January 28: Day of the Week
January 28, 2020 was the 28th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 338 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Hubert’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 28 Historical Event(s)
- 1624Sir Thomas Warner founds the first British colony in the Caribbean, on the island of Saint Kitts.
- 1851Northwestern University becomes the first chartered university in Illinois.
- 1871Franco-Prussian War: the Siege of Paris ends in French defeat and an armistice.
- 1878Yale Daily News becomes the first daily college newspaper in the United States.
- 1915An act of the U.S. Congress creates the United States Coast Guard.
- 1922Knickerbocker Storm, Washington D.C.'s biggest snowfall, causes the city’s greatest loss of life when the roof of the Knickerbocker Theatre collapses.
- 1934The first ski tow in the United States begins operation in Vermont.
- 1965The current design of the Flag of Canada is chosen by an act of Parliament.
- 1979New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- 2002TAME Flight 120, a Boeing 727-100 crashes in the Andes mountains in southern Colombia killing 92.
Who were born on January 28?
- 1622Adrien Auzout, French astronomer (d. 1691)
- 1853José Martí, Cuban revolutionary (d. 1895)
- 1892Ernst Lubitsch, German-born film director (d. 1947)
- 1903Aleksander Kamiński, Polish writer (d. 1978)
- 1915Nien Cheng, Chinese-born American writer (d. 2009)
- 1934Juan Manuel Bordeu, Argentine racing driver (d. 1990)
- 1935David Lodge, English author
- 1951Leonid Kadeniuk, Ukrainian cosmonaut
- 1975Tanya Chua, Singaporean singer
- 1977Takuma Sato, Japanese racing driver
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.