January 27: Day of the Week
January 27, 2020 was the 27th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 339 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters TEYUUBGXEXQH? Check your answers here: Words with these letters TEYUUBGXEXQH. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 27 Historical Event(s)
- 1142Execution, believed wrongful, of noted Song Dynasty General Yue Fei.
- 1186Henry VI, the son and heir of the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick I, marries Constance of Sicily.
- 1343Pope Clement VI issues the Bull Unigenitus.
- 1825The U.S. Congress approves Indian Territory (in what is present-day Oklahoma), clearing the way for forced relocation of the Eastern Indians on the “Trail of Tears”.
- 1868Boshin War: The Battle of Toba-Fushimi between forces of the Tokugawa shogunate and pro-Imperial factions begins, which will end in defeat for the shogunate, and is a pivotal point in the Meiji Restoration.
- 1870The Kappa Alpha Theta fraternity is founded at DePauw University.
- 1888The National Geographic Society is founded in Washington, D.C.
- 1941New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Snake in Chinese astrology.
- 1974The Brisbane River breaches its banks causing the largest flood to affect the city of Brisbane in the 20th Century
- 1980Through cooperation between the U.S. and Canadian governments, six American diplomats secretly escape hostilities in Iran in the culmination of the Canadian caper.
Who were born on January 27?
- 1850John Collier, British writer and painter (d. 1934)
- 1895Joseph Rosenstock, Polish conductor (d. 1985)
- 1900Hyman Rickover, American admiral (d. 1986)
- 1904James J. Gibson, American ecological psychologist (d. 1973)
- 1926Ingrid Thulin, Swedish actress (d. 2004)
- 1942John Witherspoon, American actor
- 1944Peter Akinola, Nigerian religious leader
- 1958Kadri Mälk, Estonian artist and jewelry designer
- 1969Michael Kulas, Canadian singer (James)
- 1976Zoriah Miller, American photojournalist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.