January 9: Day of the Week
January 9, 2019 was the 9th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 356 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Elsie’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1127Invading Jurchen soldiers from the Jin Dynasty besiege and sack Bianjing (Kaifeng), the capital of the Song Dynasty of China, and abduct Emperor Qinzong and others, ending the Northern Song Dynasty.
- 1349The Jewish population of Basel, Switzerland, believed by the residents to be the cause of the ongoing Black Death, is rounded up and incinerated.
- 1431Judges’ investigations for the trial of Joan of Arc begin in Rouen, France, the seat of the English occupation government.
- 1839The French Academy of Sciences announces the Daguerreotype photography process.
- 1861American Civil War: The “Star of the West” incident occurs near Charleston, South Carolina. It is considered by some historians to be the “First Shots of the American Civil War”.
- 1903Hallam Tennyson, 2nd Baron Tennyson, son of the famous poet Alfred Tennyson, becomes the second Governor-General of Australia.
- 1909Ernest Shackleton, leading the Nimrod Expedition to the South Pole, plants the British flag 97 nmi from the South Pole, the furthest anyone had ever reached at that time.
- 1927A fire at the Laurier Palace movie theatre in Montreal, Quebec, kills 78 children.
- 1945World War II: The United States invades Luzon in the Philippines.
- 1996First Chechen War: Chechen separatists launch a raid against the helicopter airfield and later a civilian hospital in the city of Kizlyar in the neighbouring Republic of Dagestan, which turns into a massive hostage crisis involving thousands of civilians.
Who were born on January 9?
- 1849John Hartley, English tennis player (d. 1935)
- 1854Jennie Jerome, American socialite and mother of Winston Churchill (d. 1921)
- 1892Eva Bowring, American politician (d. 1985)
- 1896Warwick Braithwaite, New Zealand-born British conductor (d. 1971)
- 1898Gracie Fields, English music hall performer (d. 1979)
- 1943Freddie Starr, English comedian and singer
- 1947Ronnie Landfield, American artist
- 1964Stan Javier, Dominican baseball player
- 1965Darren Bennett, Australian-born American football player
- 1970Lara Fabian, Belgian singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.