July 1: Day of the Week
July 1, 2020 was the 183rd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 183 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters FMJAENERMLJ? Check your answers here: Word solver FMJAENERMLJ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
July 1: This Day in History
The end of this day marks the halfway point of a leap year. It also falls on the same day of the week as New Year’s Day in a leap year.
July 1 Historical Event(s)
- 1890Canada and Bermuda are linked by telegraph cable.
- 1943Tokyo City merges with Tokyo Prefecture and is dissolved. Since then, no city in Japan has had the name “Tokyo” (present-day Tokyo is not officially a city).
- 1958Flooding of Canada’s St. Lawrence Seaway begins.
- 1958The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation links television broadcasting across Canada via microwave.
- 1959Specific values for the international yard, avoirdupois pound and derived units (e.g. inch, mile and ounce) are adopted after agreement between the U.S.A., the United Kingdom and other Commonwealth countries.
- 1959The Party of the African Federation holds its constitutive conference.
- 1968The Nuclear non-proliferation treaty is signed in Washington, D.C., London and Moscow by sixty-two countries.
- 1970President General Yahya Khan abolishes One-Unit of West Pakistan restoring the provinces.
- 1976Portugal grants autonomy to Madeira.
- 1997China resumes sovereignty over the city-state of Hong Kong, ending 156 years of British colonial rule.
Who were born on July 1?
- 1534King Frederick II of Denmark and Norway and Duke of Schleswig (d. 1588)
- 1731Adam Duncan, 1st Viscount Duncan Royal Navy Admiral (d.1804)
- 1788Jean-Victor Poncelet, French mathematician (d. 1867)
- 1863William Grant Stairs, Canadian explorer (d. 1892)
- 1921Seretse Khama, Botswanan politician (d. 1980)
- 1927Alan J. Charig, British palaeontologist (d. 1997)
- 1952Dan Aykroyd, Canadian actor
- 1959Dale Midkiff, American actor
- 1976Plies, American rapper
- 1983Leeteuk (Park Jung Su), Korean singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.