January 5: Day of the Week
January 5, 2018 was the 5th day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 360 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Capricorn horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1066Edward the Confessor dies childless, sparking a succession crisis that will eventually lead to the Norman conquest of England.
- 1900Irish leader John Redmond calls for a revolt against British rule.
- 1909Colombia recognizes the independence of Panama.
- 1913First Balkan War: During the Naval Battle of Lemnos, Greek admiral Pavlos Kountouriotis forces the Turkish fleet to retreat to its base within the Dardanelles, from which it did not venture for the rest of the war.
- 1914The Ford Motor Company announces an eight-hour workday and a minimum wage of $5 for a day’s labor.
- 1918The Free Committee for a German Workers Peace, which would become the Nazi Party, is founded.
- 1925Nellie Tayloe Ross of Wyoming becomes the first female governor in the United States.
- 1933Construction of the Golden Gate Bridge begins in San Francisco Bay.
- 1945The Soviet Union recognizes the new pro-Soviet government of Poland.
- 1969Members of the Royal Ulster Constabulary damage property and assault occupants in the Bogside in Derry, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom. In response, residents erect barricades and establish Free Derry.
Who were born on January 5?
- 1667Antonio Lotti, Italian composer (d. 1740)
- 1864Bob Caruthers, American baseball player (d. 1911)
- 1895Elizabeth Cotten, American musician (d. 1987)
- 1902Stella Gibbons, English novelist (d. 1989)
- 1921Friedrich Dürrenmatt, Swiss writer (d. 1990)
- 1947Mercury Morris, American football player
- 1957Kevin Hastings, Australian rugby league footballer
- 1961Iris DeMent, American songwriter and singer
- 1966Kate Schellenbach, American drummer (Luscious Jackson)
- 1986Deepika Padukone, Indian model and actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.