January 24: Day of the Week
January 24, 2020 was the 24th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 342 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Maria’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1438The Council of Basel suspends Pope Eugene IV as Prelate of Ethiopia, arrives at Massawa from Goa.
- 1679King Charles II of England dissolves the Cavalier Parliament.
- 1742Charles VII Albert becomes Holy Roman Emperor.
- 1848California Gold Rush: James W. Marshall finds gold at Sutter’s Mill near Sacramento.
- 1857The University of Calcutta is formally founded as the first fully-fledged university in south Asia.
- 1862Bucharest is proclaimed capital of Romania.
- 1936New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Rat in Chinese astrology.
- 1966An Air India Boeing 707 jet crashes on Mont Blanc, on the border between France and Italy, killing 117.
- 1978Soviet satellite Cosmos 954, with a nuclear reactor onboard, burns up in Earth’s atmosphere, scattering radioactive debris over Canada’s Northwest Territories. Only 1% is recovered.
- 1986Voyager 2 passes within 81500 km of Uranus.
Who were born on January 24?
- 1776E.T.A. Hoffmann, German writer (d. 1822)
- 1872Ethel Turner, Australian author (d. 1958)
- 1900Theodosius Dobzhansky, Ukrainian-born American geneticist and biologist (d. 1975)
- 1934Stanisław Grochowiak, Polish poet (d. 1976)
- 1936Bobby Wellins, Scottish jazz saxophonist
- 1936William Bogert, American actor
- 1970Matthew Lillard, American actor
- 1971Cory Bailey, American baseball player
- 1981Travis Hanson, American baseball player
- 1983Scott Speed, American race car driver
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.