January 22: Day of the Week
January 22, 2019 was the 22nd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 343 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
January 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1849Second Anglo-Sikh War: The Siege of Multan ends after nine months when the last Sikh defenders of Multan, Punjab, surrender.
- 1879Anglo-Zulu War: Battle of Rorke’s Drift – 139 British soldiers successfully defend their garrison against an intense assault by four to five thousand Zulu warriors.
- 1890The United Mine Workers of America is founded in Columbus, Ohio.
- 1909New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Rooster in Chinese astrology.
- 1919Act Zluky is signed, unifying the Ukrainian People’s Republic and the West Ukrainian National Republic.
- 1941World War II: British and Commonwealth troops capture Tobruk from Italian forces during Operation Compass.
- 1944World War II: The Allies commence Operation Shingle, an assault on Anzio, Italy.
- 1987Pennsylvania politician R. Budd Dwyer shoots and kills himself during a televised press conference, leading to debates on boundaries in journalism.
- 1987Philippine security forces open fire on a crowd of 10,000–15,000 demonstrators at Malacañang Palace, Manila, killing 13.
- 1999Australian missionary Graham Staines and his two sons are burned alive by radical Hindus while sleeping in their car in Eastern India.
Who were born on January 22?
- 1740Noah Phelps, American Spy (d. 1809)
- 1869Grigori Rasputin, Russian monk (d. 1916)
- 1874Edward Harkness, American philanthropist (d. 1940)
- 1937Joseph Wambaugh, American author
- 1949Phil Miller, English guitarist (National Health, In Cahoots, Matching Mole)
- 1972Romi Park, Japanese seiyu (voice actress)
- 1976Jimmy Anderson, American baseball player
- 1977Hidetoshi Nakata, Japanese footballer
- 1987Astrid Jacobsen, Norwegian cross-country skier
- 1991Alex MacDowall, British racing driver
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.