January 9: Day of the Week
January 9, 2021 was the 9th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 356 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters KTIPEXI? Check your answers here: Word search KTIPEXI. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1806Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson receives a state funeral and is interred in St Paul’s Cathedral.
- 1822The Portuguese prince Pedro I of Brazil decides to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portuguese king João VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1861Mississippi becomes the second state to secede from the Union before the outbreak of the American Civil War.
- 1863American Civil War: the Battle of Fort Hindman begins in Arkansas.
- 1903Hallam Tennyson, 2nd Baron Tennyson, son of the famous poet Alfred Tennyson, becomes the second Governor-General of Australia.
- 1917World War I: the Battle of Rafa occurs near the Egyptian border with Palestine.
- 1921Greco-Turkish War: The First Battle of İnönü, the first battle of the war, began near Eskişehir in Anatolia.
- 1923Juan de la Cierva makes the first autogyro flight.
- 1960President of Egypt Gamal Abdel Nasser opens construction on the Aswan Dam by detonating ten tons of dynamite to demolish twenty tons of granite on the east bank of the Nile.
- 1992The Assembly of the Serb People in Bosnia and Herzegovina proclaims the creation of Republika Srpska, a new state within Yugoslavia.
Who were born on January 9?
- 1881Giovanni Papini, Italian writer (d. 1956)
- 1925Lee Van Cleef, American actor (d. 1989)
- 1938Stuart Woods, American novelist
- 1953Morris Gleitzman, British-Australian children’s author
- 1958Mehmet Ali Ağca, Turkish attempted assassin of Pope John Paul II
- 1958Stephen Neale, British philosopher
- 1968Joey Lauren Adams, American actress
- 1978Mathieu Garon, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1986Jéferson, Brazilian footballer
- 1989Chris Sandow, Australian Rugby League player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.