and Christian south.
- 1992Air Inter Flight 148 crashes near Strasbourg, France, killing 82 passengers and five crew members.
- 2001Philippine president Joseph Estrada is ousted in a nonviolent 4-day revolution, and is succeeded by Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
- 2007A three-man team, using only skis and kites, completes a 1093 mi trek to reach the southern pole of inaccessibility for the first time since 1958 and for the first time ever without mechanical assistance.
Who were born on January 20?
- 1895Gábor Szegő, Hungarian mathematician (d. 1985)
- 1896George Burns, American actor, comedian (d. 1996)
- 1920Thorleif Schjelderup, Norwegian author and ski jumper (d. 2006)
- 1928Rudy Boesch, Contestant on Survivor: Borneo (3rd Place) and Survivor: All-Stars (17th Place)
- 1952Paul Stanley, American musician (Kiss)
- 1960Will Wright, American computer game designer
- 1966Tracii Guns, American guitarist
- 1971Wakanohana Masaru, Japanese sumo wrestler, the 66th Yokozuna
- 1981Daniel Cudmore, Canadian actor
- 1983Paula Taylor, English-Thai actress, model and presenter
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.