January 5: Day of the Week
January 5, 2020 was the 5th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 361 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Rebekah’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1500Duke Ludovico Sforza conquers Milan.
- 1554A great fire occurs in Eindhoven, Netherlands.
- 1957In a speech given to the United States Congress, President Dwight D. Eisenhower announces the establishment of what will later be called the Eisenhower Doctrine.
- 1974An earthquake in Lima, Peru, kills six people, and damages hundreds of houses.
- 1976Ten Protestant civilians are shot dead by a paramilitary group at Kingsmill in County Armagh, Northern Ireland (part of The Troubles).
- 1976The Khmer Rouge proclaim the Constitution of Democratic Kampuchea.
- 1991Georgian forces enter Tskhinvali, the capital of South Ossetia, Georgia, opening the 1991–1992 South Ossetia War.
- 1993The oil tanker MV Braer runs aground on the coast of the Shetland Islands, spilling 84,700 tons of crude oil.
- 1996Hamas bombmaker Yahya Ayyash is killed by an Israeli-planted booby-trapped cell phone.
- 2008Mikheil Saakashvili wins his second term as President of Georgia in the snap election.
Who were born on January 5?
- 1876Konrad Adenauer, German statesman (d. 1967)
- 1885Humbert Wolfe, Italian-born British poet (d. 1940)
- 1923Sam Phillips, American music producer (d. 2003)
- 1953George Tenet, American civil servant, university professor and 18th Director of Central Intelligence
- 1953Steve Archer, American singer (The Archers)
- 1956Tim Macartney-Snape, Australian mountaineer
- 1981Joel Thomas Zimmerman, Canadian musician
- 1986J. P. Arencibia, American baseball player
- 1986Teppei Koike, Japanese actor and singer
- 1987Kristin Cavallari, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.