January 5: Day of the Week
January 5, 2021 was the 5th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 360 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters YOWSIERO? Check your answers here: Word solver YOWSIERO. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1066Edward the Confessor dies childless, sparking a succession crisis that will eventually lead to the Norman conquest of England.
- 1781American Revolutionary War: Richmond, Virginia, is burned by British naval forces led by Benedict Arnold.
- 1782American Revolutionary War: French troops begin a siege of a British garrison on Brimstone Hill in Saint Kitts.
- 1854The San Francisco steamer sinks, killing 300 people.
- 1896An Austrian newspaper reports that Wilhelm Röntgen has discovered a type of radiation later known as X-rays.
- 1909Colombia recognizes the independence of Panama.
- 1911Kappa Alpha Psi, the world’s second oldest and largest black fraternity, is founded at Indiana University.
- 1969Members of the Royal Ulster Constabulary damage property and assault occupants in the Bogside in Derry, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom. In response, residents erect barricades and establish Free Derry.
- 1971The first One Day International cricket match is held between Australia and England at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
- 2008Mikheil Saakashvili wins his second term as President of Georgia in the snap election.
Who were born on January 5?
- 1834William John Wills, English explorer (d. 1861)
- 1865Julio Garavito Armero, Colombian astronomer (d. 1920)
- 1904Erica Morini, Austrian violinist (d. 1995)
- 1931Alfred Brendel, Austrian pianist
- 1942Jan Leeming, English television presenter and newsreader
- 1950Krzysztof Wielicki, Polish mountaineer
- 1961Iris DeMent, American songwriter and singer
- 1962Danny Jackson, American baseball player
- 1976Matt Wachter, American bassist (30 Seconds to Mars)
- 1983Sean Dockery, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.