January 22: Day of the Week
January 22, 2023 was the 22nd day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 343 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters AQTAOZJXUZAX? Check your answers here: Word solver AQTAOZJXUZAX. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1689The Convention Parliament convenes to determine if James II, the last Roman Catholic king of England, had vacated the throne when he fled to France in 1688.
- 1879Anglo-Zulu War: Battle of Isandlwana – Zulu troops defeat British troops.
- 1905Bloody Sunday in St. Petersburg, beginning of the 1905 revolution.
- 1909New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Rooster in Chinese astrology.
- 1946Creation of the Central Intelligence Group, forerunner of the Central Intelligence Agency.
- 1947KTLA, the first commercial television station west of the Mississippi River, begins operation in Hollywood, California.
- 1968Apollo 5 lifts off carrying the first Lunar module into space.
- 1987Philippine security forces open fire on a crowd of 10,000–15,000 demonstrators at Malacañang Palace, Manila, killing 13.
- 1991Gulf War: Three SCUDs and one Patriot missile hit Ramat Gan in Israel, injuring 96 people. Three elderly people die of heart attacks.
- 2006Evo Morales is inaugurated as President of Bolivia, becoming the country’s first indigenous president.
Who were born on January 22?
- 1875D. W. Griffith, American film director (d. 1948)
- 1886Roman Ungern von Sternberg, Russian counter-revolutionary (d. 1921)
- 1909Porfirio Rubirosa, Dominican diplomat and international playboy (d. 1965)
- 1931Sam Cooke, American singer (d. 1964)
- 1936Alan J. Heeger, American chemist, Nobel laureate
- 1946Serge Savard, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1967Ecaterina Szabo, Romanian gymnast
- 1975Felipe Giaffone, Brazilian racing driver
- 1982Fabricio Coloccini, Argentine footballer
- 1986Maher Magri, Tunisian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.