January 21: Day of the Week
January 21, 2021 was the 21st day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 344 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters GIOKGUSYBES? Check your answers here: Unscramble words GIOKGUSYBES. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1749The Verona Philharmonic Theatre is destroyed by fire. It is rebuilt in 1754.
- 1840Jules Dumont d'Urville discovers Adélie Land, Antarctica.
- 1861American Civil War: Jefferson Davis resigns from the United States Senate.
- 1893The Tati Concessions Land, formerly part of Matabeleland, is formally annexed to the Bechuanaland Protectorate, now Botswana.
- 1931Sir Isaac Isaacs is sworn in as the first Australian-born Governor-General of Australia.
- 1950Alger Hiss is convicted of perjury.
- 1954The first nuclear-powered submarine, the USS Nautilus, is launched in Groton, Connecticut by Mamie Eisenhower, the First Lady of the United States.
- 1966New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Horse in Chinese astrology.
- 1999War on Drugs: In one of the largest drug busts in American history, the United States Coast Guard intercepts a ship with over 4300 kg of cocaine on board.
- 2004NASA’s MER-A (the Mars Rover Spirit) ceases communication with mission control. The problem lies in the management of its flash memory and is fixed remotely from Earth on February 6.
Who were born on January 21?
- 1825Imre Madách, Hungarian writer (d. 1864)
- 1885Umberto Nobile, Italian aeronautical engineer (d. 1978)
- 1897René Iché, French sculptor (d. 1954)
- 1905Karl Wallenda, German acrobat (d. 1978)
- 1922Paul Scofield, English actor (d. 2008)
- 1940Jack Nicklaus, American golfer
- 1942Mac Davis, American musician
- 1966Candi Milo, American voice actress
- 1978Andrei Zyuzin, Russian ice hockey player
- 1988Vanessa Hessler, Italian model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.