January 5: Day of the Week
January 5, 2020 was the 5th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 361 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Dale’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1527Felix Manz, a leader of the Anabaptist congregation in Zurich, Switzerland, is executed by drowning.
- 1912The Prague Party Conference takes place.
- 1925Nellie Tayloe Ross of Wyoming becomes the first female governor in the United States.
- 1940FM radio is demonstrated to the Federal Communications Commission for the first time.
- 1944The Daily Mail becomes the first transoceanic newspaper.
- 1957In a speech given to the United States Congress, President Dwight D. Eisenhower announces the establishment of what will later be called the Eisenhower Doctrine.
- 1974Warmest reliably measured temperature in Antarctica of +59°F (+15°C) recorded at Vanda Station
- 1976The Khmer Rouge proclaim the Constitution of Democratic Kampuchea.
- 1993The oil tanker MV Braer runs aground on the coast of the Shetland Islands, spilling 84,700 tons of crude oil.
- 1993Washington state executes Westley Allan Dodd by hanging (the last judicial hanging in America).
Who were born on January 5?
- 1829Sir Roger Ichborne, British heir (d. c. 1854)
- 1895Elizabeth Cotten, American musician (d. 1987)
- 1906Kathleen Kenyon, English archaeologist (d. 1978)
- 1908George Dolenz, American actor (d. 1963)
- 1917Wieland Wagner, German stage director (d. 1966)
- 1958Nancy Delahunt, Canadian athlete
- 1969Marilyn Manson, American singer
- 1969Paul McGillion, Scottish actor
- 1976Matt Wachter, American bassist (30 Seconds to Mars)
- 1985Diego Vera, Uruguayan footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.