January 26: Day of the Week
January 26, 2020 was the 26th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 340 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Meredith’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 26 Historical Event(s)
- 1531Lisbon, Portugal is hit by an earthquake--thousands die.
- 1589Job is elected as Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia.
- 1870American Civil War: Virginia rejoins the Union.
- 1914New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Tiger in Chinese astrology.
- 1920Former Ford Motor Company executive Henry Leland launches the Lincoln Motor Company which he later sold to his former employer.
- 1949The Hale telescope at Palomar Observatory sees first light under the direction of Edwin Hubble, becoming the largest aperture optical telescope (until BTA-6 is built in 1976).
- 1950The Constitution of India comes into force, forming a republic. Rajendra Prasad is sworn in as its first President of India. Observed as Republic Day in India.
- 1991Mohamed Siad Barre is removed from power in Somalia, ending centralized government, and is succeeded by Ali Mahdi.
- 2004President Hamid Karzai signs the new constitution of Afghanistan.
- 2009Rioting breaks out in Antananarivo, Madagascar, sparking a political crisis that will result in the replacement of President Marc Ravalomanana with Andry Rajoelina.
Who were born on January 26?
- 1722Alexander Carlyle, Scottish church leader (d. 1805)
- 1904Ancel Keys, American scientist (d. 2004)
- 1908Stéphane Grappelli, French jazz violinist (d. 1997)
- 1930Napoleón Abueva, Filipino sculptor
- 1933Ercole Baldini, Italian cyclist
- 1942Souad Hosni, Egyptian actress (d. 2001)
- 1950Jörg Haider, Austrian far-right politician (d. 2008)
- 1954Kim Hughes, Australian cricketer
- 1958Salvador Sánchez, Mexican boxer
- 1967Pradip Somasundaran, Indian playback singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.