January 26: Day of the Week
January 26, 2017 was the 26th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 339 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Did you know? It takes as little as 8 hours of one-on-one tutoring to improve a full letter grade, according to a nationwide poll of private tutors. Click here to search for a tutor today! More than 80,000 tutors in 300+ subjects. (Sponsored link; US only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Aquarius horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 26 Historical Event(s)
- 1838Tennessee enacts the first prohibition law in the United States
- 1855Point No Point Treaty is signed in Washington Territory.
- 1914New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Tiger in Chinese astrology.
- 1920Former Ford Motor Company executive Henry Leland launches the Lincoln Motor Company which he later sold to his former employer.
- 1930The Indian National Congress declares 26 January as Independence Day or as the day for Poorna Swaraj (Complete Independence) which occurred 20 years later.
- 1942World War II: The first United States forces arrive in Europe landing in Northern Ireland.
- 1945World War II: The Red Army begins encircling the German Fourth Army near Heiligenbeil in East Prussia, which will end in destruction of the 4th Army two months later.
- 1950The Constitution of India comes into force, forming a republic. Rajendra Prasad is sworn in as its first President of India. Observed as Republic Day in India.
- 1961John F. Kennedy appoints Janet G. Travell to be his physician. This is the first time a woman holds this appointment.
- 1998Lewinsky scandal: On American television, U.S. President Bill Clinton denies having had “sexual relations” with former White House intern Monica Lewinsky.
Who were born on January 26?
- 1763Charles XIV John of Sweden, Napoleonic general (d. 1844)
- 1842François Coppée, French poet and novelist (d. 1908)
- 1852Pierre Savorgnan de Brazza (Pietro Paolo Savorgnan di Brazzà), explorer (d. 1905)
- 1885Michael Considine, Australian politician (d. 1959)
- 1924Annette Strauss, American philanthropist and politician (d. 1998)
- 1928Roger Vadim, French film director and actor (d. 2000)
- 1931Mary Murphy, American film actress
- 1978Estéban Germán, Dominican baseball player
- 1983Petri Oravainen, Finnish footballer
- 1986Matt Heafy, American musician (Trivium)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.