January 5: Day of the Week
January 5, 2022 was the 5th day of the year 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 360 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ELVRVLOKUU? Check your answers here: Word solver ELVRVLOKUU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1066Edward the Confessor dies childless, sparking a succession crisis that will eventually lead to the Norman conquest of England.
- 1500Duke Ludovico Sforza conquers Milan.
- 1846The United States House of Representatives votes to stop sharing the Oregon Territory with the United Kingdom.
- 1909Colombia recognizes the independence of Panama.
- 1918The Free Committee for a German Workers Peace, which would become the Nazi Party, is founded.
- 1933Construction of the Golden Gate Bridge begins in San Francisco Bay.
- 1969Members of the Royal Ulster Constabulary damage property and assault occupants in the Bogside in Derry, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom. In response, residents erect barricades and establish Free Derry.
- 1975The Tasman Bridge in Tasmania, Australia, is struck by the bulk ore carrier Lake Illawarra, killing twelve people.
- 1993Washington state executes Westley Allan Dodd by hanging (the last judicial hanging in America).
- 2003Police arrest seven suspects in connection with Wood Green ricin plot.
Who were born on January 5?
- 1880Nikolay Medtner, Russian composer (d. 1951)
- 1904Erica Morini, Austrian violinist (d. 1995)
- 1904Jeane Dixon, American astrologer (d. 1997)
- 1911Jean-Pierre Aumont, French actor (d. 2001)
- 1921Friedrich Dürrenmatt, Swiss writer (d. 1990)
- 1926Hosea Williams, American activist (d. 2000)
- 1930Alfred Masini, American television producer (d. 2010)
- 1942Terenci Moix, Spanish writer (d. 2003)
- 1968Carrie Ann Inaba, American dancer and choreographer
- 1971Mayuko Takata, Japanese actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.