January 9: Day of the Week
January 9, 2020 was the 9th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 357 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters XYTIJLESAY? Check your answers here: Words with these letters XYTIJLESAY. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1127Invading Jurchen soldiers from the Jin Dynasty besiege and sack Bianjing (Kaifeng), the capital of the Song Dynasty of China, and abduct Emperor Qinzong and others, ending the Northern Song Dynasty.
- 1839The French Academy of Sciences announces the Daguerreotype photography process.
- 1861Mississippi becomes the second state to secede from the Union before the outbreak of the American Civil War.
- 1878Umberto I becomes King of Italy.
- 1880The Great Gale of 1880 devastates parts of Oregon and Washington with high wind and heavy snow.
- 1905According to the Julian Calendar which is used at the time, Russian workers stage a march on the Winter Palace that ends in the massacre by Tsarist troops known as Bloody Sunday, setting off the Russian Revolution of 1905.
- 1909Ernest Shackleton, leading the Nimrod Expedition to the South Pole, plants the British flag 97 nmi from the South Pole, the furthest anyone had ever reached at that time.
- 1921Greco-Turkish War: The First Battle of İnönü, the first battle of the war, began near Eskişehir in Anatolia.
- 1947Elizabeth “Betty” Short, the Black Dahlia, is last seen alive.
- 1965The Mirzapur Cadet College formally opens for academic activities in East Pakistan (now Bangladesh).
Who were born on January 9?
- 1685Tiberius Hemsterhuis, Dutch philologist (d. 1766)
- 1839John Knowles Paine, American composer (d. 1906)
- 1900Maria of Romania, Queen Consort of Yugoslavia (d. 1961)
- 1901Chic Young, American cartoonist (d. 1973)
- 1903Hem Vejakorn, Thai illustrator (d. 1969)
- 1909Anthony Mamo, Malta’s 1st President (d. 2008)
- 1934Bart Starr, American football player
- 1959Otis Nixon, American baseball player
- 1966Jan Johansen, Swedish singer
- 1976Todd Grisham, American professional wrestling interviewer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.