January 27: Day of the Week
January 27, 2019 was the 27th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 338 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
January 27 Historical Event(s)
- 661The Rashidun Caliphate ends with death of Ali.
- 1785The University of Georgia is founded, the first public university in the United States.
- 1888The National Geographic Society is founded in Washington, D.C.
- 1927Ibn Saud takes the title of King of Nejd.
- 1945World War II: The Red Army liberates the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp in Poland.
- 1967The United States, United Kingdom, and Soviet Union sign the Outer Space Treaty in Washington, D.C., banning deployment of nuclear weapons in space, and limiting use of the Moon and other celestial bodies to peaceful purposes.
- 1971New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Pig in Chinese astrology.
- 1983The pilot shaft of the Seikan Tunnel, the world’s longest sub-aqueous tunnel (53.85 km) between the Japanese islands of Honshū and Hokkaidō, breaks through.
- 1984Pop singer Michael Jackson suffers second degree burns to his scalp during the filming of a Pepsi commercial in the Shrine Auditorium.
- 1996In a military coup Colonel Ibrahim Baré Maïnassara deposes the first democratically elected president of Niger, Mahamane Ousmane.
Who were born on January 27?
- 1621Thomas Willis, English physician (d. 1675)
- 1805Sophie of Bavaria, Archduchess of Austria (d. 1872)
- 1848Togo Heihachiro, Japanese admiral (d. 1934)
- 1924Sabu Dastagir, Indian actor (d. 1963)
- 1937John Ogdon, English pianist (d. 1989)
- 1940Petru Lucinschi, second President of Moldova
- 1948Valeri Brainin, Russian/German musicologist, music manager, composer, and poet
- 1954Ed Schultz, American radio talk show host
- 1969Marc Forster, German-Swiss filmmaker
- 1989Daisy Lowe, British model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.