January 27: Day of the Week
January 27, 2020 was the 27th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 339 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Shirley’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 27 Historical Event(s)
- 1186Henry VI, the son and heir of the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick I, marries Constance of Sicily.
- 1868Boshin War: The Battle of Toba-Fushimi between forces of the Tokugawa shogunate and pro-Imperial factions begins, which will end in defeat for the shogunate, and is a pivotal point in the Meiji Restoration.
- 1941New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Snake in Chinese astrology.
- 1943World War II: The VIII Bomber Command dispatched ninety-one B-17s and B-24s to attack the U-Boat construction yards at Wilhemshafen, Germany. The first American bombing attack on Germany.
- 1961Soviet submarine S-80 sinks with all hands lost.
- 1967Astronauts Gus Grissom, Edward White and Roger Chaffee are killed in a fire during a test of their Apollo 1 spacecraft at the Kennedy Space Center, Florida.
- 1983The pilot shaft of the Seikan Tunnel, the world’s longest sub-aqueous tunnel (53.85 km) between the Japanese islands of Honshū and Hokkaidō, breaks through.
- 1984Pop singer Michael Jackson suffers second degree burns to his scalp during the filming of a Pepsi commercial in the Shrine Auditorium.
- 1993American-born sumo wrestler Akebono Tarō becomes the first foreigner to be promoted to the sport’s highest rank of yokozuna.
- 2003The first selections for the National Recording Registry are announced by the Library of Congress.
Who were born on January 27?
- 1774Friedrich Wilhelm Joseph Schelling, German philosopher (d. 1854)
- 1885Maeda Seison, Japanese painter (d. 1977)
- 1926Ingrid Thulin, Swedish actress (d. 2004)
- 1936Troy Donahue, American actor (d. 2001)
- 1944Nick Mason, English drummer (Pink Floyd)
- 1955John G. Roberts, American jurist and the 17th Chief Justice of the United States
- 1962Roberto Paci Dalò, Italian director and composer
- 1964Bridget Fonda, American actress
- 1967Byron Mann, Hong Kong actor
- 1969Marc Forster, German-Swiss filmmaker
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.