January 20: Day of the Week
January 20, 2020 was the 20th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 346 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters IQMUZTPUXVA? Check your answers here: Word search IQMUZTPUXVA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 20: This Day in History
In the ancient astronomy, it was the cusp day between Capricorn and Aquarius. In some years it is Aquarius, but others Capricorn. It depends on the year.
January 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1502The present-day location of Rio de Janeiro is first explored.
- 1783The Kingdom of Great Britain signs a peace treaty with France and Spain, officially ending hostilities in the American Revolutionary War (also known as the American War of Independence).
- 1788The third and main part of First Fleet arrives at Botany Bay. Arthur Phillip decides that Botany Bay is unsuitable for the location of a penal colony, and decides to move to Port Jackson.
- 1801John Marshall is appointed the Chief Justice of the United States.
- 1921The first Constitution of Turkey is adopted, making fundamental changes in the source and exercise of sovereignty by consecrating the principle of national sovereignty.
- 1942World War II: At the Wannsee Conference held in the Berlin suburb of Wannsee, senior Nazi German officials discuss the implementation of the “Final Solution to the Jewish Question”.
- 1945World War II: Germany begins the evacuation of 1.8 million people from East Prussia, a task which will take nearly two months.
- 1954The National Negro Network is established with 40 charter member radio stations.
- 1999The China News Service announces new government restrictions on Internet use, aimed especially at Internet cafés.
- 2006Witnesses report seeing a bottlenose whale swimming in the River Thames, the first time the species had been seen in the Thames since records began in 1913.
Who were born on January 20?
- 1940Carol Heiss, American figure skater
- 1945Robert Olen Butler, American writer
- 1948Mel Pritchard, British Musician
- 1953Jeffrey Epstein, American financier and convicted sex offender
- 1959R.A. Salvatore, American author
- 1960Will Wright, American computer game designer
- 1980Philippe Cousteau, Jr., French oceanographer; grandson of Jacques Cousteau
- 1981Freddy Guzmán, Dominican baseball player
- 1982Fredrik Strømstad, Norwegian footballer
- 1983Geovany Soto, Puerto Rican baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.