January 24: Day of the Week
January 24, 2019 was the 24th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 341 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
January 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1848California Gold Rush: James W. Marshall finds gold at Sutter’s Mill near Sacramento.
- 1857The University of Calcutta is formally founded as the first fully-fledged university in south Asia.
- 1916In Brushaber v. Union Pacific Railroad, the Supreme Court of the United States declares the federal income tax constitutional.
- 1918The Gregorian calendar is introduced in Russia by decree of the Council of People’s Commissars effective February 14(NS)
- 1943World War II: Franklin D. Roosevelt and Winston Churchill conclude a conference in Casablanca.
- 1966An Air India Boeing 707 jet crashes on Mont Blanc, on the border between France and Italy, killing 117.
- 1978Soviet satellite Cosmos 954, with a nuclear reactor onboard, burns up in Earth’s atmosphere, scattering radioactive debris over Canada’s Northwest Territories. Only 1% is recovered.
- 1984The first Apple Macintosh goes on sale.
- 1990Japan launches Hiten, the country’s first lunar probe, the first robotic lunar probe since the Soviet Union’s Luna 24 in 1976, and the first lunar probe launched by a country other than Soviet Union or the United States.
- 2001New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Snake in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on January 24?
- 1638Charles Sackville, 6th Earl of Dorset, English poet (d. 1706)
- 1909Ann Todd, English actress (d. 1993)
- 1947Masashi Ozaki, Japanese golfer
- 1954Jo Gartner, Austrian racing driver (d. 1986)
- 1961Nastassja Kinski, German-born actress
- 1962Argiris Kambouris, Greek basketball player
- 1968Michael Kiske, German musician
- 1977Kensuke Kita, Japanese guitarist (Asian Kung-Fu Generation)
- 1979Tatyana Ali, American actress and singer
- 1988Jade Ewen, English singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.