January 22: Day of the Week
January 22, 2020 was the 22nd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 344 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters BOXUOFAHF? Check your answers here: Word search BOXUOFAHF. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1506The first contingent of 150 Swiss Guards arrives at the Vatican.
- 1689The Convention Parliament convenes to determine if James II, the last Roman Catholic king of England, had vacated the throne when he fled to France in 1688.
- 1879Anglo-Zulu War: Battle of Isandlwana – Zulu troops defeat British troops.
- 1909New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Rooster in Chinese astrology.
- 1946Iran: Qazi Muhammad declares the independent people’s Republic of Mahabad at Chuwarchira Square in the Kurdish city of Mahabad. He is the new president; Hadschi Baba Scheich is the prime minister.
- 1957Israel withdraws from the Sinai Peninsula.
- 1959Knox Mine Disaster: Water breaches the River Slope Mine near Pittston City, Pennsylvania in Port Griffith; 12 miners are killed.
- 1963The Elysée treaty of cooperation between France and Germany is signed by Charles de Gaulle and Konrad Adenauer.
- 1969A gunman attempts to assassinate Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev.
- 1992Rebel forces occupy Zaire’s national radio station in Kinshasa and broadcast a demand for the government’s resignation.
Who were born on January 22?
- 1781François Antoine Habeneck, French violinist (d. 1849)
- 1900Ernst Busch, German singer and actor (d. 1980)
- 1904Arkady Gaidar, Russian children’s writer (d. 1941)
- 1915Heinrich Albertz, German theologian and politician (d. 1993)
- 1934Graham Kerr, British-born chef
- 1946Malcolm McLaren, British music manager (d. 2010)
- 1957Francis Wheen, English writer and journalist
- 1968Heath, Japanese bass guitarist (X Japan)
- 1970Alex Ross, American comic book artist
- 1986Daniel Wayne Smith, American reality television personality (d. 2006)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.