January 9: Day of the Week
January 9, 2020 was the 9th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 357 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Randy’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1127Invading Jurchen soldiers from the Jin Dynasty besiege and sack Bianjing (Kaifeng), the capital of the Song Dynasty of China, and abduct Emperor Qinzong and others, ending the Northern Song Dynasty.
- 1768In London, Philip Astley stages the first modern circus.
- 1793Jean-Pierre Blanchard becomes the first person to fly in a balloon in the United States.
- 1857The Fort Tejon earthquake of California occurs, registering an estimated magnitude of 7.9.
- 1863American Civil War: the Battle of Fort Hindman begins in Arkansas.
- 1918Battle of Bear Valley: The last battle of the American Indian Wars.
- 1941World War II: The Greek Triton (Y-5) sinks the Italian submarine Neghelli in Otranto.
- 1945World War II: The United States invades Luzon in the Philippines.
- 1996First Chechen War: Chechen separatists launch a raid against the helicopter airfield and later a civilian hospital in the city of Kizlyar in the neighbouring Republic of Dagestan, which turns into a massive hostage crisis involving thousands of civilians.
- 2005Elections are held to replace Yasser Arafat as head of the Palestine Liberation Organization. He is succeeded by Rawhi Fattouh.
Who were born on January 9?
- 1589Ivan Gundulić, Croatian poet (d. 1638)
- 1859Carrie Chapman Catt, American suffragist leader (d. 1947)
- 1875Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, American socialite (d. 1942)
- 1909Anthony Mamo, Malta’s 1st President (d. 2008)
- 1922Har Gobind Khorana, Nobel laureate (d. 2011)
- 1929Dorothea Puente, American serial killer
- 1941Gilles Vaillancourt, Quebec politician
- 1950David Johansen, American singer
- 1950Rio Reiser, German singer (d. 1996)
- 1978Chad Ochocinco, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.