January 5: Day of the Week
January 5, 2020 was the 5th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 361 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters EUQTAISM? Check your answers here: Word finder EUQTAISM. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1500Duke Ludovico Sforza conquers Milan.
- 1781American Revolutionary War: Richmond, Virginia, is burned by British naval forces led by Benedict Arnold.
- 1782American Revolutionary War: French troops begin a siege of a British garrison on Brimstone Hill in Saint Kitts.
- 1909Colombia recognizes the independence of Panama.
- 1918The Free Committee for a German Workers Peace, which would become the Nazi Party, is founded.
- 1940FM radio is demonstrated to the Federal Communications Commission for the first time.
- 1944The Daily Mail becomes the first transoceanic newspaper.
- 1945The Soviet Union recognizes the new pro-Soviet government of Poland.
- 1993The oil tanker MV Braer runs aground on the coast of the Shetland Islands, spilling 84,700 tons of crude oil.
- 2008Mikheil Saakashvili wins his second term as President of Georgia in the snap election.
Who were born on January 5?
- 1592Shah Jahan, Mughal Emperor of India (d. 1666)
- 1874Joseph Erlanger, American physiologist, Nobel laureate (d. 1965)
- 1879Hans Eppinger, Austrian physician (d. 1946)
- 1909Lucienne Bloch, Swiss-born American sculptor, muralist, photographer (d. 1995)
- 1926Hosea Williams, American activist (d. 2000)
- 1945Roger Spottiswoode, Canadian-born film director
- 1948Ted Lange, American actor
- 1969Marilyn Manson, American singer
- 1975Bradley Cooper, American actor
- 1988Pauline, French singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.