January 9: Day of the Week
January 9, 2019 was the 9th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 356 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
January 9 Historical Event(s)
- 475Byzantine Emperor Zeno is forced to flee his capital at Constantinople, and his general, Basiliscus gains control of the empire.
- 1788Connecticut becomes the fifth state to be admitted to the United States.
- 1861American Civil War: The “Star of the West” incident occurs near Charleston, South Carolina. It is considered by some historians to be the “First Shots of the American Civil War”.
- 1894New England Telephone and Telegraph installs the first battery-operated telephone switchboard in Lexington, Massachusetts.
- 1905According to the Julian Calendar which is used at the time, Russian workers stage a march on the Winter Palace that ends in the massacre by Tsarist troops known as Bloody Sunday, setting off the Russian Revolution of 1905.
- 1916World War I: The Battle of Gallipoli concludes with an Ottoman Empire victory when the last Allied forces are evacuated from the peninsula.
- 1927A fire at the Laurier Palace movie theatre in Montreal, Quebec, kills 78 children.
- 1947Elizabeth “Betty” Short, the Black Dahlia, is last seen alive.
- 1965The Mirzapur Cadet College formally opens for academic activities in East Pakistan (now Bangladesh).
- 2005Elections are held to replace Yasser Arafat as head of the Palestine Liberation Organization. He is succeeded by Rawhi Fattouh.
Who were born on January 9?
- 1589Ivan Gundulić, Croatian poet (d. 1638)
- 1856Anton Aškerc, Slovenian priest and poet (d. 1912)
- 1898Wally Baker, American supercentenarian (d. 2009)
- 1909J. R. Simplot, American entrepreneur (d. 2008)
- 1938Stuart Woods, American novelist
- 1950Rio Reiser, German singer (d. 1996)
- 1954Philippa Gregory, English historical novelist
- 1975Kiko Calero, Puerto Rican baseball player
- 1976Simon Gosejohann, German comedian
- 1980Sergio García, Spanish golfer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.