January 22: Day of the Week
January 22, 2017 was the 22nd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 343 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Create unlimited collages for every occasion, big or small. Share online with animation and music, or print as heartfelt decor, keepsake cards, or frame-worthy gifts. Turn photos into art with Smilebox. It’s FREE - download now! (Sponsored link)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Aquarius horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1771Spain cedes Port Egmont in the Falkland Islands to the United Kingdom.
- 1849Second Anglo-Sikh War: The Siege of Multan ends after nine months when the last Sikh defenders of Multan, Punjab, surrender.
- 1901Edward VII is proclaimed King after the death of his mother, Queen Victoria.
- 1906SS Valencia runs aground on rocks on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, killing more than 130.
- 1915Over 600 people are killed in Guadalajara, Mexico, when a train plunges off the tracks into a deep canyon.
- 1919Act Zluky is signed, unifying the Ukrainian People’s Republic and the West Ukrainian National Republic.
- 1968Apollo 5 lifts off carrying the first Lunar module into space.
- 1969A gunman attempts to assassinate Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev.
- 1995Israeli-Palestinian conflict: Beit Lid massacre – In central Israel, near Netanya, two suicide bombers from the Gaza Strip blow themselves up at a military transit point killing 19 Israelis.
- 2023New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Rabbit in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on January 22?
- 1909U Thant, Burmese diplomat and 3rd United Nations Secretary General (d. 1974)
- 1920Irving Kristol, American pundit, columnist and author (d. 2009)
- 1920Sir Alf Ramsey, English football manager (d. 1999)
- 1949Mike Caldwell, American baseball player
- 1954Tully Blanchard, American professional wrestler
- 1962Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin of Terengganu, Yang di-Pertuan Agong of Malaysia
- 1968Mauricio Serna, Colombian footballer
- 1981Ben Moody, American guitarist (Evanescence)
- 1986Lee Pa-ni, South Korean model
- 1988Greg Oden, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.