January 29: Day of the Week
January 29, 2021 was the 29th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 336 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters GJAAJUCUVWO? Check your answers here: Word scramble GJAAJUCUVWO. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 29 Historical Event(s)
- 1861Kansas is admitted as the 34th U.S. state.
- 1891Liliuokalani is proclaimed Queen of Hawaii, its last monarch.
- 1903New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Rabbit in Chinese astrology.
- 1916World War I: Paris is first bombed by German zeppelins.
- 1918Ukrainian-Soviet War: An armed uprising organized by the Bolsheviks in anticipation of the encroaching Red Army begins at the Kiev Arsenal, which will be put down six days later.
- 1940Three trains on the Sakurajima Line, in Osaka, Japan, collide and explode while approaching Ajikawaguchi Station. 181 people are killed.
- 1943The first day of the Battle of Rennell Island, U.S. cruiser Chicago is torpedoed and heavily damaged by Japanese bombers.
- 1944In Bologna, Italy, the Anatomical Theatre of the Archiginnasio is destroyed in an air-raid.
- 1963The first inductees into the Pro Football Hall of Fame are announced.
- 1989Hungary establishes diplomatic relations with South Korea, making it the first Eastern Bloc nation to do so
Who were born on January 29?
- 1843William McKinley, American politician, 39th Governor of Ohio, and 25th President of the United States (d. 1901)
- 1866Romain Rolland, French writer, Nobel Laureate (d. 1944)
- 1895Muna Lee, American poet (d. 1965)
- 1924Marcelle Ferron, French-Canadian painter and stained glass artist (d. 2001)
- 1931Ferenc Madl, President of Hungary
- 1940Katharine Ross, American actress
- 1945Jim Nicholson, Irish politician
- 1979April Scott, American actress and model
- 1985Isabel Lucas, Australian actress
- 1985Todd Herzog, American reality-show contestant
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.