January 9: Day of the Week
January 9, 2019 was the 9th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 356 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Capricorn horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1768In London, Philip Astley stages the first modern circus.
- 1788Connecticut becomes the fifth state to be admitted to the United States.
- 1857The Fort Tejon earthquake of California occurs, registering an estimated magnitude of 7.9.
- 1861American Civil War: The “Star of the West” incident occurs near Charleston, South Carolina. It is considered by some historians to be the “First Shots of the American Civil War”.
- 1863American Civil War: the Battle of Fort Hindman begins in Arkansas.
- 1878Umberto I becomes King of Italy.
- 1917World War I: the Battle of Rafa occurs near the Egyptian border with Palestine.
- 1918Battle of Bear Valley: The last battle of the American Indian Wars.
- 1964Martyrs’ Day: Several Panamanian youths try to raise the Panamanian flag on the U.S.-controlled Panama Canal Zone, leading to fighting between U.S. military and Panamanian civilians.
- 1992The Assembly of the Serb People in Bosnia and Herzegovina proclaims the creation of Republika Srpska, a new state within Yugoslavia.
Who were born on January 9?
- 1773Cassandra Austen, English watercolorist and sister of Jane Austen (d. 1845)
- 1909Patrick Peyton, Irish Roman Catholic prelate (d. 1992)
- 1915Fernando Lamas, Argentine actor (d. 1982)
- 1929Brian Friel, Irish dramatist
- 1948Bill Cowsill, American singer (The Cowsills) (d. 2006)
- 1952Hugh Bayley, British politician
- 1953Morris Gleitzman, British-Australian children’s author
- 1955J. K. Simmons, American actor
- 1959Rigoberta Menchú, Nobel Peace Prize laureate
- 1971Yusuke Naora, Japanese game art director
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.