January 26: Day of the Week
January 26, 2022 was the 26th day of the year 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 339 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters EJYUMEOUGD? Check your answers here: Unscramble words EJYUMEOUGD. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 26 Historical Event(s)
- 1565Battle of Talikota, fought between the Vijayanagara Empire and the Islamic sultanates of the Deccan, leads to the subjugation, and eventual destruction of the last Hindu kingdom in India, and the consolidation of Islamic rule over much of the Indian subcontinent.
- 1841The United Kingdom formally occupies Hong Kong, which China later formally cedes.
- 1863American Civil War: Governor of Massachusetts John Albion Andrew receives permission from Secretary of War to raise a militia organization for men of African descent.
- 1920Former Ford Motor Company executive Henry Leland launches the Lincoln Motor Company which he later sold to his former employer.
- 1930The Indian National Congress declares 26 January as Independence Day or as the day for Poorna Swaraj (Complete Independence) which occurred 20 years later.
- 1933New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Rooster in Chinese astrology.
- 1934The Apollo Theater reopens in Harlem, New York City.
- 1965Hindi becomes the official language of India.
- 1978The Great Blizzard of 1978, a rare severe blizzard with the lowest non-tropical atmospheric pressure ever recorded in the US, strikes the Ohio – Great Lakes region with heavy snow and winds up to 100 mph (161 km/h).
- 2004President Hamid Karzai signs the new constitution of Afghanistan.
Who were born on January 26?
- 1904Seán MacBride, Irish statesman, Nobel Prize Laureate (d. 1988)
- 1911Polykarp Kusch, German-born physicist, Nobel Prize Laureate (d. 1993)
- 1920Hans Holzer, American paranormal researcher (d. 2009)
- 1924Alice Babs, Swedish singer
- 1945Jacqueline du Pré, English cellist (d. 1987)
- 1954Kim Hughes, Australian cricketer
- 1963José Mourinho, Portuguese football manager
- 1965Thomas Östros, Swedish politician
- 1976Hitomi, Japanese singer and songwriter
- 1984Wu Qian, Chinese classical pianist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.