January 23: Day of the Week
January 23, 2019 was the 23rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 342 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Howard’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1556The deadliest earthquake in history, the Shaanxi earthquake, hits Shaanxi province, China. The death toll may have been as high as 830,000.
- 1656Blaise Pascal publishes the first of his Lettres provinciales.
- 1870In Montana, U.S. cavalrymen kill 173 Native Americans, mostly women and children, in the Marias Massacre.
- 1917New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Snake in Chinese astrology.
- 1943Duke Ellington plays at Carnegie Hall in New York City for the first time.
- 1945World War II: Karl Dönitz launches Operation Hannibal.
- 1958Overthrow in Venezuela of Marcos Pérez Jiménez
- 1961The Portuguese luxury cruise ship Santa Maria is hijacked by foes of the Estado Novo regime with the intention of waging war until dictator António de Oliveira Salazar was overthrown.
- 1964The 24th Amendment to the United States Constitution, prohibiting the use of poll taxes in national elections, is ratified.
- 1968North Korea seizes the USS Pueblo, claiming the ship had violated their territorial waters while spying.
Who were born on January 23?
- 1855John Moses Browning, American inventor (d. 1926)
- 1857Andrija Mohorovičić, Croatian seismologist (d. 1936)
- 1897Sir William Samuel Stephenson, Canadian soldier, W.W.II codename, Intrepid. Inspiration for James Bond. (d. 1989)
- 1938Georg Baselitz, German painter and sculptor
- 1945Mike Harris, Canadian politician, Premier of Ontario
- 1962Vasia Panayopoulou, Greek actress
- 1964Mariska Hargitay, American actress
- 1969Andrei Kanchelskis, Ukrainian-Russian footballer
- 1974Rebekah Elmaloglou, Australian actress
- 1986Benjamin Griesert, German footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.