January 22: Day of the Week
January 22, 2021 was the 22nd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 343 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters WEGAOORPW? Check your answers here: Word solver WEGAOORPW. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1879Anglo-Zulu War: Battle of Isandlwana – Zulu troops defeat British troops.
- 1890The United Mine Workers of America is founded in Columbus, Ohio.
- 1906SS Valencia runs aground on rocks on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, killing more than 130.
- 1944World War II: The Allies commence Operation Shingle, an assault on Anzio, Italy.
- 1946Creation of the Central Intelligence Group, forerunner of the Central Intelligence Agency.
- 1962The Organization of American States suspends Cuba’s membership.
- 1992Rebel forces occupy Zaire’s national radio station in Kinshasa and broadcast a demand for the government’s resignation.
- 1995Israeli-Palestinian conflict: Beit Lid massacre – In central Israel, near Netanya, two suicide bombers from the Gaza Strip blow themselves up at a military transit point killing 19 Israelis.
- 2002Kmart becomes the largest retailer in United States history to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
- 2023New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Rabbit in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on January 22?
- 1858Beatrice Webb, English economist (d. 1943)
- 1869José Vicente de Freitas, Portuguese military officer and politician (d. 1952)
- 1877Tom Jones, American baseball player (d. 1923)
- 1890Fred M. Vinson, 13th Chief Justice of the United States (d. 1953)
- 1909Ann Sothern, American actress (d. 2001)
- 1934Graham Kerr, British-born chef
- 1967Nick Gillingham, British swimmer
- 1969John Linton Roberson, American cartoonist
- 1978Chone Figgins, American baseball player
- 1983Shaun Cody, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.