January 27: Day of the Week
January 27, 2020 was the 27th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 339 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Lila’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 27 Historical Event(s)
- 1343Pope Clement VI issues the Bull Unigenitus.
- 1593The Vatican opens seven year trial of scholar Giordano Bruno.
- 1695Mustafa II becomes the Ottoman sultan in Istanbul on the death of Ahmed II. Mustafa rules until his abdication in 1703.
- 1868Boshin War: The Battle of Toba-Fushimi between forces of the Tokugawa shogunate and pro-Imperial factions begins, which will end in defeat for the shogunate, and is a pivotal point in the Meiji Restoration.
- 1870The Kappa Alpha Theta fraternity is founded at DePauw University.
- 1951Nuclear testing at the Nevada Test Site begins with a one-kiloton bomb dropped on Frenchman Flat.
- 1971New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Pig in Chinese astrology.
- 1974The Brisbane River breaches its banks causing the largest flood to affect the city of Brisbane in the 20th Century
- 1983The pilot shaft of the Seikan Tunnel, the world’s longest sub-aqueous tunnel (53.85 km) between the Japanese islands of Honshū and Hokkaidō, breaks through.
- 2006Western Union discontinues its Telegram and Commercial Messaging services.
Who were born on January 27?
- 1662Richard Bentley, English classical scholar (d. 1742)
- 1821John Chivington, American officer (d. 1892)
- 1908William Randolph Hearst, Jr., American newspaper magnate (d. 1993)
- 1961Karen Velez, American model
- 1961Margo Timmins, Canadian singer (Cowboy Junkies)
- 1964Jack Haley, American basketball player
- 1967Byron Mann, Hong Kong actor
- 1969Cornelius, Japanese musician and producer (Flipper’s Guitar)
- 1979Daniel Vettori, New Zealand cricketer
- 1989Carl Magnay, British footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.