January 28: Day of the Week
January 28, 2019 was the 28th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 337 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Quinn’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 28 Historical Event(s)
- 1871Franco-Prussian War: the Siege of Paris ends in French defeat and an armistice.
- 1887In a snowstorm at Fort Keogh, Montana, the world’s largest snowflakes are reported, 15 in wide and 8 in thick.
- 1896Walter Arnold of East Peckham, Kent became the first person to be convicted of speeding. He is fined 1 shilling, plus costs, for speeding at 8 mph, thus exceeding the contemporary speed limit of 2 mph.
- 1922New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Dog in Chinese astrology.
- 1938The World Land Speed Record on a public road is broken by driver Rudolf Caracciola in the Mercedes-Benz W195 at a speed of 432.7 km/h.
- 1945World War II: Supplies begin to reach the Republic of China over the newly reopened Burma Road.
- 1956Elvis Presley made his first US TV appearance
- 1982US Army general James L. Dozier is rescued by Italian anti-terrorism forces from captivity by the Red Brigades.
- 1985Supergroup USA for Africa (United Support of Artists for Africa) records the hit single We Are the World, to help raise funds for Ethiopian famine relief.
- 1986Space Shuttle program: STS-51-L mission – Space Shuttle Challenger breaks apart after liftoff killing all seven astronauts on board.
Who were born on January 28?
- 1540Ludolph van Ceulen, German mathematician (d. 1610)
- 1582John Barclay, Scottish writer (d. 1621)
- 1822Alexander Mackenzie, 2nd Prime Minister of Canada (d. 1892)
- 1864Herbert Akroyd Stuart, English inventor (d. 1927)
- 1897Valentin Kataev, Russian writer (d. 1986)
- 1943Dick Taylor, English musician (The Rolling Stones and The Pretty Things)
- 1944John Tavener, English composer
- 1949Tom Downey, former American Congressman
- 1963Dan Spitz, American musician, guitarist (Anthrax)
- 1968DJ Muggs, American musician (Cypress Hill)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.