January 26: Day of the Week
January 26, 2019 was the 26th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 339 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
January 26 Historical Event(s)
- 1589Job is elected as Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia.
- 1838Tennessee enacts the first prohibition law in the United States
- 1855Point No Point Treaty is signed in Washington Territory.
- 1863American Civil War: Governor of Massachusetts John Albion Andrew receives permission from Secretary of War to raise a militia organization for men of African descent.
- 1907The Short Magazine Lee-Enfield Mk III is officially introduced into British Military Service, and remains the second oldest military rifle still in official use.
- 1914New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Tiger in Chinese astrology.
- 1918Finnish Civil War: A group of Red Guards hangs a red lantern atop the tower of Helsinki Workers’ Hall to symbolically mark the start of the war.
- 1920Former Ford Motor Company executive Henry Leland launches the Lincoln Motor Company which he later sold to his former employer.
- 1934The Apollo Theater reopens in Harlem, New York City.
- 1949The Hale telescope at Palomar Observatory sees first light under the direction of Edwin Hubble, becoming the largest aperture optical telescope (until BTA-6 is built in 1976).
Who were born on January 26?
- 1497Emperor Go-Nara of Japan (d. 1557)
- 1852Pierre Savorgnan de Brazza (Pietro Paolo Savorgnan di Brazzà), explorer (d. 1905)
- 1922Michael Bentine, British comedian (d. 1996)
- 1924Alice Babs, Swedish singer
- 1927Bob Nieman, American baseball player (d. 1985)
- 1941Henry Jaglom, English director
- 1945Jacqueline du Pré, English cellist (d. 1987)
- 1954Kim Hughes, Australian cricketer
- 1978Kelly Stables, American actress
- 1984Layla Kayleigh, British television personality
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.