January 5: Day of the Week
January 5, 2019 was the 5th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 360 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Richard’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1757Louis XV of France survives an assassination attempt by Robert-François Damiens, the last person to be executed in France by drawing and quartering, the traditional and gruesome form of capital punishment used for regicides.
- 1759George Washington marries Martha Dandridge Custis.
- 1913First Balkan War: During the Naval Battle of Lemnos, Greek admiral Pavlos Kountouriotis forces the Turkish fleet to retreat to its base within the Dardanelles, from which it did not venture for the rest of the war.
- 1969Members of the Royal Ulster Constabulary damage property and assault occupants in the Bogside in Derry, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom. In response, residents erect barricades and establish Free Derry.
- 1971The first One Day International cricket match is held between Australia and England at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
- 1975The Tasman Bridge in Tasmania, Australia, is struck by the bulk ore carrier Lake Illawarra, killing twelve people.
- 1976Ten Protestant civilians are shot dead by a paramilitary group at Kingsmill in County Armagh, Northern Ireland (part of The Troubles).
- 1993The oil tanker MV Braer runs aground on the coast of the Shetland Islands, spilling 84,700 tons of crude oil.
- 1993Washington state executes Westley Allan Dodd by hanging (the last judicial hanging in America).
- 2008Mikheil Saakashvili wins his second term as President of Georgia in the snap election.
Who were born on January 5?
- 1767Jean-Baptiste Say, French economist, originator of Say’s Law (d. 1832)
- 1829Sir Roger Ichborne, British heir (d. c. 1854)
- 1834William John Wills, English explorer (d. 1861)
- 1864Ban Johnson, American baseball executive (d. 1931)
- 1904Jeane Dixon, American astrologer (d. 1997)
- 1910Hugh Brannum, American actor (d. 1987)
- 1922Sir Anthony Synnot, Australian naval officer (d. 2001)
- 1949George Brown, American drummer (Kool & The Gang)
- 1960Glenn Strömberg, Swedish footballer
- 1961Iris DeMent, American songwriter and singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.