January 23: Day of the Week
January 23, 2021 is the 23rd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 342 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters TUUANZAU? Check your answers here: Unscramble words TUUANZAU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 23 Historical Event(s)
- 3102 BCEEpoch (origin) of the Kali Yuga.
- 1789Georgetown College, the first Catholic University in the United States, is founded in Georgetown, Maryland (now a part of Washington, D.C.)
- 1793Second Partition of Poland: Russia and Prussia partition Poland for the second time.
- 1855The first bridge over the Mississippi River opens in what is now Minneapolis, Minnesota, a crossing made today by the Father Louis Hennepin Bridge.
- 1879Anglo-Zulu War: the Battle of Rorke’s Drift ends.
- 1899Emilio Aguinaldo is sworn in as President of the First Philippine Republic.
- 1937In Moscow, 17 leading Communists go on trial accused of participating in a plot led by Leon Trotsky to overthrow Joseph Stalin’s regime and assassinate its leaders.
- 1943World War II: Australian and American forces finally defeat the Japanese army in Papua. This turning point in the Pacific War marks the beginning of the end of Japanese aggression.
- 1973A volcanic eruption devastates Heimaey in the Vestmannaeyjar chain of islands off the south coast of Iceland.
- 2012New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Dragon in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on January 23?
- 1783Stendhal, French writer (d. 1842)
- 1786Auguste de Montferrand, French architect (d. 1858)
- 1881Luisa Casati, Artist’s patroness, muse and fashion icon (d. 1957)
- 1930Derek Walcott, West Indian writer, Nobel laureate
- 1944Rutger Hauer, Dutch actor
- 1961Mas Selamat bin Kastari, Singapore’s most-wanted terror fugitive
- 1962Elvira Lindo, Spanish writer and journalist
- 1973Lanei Chapman, American actress
- 1973Tomas Holmström, Swedish ice hockey player
- 1987Felicia Brandström, Swedish singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.