January 23: Day of the Week
January 23, 2020 was the 23rd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 343 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Inez’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1656Blaise Pascal publishes the first of his Lettres provinciales.
- 1855The first bridge over the Mississippi River opens in what is now Minneapolis, Minnesota, a crossing made today by the Father Louis Hennepin Bridge.
- 1870In Montana, U.S. cavalrymen kill 173 Native Americans, mostly women and children, in the Marias Massacre.
- 1900The Battle of Spion Kop between the forces of the South African Republic and the Orange Free State and British forces during the Second Boer War resulted in a British defeat.
- 1904Ålesund Fire: the Norwegian coastal town Ålesund is devastated by fire, leaving 10,000 people homeless and one person dead. Kaiser Wilhelm II funds the rebuilding of the town in Jugendstil style.
- 1907Charles Curtis of Kansas becomes the first Native American U.S. Senator.
- 1942World War II: The Battle of Rabaul begins, the first fighting of the New Guinea campaign.
- 1950The Knesset passes a resolution that states Jerusalem is the capital of Israel.
- 1974New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Tiger in Chinese astrology.
- 2009Dendermonde nursery attack in Dendermonde, Belgium.
Who were born on January 23?
- 1828Saigō Takamori, Samurai, leader of Satsuma rebellion (d. 1877)
- 1884Ralph DePalma, Italian-American race car driver (d. 1956)
- 1899Glen Kidston, British aviator and racing driver (d. 1931)
- 1903Jorge Eliécer Gaitán, Colombian politician (d. 1948)
- 1942Razzak, Bangladeshi actor and director
- 1954Edward Ka-Spel, English musician (Legendary Pink Dots)
- 1973Tomas Holmström, Swedish ice hockey player
- 1977Kamal Heer, Punjabi singer and musician
- 1985Doutzen Kroes, Dutch supermodel
- 1986Anne Foy, British children’s television presenter
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.