January 9: Day of the Week
January 9, 2020 was the 9th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 357 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Stacey’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1127Invading Jurchen soldiers from the Jin Dynasty besiege and sack Bianjing (Kaifeng), the capital of the Song Dynasty of China, and abduct Emperor Qinzong and others, ending the Northern Song Dynasty.
- 1431Judges’ investigations for the trial of Joan of Arc begin in Rouen, France, the seat of the English occupation government.
- 1760Afghans defeat Marathas in the Battle of Barari Ghat.
- 1806Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson receives a state funeral and is interred in St Paul’s Cathedral.
- 1861Mississippi becomes the second state to secede from the Union before the outbreak of the American Civil War.
- 1880The Great Gale of 1880 devastates parts of Oregon and Washington with high wind and heavy snow.
- 1894New England Telephone and Telegraph installs the first battery-operated telephone switchboard in Lexington, Massachusetts.
- 1903Hallam Tennyson, 2nd Baron Tennyson, son of the famous poet Alfred Tennyson, becomes the second Governor-General of Australia.
- 1996First Chechen War: Chechen separatists launch a raid against the helicopter airfield and later a civilian hospital in the city of Kizlyar in the neighbouring Republic of Dagestan, which turns into a massive hostage crisis involving thousands of civilians.
- 2004An inflatable boat carrying illegal Albanian emigrants stalls near the Karaburun Peninsula while on the way to Brindisi, Italy; exposure to the elements kills 28.
Who were born on January 9?
- 1879John Broadus Watson, American psychologist (d. 1958)
- 1921Lister Sinclair, Canadian broadcaster and playwright (d. 2006)
- 1925Lee Van Cleef, American actor (d. 1989)
- 1935Earl G. Graves, Sr., African-American publisher
- 1944Ian Hornak, American painter, draughtsman and sculptor (d. 2002)
- 1957Bibie, Ghanaian singer
- 1965Muggsy Bogues, American basketball player
- 1967Dave Matthews, South African singer and musician
- 1971Angie Martinez, American rapper and radio talk host
- 1982Timmy Bowers, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.