January 5: Day of the Week
January 5, 2021 was the 5th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 360 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OQOCZCIULWDI? Check your answers here: Words with these letters OQOCZCIULWDI. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1500Duke Ludovico Sforza conquers Milan.
- 1909Colombia recognizes the independence of Panama.
- 1913First Balkan War: During the Naval Battle of Lemnos, Greek admiral Pavlos Kountouriotis forces the Turkish fleet to retreat to its base within the Dardanelles, from which it did not venture for the rest of the war.
- 1933Construction of the Golden Gate Bridge begins in San Francisco Bay.
- 1940FM radio is demonstrated to the Federal Communications Commission for the first time.
- 1969Members of the Royal Ulster Constabulary damage property and assault occupants in the Bogside in Derry, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom. In response, residents erect barricades and establish Free Derry.
- 1974An earthquake in Lima, Peru, kills six people, and damages hundreds of houses.
- 1974Warmest reliably measured temperature in Antarctica of +59°F (+15°C) recorded at Vanda Station
- 1993Washington state executes Westley Allan Dodd by hanging (the last judicial hanging in America).
- 2008Mikheil Saakashvili wins his second term as President of Georgia in the snap election.
Who were born on January 5?
- 1548Francisco Suarez, Spanish theologian (d. 1617)
- 1879Hans Eppinger, Austrian physician (d. 1946)
- 1904Jeane Dixon, American astrologer (d. 1997)
- 1917Wieland Wagner, German stage director (d. 1966)
- 1931Alfred Brendel, Austrian pianist
- 1942Jan Leeming, English television presenter and newsreader
- 1942Terenci Moix, Spanish writer (d. 2003)
- 1968Ricky Paull Goldin, American actor
- 1988Pauline, French singer
- 1991Denis Alibec, Romanian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.