January 5: Day of the Week
January 5, 2021 was the 5th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 360 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters UFWUFOTKPAOT? Check your answers here: Unscramble words UFWUFOTKPAOT. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1066Edward the Confessor dies childless, sparking a succession crisis that will eventually lead to the Norman conquest of England.
- 1759George Washington marries Martha Dandridge Custis.
- 1854The San Francisco steamer sinks, killing 300 people.
- 1909Colombia recognizes the independence of Panama.
- 1911Kappa Alpha Psi, the world’s second oldest and largest black fraternity, is founded at Indiana University.
- 1918The Free Committee for a German Workers Peace, which would become the Nazi Party, is founded.
- 1940FM radio is demonstrated to the Federal Communications Commission for the first time.
- 1975The Tasman Bridge in Tasmania, Australia, is struck by the bulk ore carrier Lake Illawarra, killing twelve people.
- 1976The Khmer Rouge proclaim the Constitution of Democratic Kampuchea.
- 2005Eris, the largest known dwarf planet in the solar system, is discovered by the team of Michael E. Brown, Chad Trujillo, and David L. Rabinowitz using images originally taken on October 21, 2003, at the Palomar Observatory.
Who were born on January 5?
- 1696Giuseppe Galli-Bibiena, Italian architect/painter (d. 1757)
- 1779Stephen Decatur, American naval officer (d. 1820)
- 1914George Reeves, American actor (d. 1959)
- 1917Lucienne Day, British textile designer (d. 2010)
- 1940Yuri Ershov, Russian mathematician
- 1953George Tenet, American civil servant, university professor and 18th Director of Central Intelligence
- 1960Glenn Strömberg, Swedish footballer
- 1968Ricky Paull Goldin, American actor
- 1986J. P. Arencibia, American baseball player
- 1987Kristin Cavallari, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.