January 29: Day of the Week
January 29, 2020 was the 29th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 337 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters KCIOWEOZD? Check your answers here: Word search KCIOWEOZD. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 29 Historical Event(s)
- 1819Stamford Raffles lands on the island of Singapore.
- 1845“The Raven” is published in the New York Evening Mirror, the first publication with the name of the author, Edgar Allan Poe
- 1886Karl Benz patents the first successful gasoline-driven automobile.
- 1963The first inductees into the Pro Football Hall of Fame are announced.
- 1979Brenda Spencer kills two people and wounds eight at the Grover Cleveland Elementary School shootings.
- 1996President Jacques Chirac announces a “definitive end” to French nuclear weapons testing.
- 1998In Birmingham, Alabama, a bomb explodes at an abortion clinic, killing one and severely wounding another. Serial bomber Eric Robert Rudolph is suspected as the culprit.
- 2002In his State of the Union Address, President George W. Bush describes “regimes that sponsor terror” as an Axis of Evil, in which he includes Iraq, Iran and North Korea.
- 2005The first direct commercial flights from mainland China (from Guangzhou) to Taiwan since 1949 arrived in Taipei. Shortly afterwards, a China Airlines flight lands in Beijing.
- 2006New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Dog in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on January 29?
- 1782Daniel Auber, French composer (d. 1871)
- 1930John Junkin, English radio, television and film performer (d. 2006)
- 1948Pat Kenny, Irish TV presenter and radio host
- 1952Klaus-Peter Hanisch, German footballer (d. 2009)
- 1953Ronnie Moore, English footballer
- 1967Stacey King, American basketball player
- 1971Clare Balding, British sports presenter
- 1972Brian Wood, writer and artist of graphic novels
- 1976Chris Castle, American singer-songwriter
- 1981Rui En, Singaporean actress & singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.