January 23: Day of the Week
January 23, 2019 was the 23rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 342 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
January 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1368In a coronation ceremony, Zhu Yuanzhang ascends to the throne of China as the Hongwu Emperor, initiating Ming Dynasty rule over China that would last for three centuries.
- 1546Having published nothing for eleven years, François Rabelais publishes the Tiers Livre, his sequel to Gargantua and Pantagruel.
- 1556The deadliest earthquake in history, the Shaanxi earthquake, hits Shaanxi province, China. The death toll may have been as high as 830,000.
- 1719The Principality of Liechtenstein is created within the Holy Roman Empire.
- 1870In Montana, U.S. cavalrymen kill 173 Native Americans, mostly women and children, in the Marias Massacre.
- 1920The Netherlands refuses to surrender ex-Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany to the Allies.
- 1941Charles Lindbergh testifies before the U.S. Congress and recommends that the United States negotiate a neutrality pact with Adolf Hitler.
- 1943World War II: Australian and American forces finally defeat the Japanese army in Papua. This turning point in the Pacific War marks the beginning of the end of Japanese aggression.
- 1974New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Tiger in Chinese astrology.
- 2002“American Taliban” John Walker Lindh returns to the United States in FBI custody.
Who were born on January 23?
- 1828Saigō Takamori, Samurai, leader of Satsuma rebellion (d. 1877)
- 1899Glen Kidston, British aviator and racing driver (d. 1931)
- 1910Django Reinhardt, Belgian guitarist (d. 1953)
- 1919Bob Paisley, English football player and manager. (d. 1996)
- 1924Bal Thackeray, founder and president of Indian political party Shiv Sena
- 1935Bob Moses, American civil rights activist
- 1943Gary Burton, American jazz vibraphonist
- 1972Lisa Snowdon, British model and TV presenter
- 1974Richard T. Slone, British artist
- 1975Tito Ortiz, American UFC fighter
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.