January 9: Day of the Week
January 9, 2023 was the 9th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 356 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters SBINDEOZ? Check your answers here: Words with these letters SBINDEOZ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 9 Historical Event(s)
- 475Byzantine Emperor Zeno is forced to flee his capital at Constantinople, and his general, Basiliscus gains control of the empire.
- 1127Invading Jurchen soldiers from the Jin Dynasty besiege and sack Bianjing (Kaifeng), the capital of the Song Dynasty of China, and abduct Emperor Qinzong and others, ending the Northern Song Dynasty.
- 1349The Jewish population of Basel, Switzerland, believed by the residents to be the cause of the ongoing Black Death, is rounded up and incinerated.
- 1793Jean-Pierre Blanchard becomes the first person to fly in a balloon in the United States.
- 1861Mississippi becomes the second state to secede from the Union before the outbreak of the American Civil War.
- 1878Umberto I becomes King of Italy.
- 1914Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc., the first historically black intercollegiate Greek-letter fraternity to be officially recognized at Howard University is founded.
- 1916World War I: The Battle of Gallipoli concludes with an Ottoman Empire victory when the last Allied forces are evacuated from the peninsula.
- 1923Juan de la Cierva makes the first autogyro flight.
- 1945World War II: The United States invades Luzon in the Philippines.
Who were born on January 9?
- 1475Crinitus, Florentine humanist (d. 1507)
- 1589Ivan Gundulić, Croatian poet (d. 1638)
- 1901Chic Young, American cartoonist (d. 1973)
- 1909Patrick Peyton, Irish Roman Catholic prelate (d. 1992)
- 1929Dorothea Puente, American serial killer
- 1938Stuart Woods, American novelist
- 1944Jimmy Page, British musician and producer (Led Zeppelin)
- 1956Kimberly Beck, American actress
- 1961Oliver Goldstick, American screenwriter
- 1968Al Schnier, American rock guitarist (moe.)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.