January 29: Day of the Week
January 29, 2020 was the 29th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 337 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Rene’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 29 Historical Event(s)
- 904Sergius III comes out of retirement to take over the papacy from the deposed antipope Christopher.
- 1845“The Raven” is published in the New York Evening Mirror, the first publication with the name of the author, Edgar Allan Poe
- 1856Queen Victoria institutes the Victoria Cross.
- 1940Three trains on the Sakurajima Line, in Osaka, Japan, collide and explode while approaching Ajikawaguchi Station. 181 people are killed.
- 1943The first day of the Battle of Rennell Island, U.S. cruiser Chicago is torpedoed and heavily damaged by Japanese bombers.
- 1944In Bologna, Italy, the Anatomical Theatre of the Archiginnasio is destroyed in an air-raid.
- 1949New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Ox in Chinese astrology.
- 1963The first inductees into the Pro Football Hall of Fame are announced.
- 1996President Jacques Chirac announces a “definitive end” to French nuclear weapons testing.
- 2005The first direct commercial flights from mainland China (from Guangzhou) to Taiwan since 1949 arrived in Taipei. Shortly afterwards, a China Airlines flight lands in Beijing.
Who were born on January 29?
- 1843William McKinley, American politician, 39th Governor of Ohio, and 25th President of the United States (d. 1901)
- 1860Anton Chekhov, Russian writer (d. 1904)
- 1866Julio Peris Brell, Spanish painter (d. 1944)
- 1922Gerda Steinhoff, Nazi concentration camp supervisor (d. 1946)
- 1940Kunimitsu Takahashi, Japanese motorcycle racer and racing driver
- 1947Linda B. Buck, American scientist, Nobel laureate
- 1953Ronnie Moore, English footballer
- 1961Petra Thumer, German swimmer
- 1971Clare Balding, British sports presenter
- 1980Yael Bar-Zohar, Israeli actress and model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.