January 26: Day of the Week
January 26, 2019 was the 26th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 339 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
January 26 Historical Event(s)
- 1531Lisbon, Portugal is hit by an earthquake--thousands die.
- 1565Battle of Talikota, fought between the Vijayanagara Empire and the Islamic sultanates of the Deccan, leads to the subjugation, and eventual destruction of the last Hindu kingdom in India, and the consolidation of Islamic rule over much of the Indian subcontinent.
- 1837Michigan is admitted as the 26th U.S. state.
- 1863American Civil War: General Ambrose Burnside is relieved of command of the Army of the Potomac after the disastrous Fredericksburg campaign. He is replaced by Joseph Hooker.
- 1911Glenn H. Curtiss flies the first successful American seaplane.
- 1914New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Tiger in Chinese astrology.
- 1918Finnish Civil War: A group of Red Guards hangs a red lantern atop the tower of Helsinki Workers’ Hall to symbolically mark the start of the war.
- 1945World War II: The Red Army begins encircling the German Fourth Army near Heiligenbeil in East Prussia, which will end in destruction of the 4th Army two months later.
- 1991Mohamed Siad Barre is removed from power in Somalia, ending centralized government, and is succeeded by Ali Mahdi.
- 2004A whale explodes in the town of Tainan, Taiwan. A build-up of gas in the decomposing sperm whale is suspected of causing the explosion.
Who were born on January 26?
- 1905Maria von Trapp, Austrian-born singer (d. 1987)
- 1918Nicolae Ceauşescu, Romanian dictator (d. 1989)
- 1937Joseph Saidu Momoh, Sierra Leone political leader (d. 2003)
- 1942Souad Hosni, Egyptian actress (d. 2001)
- 1960Charlie Gillingham, American musician (Counting Crows)
- 1973Mayu Shinjo, Japanese manga artist
- 1979Sara Rue, American actress
- 1980Sanae Kobayashi, Japanese voice actress
- 1987Marlon Mario Brandao da Silveira, Brazilian footballer
- 1988Yukiyo Mine, Japanese footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.