January 23: Day of the Week
January 23, 2019 was the 23rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 342 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Gregory’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1368In a coronation ceremony, Zhu Yuanzhang ascends to the throne of China as the Hongwu Emperor, initiating Ming Dynasty rule over China that would last for three centuries.
- 1570James Stewart, 1st Earl of Moray, regent for the infant King James VI of Scotland, is assassinated by firearm, the first recorded instance of such.
- 1900The Battle of Spion Kop between the forces of the South African Republic and the Orange Free State and British forces during the Second Boer War resulted in a British defeat.
- 1907Charles Curtis of Kansas becomes the first Native American U.S. Senator.
- 1912The International Opium Convention is signed at The Hague.
- 1928New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Dragon in Chinese astrology.
- 1941Charles Lindbergh testifies before the U.S. Congress and recommends that the United States negotiate a neutrality pact with Adolf Hitler.
- 1967Diplomatic relations between the Soviet Union and Ivory Coast are established.
- 1997Madeleine Albright becomes the first woman to serve as United States Secretary of State.
- 2009Dendermonde nursery attack in Dendermonde, Belgium.
Who were born on January 23?
- 1745William Jessop, English canal engineer (d. 1814)
- 1897Subhas Chandra Bose, Indian independence fighter (d. 1945)
- 1907Dan Duryea, American actor (d. 1968)
- 1946Arnoldo Alemán, ex-president of Nicaragua
- 1948Anita Pointer, American singer (Pointer Sisters)
- 1969Andrei Kanchelskis, Ukrainian-Russian footballer
- 1975Tito Ortiz, American UFC fighter
- 1976Tony Lucca, actor, singer and musician
- 1988Alan Power, Irish footballer
- 1989April Pearson, British actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.