January 24: Day of the Week
January 24, 2020 was the 24th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 342 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Brenda’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 24 Historical Event(s)
- 41Roman Emperor Caligula, known for his eccentricity and cruel despotism, is assassinated by his disgruntled Praetorian Guards. The Guard then proclaims Caligula’s uncle Claudius as Emperor
- 1438The Council of Basel suspends Pope Eugene IV as Prelate of Ethiopia, arrives at Massawa from Goa.
- 1857The University of Calcutta is formally founded as the first fully-fledged university in south Asia.
- 1942World War II: The Allies bombard Bangkok, leading Thailand to declare war against the United States and United Kingdom.
- 1960Algerian War: Some units of European volunteers in Algiers stage an insurrection known as the “barricades week”, during which they seize government buildings and clash with local police.
- 1966An Air India Boeing 707 jet crashes on Mont Blanc, on the border between France and Italy, killing 117.
- 1972Japanese Sgt. Shoichi Yokoi is found hiding in a Guam jungle, where he had been since the end of World War II.
- 1977Massacre of Atocha in Madrid, during the Spanish transition to democracy.
- 1990Japan launches Hiten, the country’s first lunar probe, the first robotic lunar probe since the Soviet Union’s Luna 24 in 1976, and the first lunar probe launched by a country other than Soviet Union or the United States.
- 2001New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Snake in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on January 24?
- 3 BCGalba, Roman Emperor (d. 69)
- 1732Pierre-Augustin Caron de Beaumarchais, French playwright (d. 1799)
- 1911Muir Mathieson, Scottish conductor and composer (d. 1975)
- 1916Jack Brickhouse, American sports broadcaster (d. 1998)
- 1942Gary Hart, American professional wrestling figure (d. 2008)
- 1945D. Todd Christofferson, American religious figure
- 1959David Mills, American author
- 1961Nastassja Kinski, German-born actress
- 1975Isobel Cooper, English singer
- 1977Kensuke Kita, Japanese guitarist (Asian Kung-Fu Generation)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.