January 26: Day of the Week
January 26, 2020 was the 26th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 340 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Kelli’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 26 Historical Event(s)
- 1564The Council of Trent issues its conclusions in the Tridentinum, establishing a distinction between Roman Catholicism and Protestantism.
- 1700The magnitude 9 Cascadia Earthquake takes place off the west coast of the North America, as evidenced by Japanese records.
- 1788The British First Fleet, led by Arthur Phillip, sails into Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour) to establish Sydney, the first permanent European settlement on the continent. Commemorated as Australia Day
- 1838Tennessee enacts the first prohibition law in the United States
- 1861American Civil War: The state of Louisiana secedes from the Union.
- 1907The Short Magazine Lee-Enfield Mk III is officially introduced into British Military Service, and remains the second oldest military rifle still in official use.
- 1933New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Rooster in Chinese astrology.
- 1950The Constitution of India comes into force, forming a republic. Rajendra Prasad is sworn in as its first President of India. Observed as Republic Day in India.
- 1978The Great Blizzard of 1978, a rare severe blizzard with the lowest non-tropical atmospheric pressure ever recorded in the US, strikes the Ohio – Great Lakes region with heavy snow and winds up to 100 mph (161 km/h).
- 2005Glendale train crash: Two trains derail killing 11 and injuring 200 in Glendale, California, near Los Angeles.
Who were born on January 26?
- 1920Hans Holzer, American paranormal researcher (d. 2009)
- 1924Rauf Denktaş, Cypriot politician
- 1932Coxsone Dodd, Jamaican record producer
- 1935Bob Uecker, American baseball player and broadcaster
- 1951Walt Willey, American actor
- 1978Kelly Stables, American actress
- 1986Gerald Green, American basketball player
- 1987Marlon Mario Brandao da Silveira, Brazilian footballer
- 1987Mia Rose, English/Portuguese singer
- 1993Cameron Bright, Canadian actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.