January 22: Day of the Week
January 22, 2019 was the 22nd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 343 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Tabitha’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1506The first contingent of 150 Swiss Guards arrives at the Vatican.
- 1879Anglo-Zulu War: Battle of Isandlwana – Zulu troops defeat British troops.
- 1899Leaders of six Australian colonies meet in Melbourne to discuss confederation.
- 1909New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Rooster in Chinese astrology.
- 1917World War I: President Woodrow Wilson of the still-neutral United States calls for “peace without victory” in Europe.
- 1924Ramsay MacDonald becomes the first Labour Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- 1941World War II: British and Commonwealth troops capture Tobruk from Italian forces during Operation Compass.
- 1968Apollo 5 lifts off carrying the first Lunar module into space.
- 1970The Boeing 747, the world’s first “jumbo jet”, enters commercial service for launch customer Pan American Airways with its maiden voyage from John F Kennedy International Airport to London Heathrow Airport.
- 1973The Supreme Court of the United States delivers its decision in Roe v. Wade, legalizing elective abortion in all fifty states.
Who were born on January 22?
- 1440Ivan III of Russia (d. 1505)
- 1733Philip Carteret, British Naval Officer (d. 1796)
- 1916Harilal Upadhyay, Gujarati author, poet, astrologist (d. 1994)
- 1925Johnny Bucha, American baseball player (d. 1996)
- 1939Alfredo Palacio, former President of Ecuador
- 1953Myung-Whun Chung,South Korean Conductor and pianist
- 1968Frank Lebœuf, French footballer
- 1970Alex Ross, American comic book artist
- 1972Katie Barberi, Mexican actress
- 1979Carlos Ruiz, Panamanian baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.