January 23: Day of the Week
January 23, 2021 was the 23rd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 342 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters BHOAIQJLN? Check your answers here: Words with these letters BHOAIQJLN. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1719The Principality of Liechtenstein is created within the Holy Roman Empire.
- 1879Anglo-Zulu War: the Battle of Rorke’s Drift ends.
- 1897Elva Zona Heaster is found dead in Greenbrier County, West Virginia. The resulting murder trial of her husband is perhaps the only case in United States history where the alleged testimony of a ghost helped secure a conviction.
- 1900The Battle of Spion Kop between the forces of the South African Republic and the Orange Free State and British forces during the Second Boer War resulted in a British defeat.
- 1904Ålesund Fire: the Norwegian coastal town Ålesund is devastated by fire, leaving 10,000 people homeless and one person dead. Kaiser Wilhelm II funds the rebuilding of the town in Jugendstil style.
- 1937In Moscow, 17 leading Communists go on trial accused of participating in a plot led by Leon Trotsky to overthrow Joseph Stalin’s regime and assassinate its leaders.
- 1960The bathyscaphe USS Trieste breaks a depth record by descending to 10,911 m (35,798 feet) in the Pacific Ocean.
- 1968North Korea seizes the USS Pueblo, claiming the ship had violated their territorial waters while spying.
- 1973A volcanic eruption devastates Heimaey in the Vestmannaeyjar chain of islands off the south coast of Iceland.
- 2031New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Pig in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on January 23?
- 1783Stendhal, French writer (d. 1842)
- 1809Veer Surendra Sai, Indian Freedom Fighter (d. 1884)
- 1832Édouard Manet, French artist (d. 1883)
- 1942Razzak, Bangladeshi actor and director
- 1953John Luther Adams, American composer
- 1959Clive Bull, English radio talk show host
- 1970Spyridon Vasdekis, Greek long jumper
- 1972Ewen Bremner, Scottish actor
- 1985Dong Fangzhuo, Chinese footballer
- 1990Martyn Waghorn, English footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.