January 29: Day of the Week
January 29, 2020 was the 29th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 337 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Ivy’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 29 Historical Event(s)
- 1834US President Andrew Jackson orders first use of federal soldiers to suppress a labor dispute.
- 1886Karl Benz patents the first successful gasoline-driven automobile.
- 1940Three trains on the Sakurajima Line, in Osaka, Japan, collide and explode while approaching Ajikawaguchi Station. 181 people are killed.
- 1943The first day of the Battle of Rennell Island, U.S. cruiser Chicago is torpedoed and heavily damaged by Japanese bombers.
- 1979Brenda Spencer kills two people and wounds eight at the Grover Cleveland Elementary School shootings.
- 1987New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Rabbit in Chinese astrology.
- 1989Hungary establishes diplomatic relations with South Korea, making it the first Eastern Bloc nation to do so
- 1996La Fenice, Venice’s opera house, is destroyed by fire.
- 2001Thousands of student protesters in Indonesia storm parliament and demand that President Abdurrahman Wahid resign due to alleged involvement in corruption scandals.
- 2002In his State of the Union Address, President George W. Bush describes “regimes that sponsor terror” as an Axis of Evil, in which he includes Iraq, Iran and North Korea.
Who were born on January 29?
- 1749King Christian VII of Denmark (d. 1808)
- 1860Anton Chekhov, Russian writer (d. 1904)
- 1924Marcelle Ferron, French-Canadian painter and stained glass artist (d. 2001)
- 1935Roger Payne, New York City
- 1940Kunimitsu Takahashi, Japanese motorcycle racer and racing driver
- 1948Pat Kenny, Irish TV presenter and radio host
- 1958Linda Smith, British comedian (d. 2006)
- 1968Sora Jung, Korean actress
- 1970Heather Graham, American actress
- 1993Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, Japanese model, blogger and recording artist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.