January 9: Day of the Week
January 9, 2020 was the 9th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 357 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ORJYUOA? Check your answers here: Word search ORJYUOA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1760Afghans defeat Marathas in the Battle of Barari Ghat.
- 1822The Portuguese prince Pedro I of Brazil decides to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portuguese king João VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1861American Civil War: The “Star of the West” incident occurs near Charleston, South Carolina. It is considered by some historians to be the “First Shots of the American Civil War”.
- 1880The Great Gale of 1880 devastates parts of Oregon and Washington with high wind and heavy snow.
- 1894New England Telephone and Telegraph installs the first battery-operated telephone switchboard in Lexington, Massachusetts.
- 1903Hallam Tennyson, 2nd Baron Tennyson, son of the famous poet Alfred Tennyson, becomes the second Governor-General of Australia.
- 1917World War I: the Battle of Rafa occurs near the Egyptian border with Palestine.
- 1965The Mirzapur Cadet College formally opens for academic activities in East Pakistan (now Bangladesh).
- 1991Representatives from the United States and Iraq meet at the Geneva Peace Conference to try and find a peaceful resolution to the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait.
- 2004An inflatable boat carrying illegal Albanian emigrants stalls near the Karaburun Peninsula while on the way to Brindisi, Italy; exposure to the elements kills 28.
Who were born on January 9?
- 1873Hayyim Nahman Bialik, Hebrew poet (d. 1934)
- 1903Hem Vejakorn, Thai illustrator (d. 1969)
- 1912Ralph Tubbs, British architect (d. 1996)
- 1935Brian Harradine, Australian independent Senator
- 1945John Doman, American actor
- 1967Dave Matthews, South African singer and musician
- 1971Scott Thornton, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1972Mat Hoffman, professional BMX rider
- 1975Kim Mathers, Eminem’s ex-wife
- 1982Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.