January 21: Day of the Week
January 21, 2021 was the 21st day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 344 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters QVRYSAEUGU? Check your answers here: Word search QVRYSAEUGU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1840Jules Dumont d'Urville discovers Adélie Land, Antarctica.
- 1887465 mm of rain falls in Brisbane, a record for any Australian capital city.
- 1925Albania declares itself a republic.
- 1950Alger Hiss is convicted of perjury.
- 1966New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Horse in Chinese astrology.
- 1968A B-52 bomber crashes near Thule Air Base, contaminating the area after its nuclear payload ruptures. One of the four bombs remains unaccounted for after the cleanup operation is complete.
- 1968Vietnam War: Battle of Khe Sanh – One of the most publicized and controversial battles of the war begins.
- 1976Commercial service of Concorde begins with the London-Bahrain and Paris-Rio routes.
- 1985The inauguration of President Ronald Reagan to a second term, already postponed a day because January 20 fell on a Sunday, becomes the second inauguration in history moved indoors because of freezing temperatures and high winds. The parade is cancelled altogether.
- 2008Black Monday in worldwide stock markets. FTSE 100 had its biggest ever one-day points fall, European stocks closed with their worst result since 11 September 2001, and Asian stocks drop as much as 14%.
Who were born on January 21?
- 1829King Oscar II of Sweden and Norway (d. 1907)
- 1906Igor Moiseyev, Russian choreographer (d. 2007)
- 1922Paul Scofield, English actor (d. 2008)
- 1932John Chaney, American basketball coach
- 1942Mac Davis, American musician
- 1956Geena Davis, American actress
- 1975Nicky Butt, English footballer
- 1981Jamie Dalrymple, English cricketer
- 1982Dean Whitehead, English footballer
- 1982Simon Rolfes, German footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.