January 27: Day of the Week
January 27, 2017 was the 27th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 338 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Did you know? It takes as little as 8 hours of one-on-one tutoring to improve a full letter grade, according to a nationwide poll of private tutors. Click here to search for a tutor today! More than 80,000 tutors in 300+ subjects. (Sponsored link; US only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Aquarius horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 27 Historical Event(s)
- 98Trajan becomes Roman Emperor after the death of Nerva.
- 1186Henry VI, the son and heir of the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick I, marries Constance of Sicily.
- 1343Pope Clement VI issues the Bull Unigenitus.
- 1825The U.S. Congress approves Indian Territory (in what is present-day Oklahoma), clearing the way for forced relocation of the Eastern Indians on the “Trail of Tears”.
- 1941New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Snake in Chinese astrology.
- 1951Nuclear testing at the Nevada Test Site begins with a one-kiloton bomb dropped on Frenchman Flat.
- 1967Astronauts Gus Grissom, Edward White and Roger Chaffee are killed in a fire during a test of their Apollo 1 spacecraft at the Kennedy Space Center, Florida.
- 1993American-born sumo wrestler Akebono Tarō becomes the first foreigner to be promoted to the sport’s highest rank of yokozuna.
- 1996In a military coup Colonel Ibrahim Baré Maïnassara deposes the first democratically elected president of Niger, Mahamane Ousmane.
- 2006Western Union discontinues its Telegram and Commercial Messaging services.
Who were born on January 27?
- 1848Togo Heihachiro, Japanese admiral (d. 1934)
- 1850Samuel Gompers, American labor leader (d. 1924)
- 1859Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany (d. 1941)
- 1944Peter Akinola, Nigerian religious leader
- 1948Valeri Brainin, Russian/German musicologist, music manager, composer, and poet
- 1958James Grippando, American novelist
- 1980Chanda Gunn, American ice hockey player
- 1980Marat Safin, Russian tennis player
- 1983Deon Anderson, American football player
- 1988Toni Gänge, German footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.