January 9: Day of the Week
January 9, 2021 was the 9th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 356 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OWMIAJWASOWS? Check your answers here: Word scramble OWMIAJWASOWS. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 9 Historical Event(s)
- 475Byzantine Emperor Zeno is forced to flee his capital at Constantinople, and his general, Basiliscus gains control of the empire.
- 1349The Jewish population of Basel, Switzerland, believed by the residents to be the cause of the ongoing Black Death, is rounded up and incinerated.
- 1816Sir Humphry Davy tests the Davy lamp for miners at Hebburn Colliery.
- 1861Mississippi becomes the second state to secede from the Union before the outbreak of the American Civil War.
- 1894New England Telephone and Telegraph installs the first battery-operated telephone switchboard in Lexington, Massachusetts.
- 1909Ernest Shackleton, leading the Nimrod Expedition to the South Pole, plants the British flag 97 nmi from the South Pole, the furthest anyone had ever reached at that time.
- 1917World War I: the Battle of Rafa occurs near the Egyptian border with Palestine.
- 1923Lithuanian residents of the Memel Territory rebelled against the League of Nations decision to leave the area as a mandated region under French control.
- 1996First Chechen War: Chechen separatists launch a raid against the helicopter airfield and later a civilian hospital in the city of Kizlyar in the neighbouring Republic of Dagestan, which turns into a massive hostage crisis involving thousands of civilians.
- 2004An inflatable boat carrying illegal Albanian emigrants stalls near the Karaburun Peninsula while on the way to Brindisi, Italy; exposure to the elements kills 28.
Who were born on January 9?
- 1859Carrie Chapman Catt, American suffragist leader (d. 1947)
- 1890Karel Čapek, Czech writer (d. 1938)
- 1900Maria of Romania, Queen Consort of Yugoslavia (d. 1961)
- 1916Vic Mizzy, American orchestra leader (d. 2009)
- 1920Chan Canasta, Polish-British magician (d. 1999)
- 1933Robert Garcia, American politician
- 1961Oliver Goldstick, American screenwriter
- 1982Timmy Bowers, American basketball player
- 1986Amanda Mynhardt, South African netballer
- 1989Chris Sandow, Australian Rugby League player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.