January 24: Day of the Week
January 24, 2020 was the 24th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 342 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Albert’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1438The Council of Basel suspends Pope Eugene IV as Prelate of Ethiopia, arrives at Massawa from Goa.
- 1679King Charles II of England dissolves the Cavalier Parliament.
- 1857The University of Calcutta is formally founded as the first fully-fledged university in south Asia.
- 1878The revolutionary Vera Zasulich shoots at Fyodor Trepov, the Governor of Saint Petersburg.
- 1918The Gregorian calendar is introduced in Russia by decree of the Council of People’s Commissars effective February 14(NS)
- 1978Soviet satellite Cosmos 954, with a nuclear reactor onboard, burns up in Earth’s atmosphere, scattering radioactive debris over Canada’s Northwest Territories. Only 1% is recovered.
- 1984The first Apple Macintosh goes on sale.
- 2001New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Snake in Chinese astrology.
- 2003The United States Department of Homeland Security officially begins operation.
- 2009The storm Klaus makes landfall near Bordeaux, France. It subsequently would cause 26 deaths as well as extensive disruptions to public transport and power supplies.
Who were born on January 24?
- 1670William Congreve, English playwright (d. 1729)
- 1776E.T.A. Hoffmann, German writer (d. 1822)
- 1848Vasily Surikov, Russian painter (d. 1916)
- 1886Henry King, American film director (d. 1982)
- 1949John Belushi, American actor (d. 1982)
- 1954Jo Gartner, Austrian racing driver (d. 1986)
- 1958Neil Allen, American baseball player
- 1961Nastassja Kinski, German-born actress
- 1983Shaun Maloney, Scottish footballer
- 1984Paulo Sérgio, Portuguese footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.