January 22: Day of the Week
January 22, 2021 was the 22nd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 343 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters KABIOL? Check your answers here: Unscramble words KABIOL. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 22 Historical Event(s)
- 565Eutychius is deposed as Patriarch of Constantinople by John Scholasticus.
- 1879Anglo-Zulu War: Battle of Isandlwana – Zulu troops defeat British troops.
- 1879Anglo-Zulu War: Battle of Rorke’s Drift – 139 British soldiers successfully defend their garrison against an intense assault by four to five thousand Zulu warriors.
- 1890The United Mine Workers of America is founded in Columbus, Ohio.
- 1944World War II: The Allies commence Operation Shingle, an assault on Anzio, Italy.
- 1959Knox Mine Disaster: Water breaches the River Slope Mine near Pittston City, Pennsylvania in Port Griffith; 12 miners are killed.
- 1963The Elysée treaty of cooperation between France and Germany is signed by Charles de Gaulle and Konrad Adenauer.
- 1973A chartered Boeing 707 explodes in flames upon landing at Kano Airport, Nigeria, killing 176.
- 2002Kmart becomes the largest retailer in United States history to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
- 2042New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Dog in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on January 22?
- 1882Theodore Kosloff, Russian-born actor, ballet dancer and choreographer (d. 1956)
- 1889Amos Strunk, American baseball player (d. 1979)
- 1916Bill Durnan, Canadian ice hockey player (d. 1972)
- 1918Elmer Lach, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1945Arthur Beetson, Australian rugby league footballer and coach (d. 2011)
- 1958Nikos Anastopoulos, Greek football player and manager
- 1965DJ Jazzy Jeff, American rapper and actor
- 1969Keith Gordon, American baseball player
- 1971Stan Collymore, English footballer
- 1982Fabricio Coloccini, Argentine footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.