January 9: Day of the Week
January 9, 2022 was the 9th day of the year 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 356 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OOITHUUBY? Check your answers here: Word scramble OOITHUUBY. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1349The Jewish population of Basel, Switzerland, believed by the residents to be the cause of the ongoing Black Death, is rounded up and incinerated.
- 1760Afghans defeat Marathas in the Battle of Barari Ghat.
- 1839The French Academy of Sciences announces the Daguerreotype photography process.
- 1863American Civil War: the Battle of Fort Hindman begins in Arkansas.
- 1918Battle of Bear Valley: The last battle of the American Indian Wars.
- 1941World War II: First flight of the Avro Lancaster.
- 1941World War II: The Greek Triton (Y-5) sinks the Italian submarine Neghelli in Otranto.
- 1991Representatives from the United States and Iraq meet at the Geneva Peace Conference to try and find a peaceful resolution to the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait.
- 2004An inflatable boat carrying illegal Albanian emigrants stalls near the Karaburun Peninsula while on the way to Brindisi, Italy; exposure to the elements kills 28.
- 2005Elections are held to replace Yasser Arafat as head of the Palestine Liberation Organization. He is succeeded by Rawhi Fattouh.
Who were born on January 9?
- 1848Princess Frederica of Hanover (d. 1926)
- 1881Lascelles Abercrombie, British poet and critic (d. 1938)
- 1909Anthony Mamo, Malta’s 1st President (d. 2008)
- 1909Patrick Peyton, Irish Roman Catholic prelate (d. 1992)
- 1935Earl G. Graves, Sr., African-American publisher
- 1941Gilles Vaillancourt, Quebec politician
- 1943Robert Drewe, Australian author
- 1959Rigoberta Menchú, Nobel Peace Prize laureate
- 1967Gary Teichmann, South African rugby player
- 1987Mao Inoue, Japanese actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.