January 9: Day of the Week
January 9, 2019 was the 9th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 356 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
January 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1349The Jewish population of Basel, Switzerland, believed by the residents to be the cause of the ongoing Black Death, is rounded up and incinerated.
- 1816Sir Humphry Davy tests the Davy lamp for miners at Hebburn Colliery.
- 1839The French Academy of Sciences announces the Daguerreotype photography process.
- 1857The Fort Tejon earthquake of California occurs, registering an estimated magnitude of 7.9.
- 1861American Civil War: The “Star of the West” incident occurs near Charleston, South Carolina. It is considered by some historians to be the “First Shots of the American Civil War”.
- 1863American Civil War: the Battle of Fort Hindman begins in Arkansas.
- 1880The Great Gale of 1880 devastates parts of Oregon and Washington with high wind and heavy snow.
- 1918Battle of Bear Valley: The last battle of the American Indian Wars.
- 1923Lithuanian residents of the Memel Territory rebelled against the League of Nations decision to leave the area as a mandated region under French control.
- 1941World War II: First flight of the Avro Lancaster.
Who were born on January 9?
- 1901Chic Young, American cartoonist (d. 1973)
- 1939Susannah York, British actress (d. 2011)
- 1940Jimmy Boyd, American actor and singer (d. 2009)
- 1950David Johansen, American singer
- 1961Oliver Goldstick, American screenwriter
- 1965Haddaway, Trinidadian singer
- 1971Scott Thornton, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1977Beth Troutman, American production assistant
- 1978Gennaro Gattuso, Italian footballer
- 1978Maggie Rizer, American model and AIDS activist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.