January 21: Day of the Week
January 21, 2020 was the 21st day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 345 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Veronica’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1643Abel Tasman becomes the first European to reach Tonga.
- 1720Sweden and Prussia sign the Treaty of Stockholm.
- 1793After being found guilty of treason by the French Convention, Louis XVI of France is executed by guillotine.
- 1911The first Monte Carlo Rally takes place.
- 1915Kiwanis International is founded in Detroit, Michigan.
- 1948The Flag of Quebec is adopted and flown for the first time over the National Assembly of Quebec. The day is marked annually as Quebec Flag Day.
- 1966New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Horse in Chinese astrology.
- 1997Newt Gingrich becomes the first leader of the United States House of Representatives to be internally disciplined for ethical misconduct.
- 1999War on Drugs: In one of the largest drug busts in American history, the United States Coast Guard intercepts a ship with over 4300 kg of cocaine on board.
- 2008Black Monday in worldwide stock markets. FTSE 100 had its biggest ever one-day points fall, European stocks closed with their worst result since 11 September 2001, and Asian stocks drop as much as 14%.
Who were born on January 21?
- 1804Eliza Roxcy Snow, American poet (d. 1887)
- 1887Georges Vézina, Canadian ice hockey player (d. 1926)
- 1899Alexander Tcherepnin, Russian born American composer (d. 1977)
- 1910Eua Sunthornsanan, Thai composer and bandleader (d. 1981)
- 1924Benny Hill, English actor, comedian, and singer (d. 1992)
- 1928Gene Sharp, American political theorist and pacifist
- 1966Candi Milo, American voice actress
- 1972Cat Power (Chan Marshall), American musician
- 1983Peter Philipakos, American/Greek soccer player
- 2001Jackson Brundage, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.