January 28: Day of the Week
January 28, 2020 was the 28th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 338 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Simon’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 28 Historical Event(s)
- 1521The Diet of Worms begins, lasting until May 25.
- 1547Henry VIII dies. His nine year old son, Edward VI becomes King, and the first Protestant ruler of England.
- 1754Horace Walpole coins the word serendipity in a letter to Horace Mann.
- 1821Alexander Island is first discovered by Fabian Gottlieb von Bellingshausen.
- 1887In a snowstorm at Fort Keogh, Montana, the world’s largest snowflakes are reported, 15 in wide and 8 in thick.
- 1941French-Thai War: Final air battle of the conflict. Japanese-mediated armistice goes into effect later in the day.
- 1979New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- 1980USCGC Blackthorn collides with the tanker Capricorn while leaving Tampa Florida and capsizes killing 23 Coast Guard crewmembers.
- 1982US Army general James L. Dozier is rescued by Italian anti-terrorism forces from captivity by the Red Brigades.
- 1984Tropical Storm Domoina makes landfall in southern Mozambique, eventually causing 214 deaths and some of the most severe flooding so far recorded in the region.
Who were born on January 28?
- 1600Pope Clement IX (d. 1669)
- 1929Claes Oldenburg, Swedish-born artist
- 1943Dick Taylor, English musician (The Rolling Stones and The Pretty Things)
- 1944John Tavener, English composer
- 1944Susan Howard, American actress
- 1961Arnaldur Indridason, Icelandic writer
- 1961Normand Rochefort, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1974Magglio Ordóñez, Venezuelan baseball player
- 1978Gianluigi Buffon, Italian footballer
- 1978Stephen Farrelly, Irish professional wrestler
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.