January 29: Day of the Week
January 29, 2023 was the 29th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 336 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Clyde’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 29 Historical Event(s)
- 1834US President Andrew Jackson orders first use of federal soldiers to suppress a labor dispute.
- 1845“The Raven” is published in the New York Evening Mirror, the first publication with the name of the author, Edgar Allan Poe
- 1886Karl Benz patents the first successful gasoline-driven automobile.
- 1903New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Rabbit in Chinese astrology.
- 1936The first inductees into the Baseball Hall of Fame are announced.
- 1940Three trains on the Sakurajima Line, in Osaka, Japan, collide and explode while approaching Ajikawaguchi Station. 181 people are killed.
- 1943The first day of the Battle of Rennell Island, U.S. cruiser Chicago is torpedoed and heavily damaged by Japanese bombers.
- 1967The “ultimate high” of the hippie era, the Mantra-Rock Dance, takes place in San Francisco and features Janis Joplin, Grateful Dead, and Allen Ginsberg.
- 1985Final recording session of We Are The World, by the supergroup USA for Africa.
- 1996La Fenice, Venice’s opera house, is destroyed by fire.
Who were born on January 29?
- 1749King Christian VII of Denmark (d. 1808)
- 1915John Serry, Sr., American musician and arranger (d. 2003)
- 1924Luigi Nono, Italian composer (d. 1990)
- 1930Derek Bailey, English guitar virtuoso (d. 2005)
- 1939Germaine Greer, Australian writer
- 1942Claudine Longet, French singer and dancer
- 1952Tommy Ramone, Hungarian-born musician and record producer (The Ramones)
- 1968Edward Burns, American actor
- 1980Yael Bar-Zohar, Israeli actress and model
- 1985Athina Onassis, French heiress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.