July 19: Day of the Week
July 19, 2023 was the 200th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 165 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters JSWBOOJUO? Check your answers here: Unscramble words JSWBOOJUO. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
July 19 Historical Event(s)
- 64Great Fire of Rome: a fire begins to burn in the merchant area of Rome and soon burns completely out of control. According to a popular, but untrue legend, Nero fiddled as the city burned.
- 1588Anglo-Spanish War: Battle of Gravelines – The Spanish Armada is sighted in the English Channel.
- 1701Representatives of the Iroquois Confederacy sign the Nanfan Treaty, ceding a large territory north of the Ohio River to England.
- 1843Brunel’s steamship the SS Great Britain is launched, becoming the first ocean-going craft with an iron hull or screw propeller and also becoming the largest vessel afloat in the world.
- 1863American Civil War: Morgan’s Raid – At Buffington Island in Ohio, Confederate General John Hunt Morgan’s raid into the north is mostly thwarted when a large group of his men are captured while trying to escape across the Ohio River.
- 1919Following Peace Day celebrations marking the end of World War I, ex-servicemen riot and burn down Luton Town Hall.
- 1940World War II: Army order 112 forms the Intelligence Corps of the British Army.
- 1963Joe Walker flies a North American X-15 to a record altitude of 106,010 metres (347,800 feet) on X-15 Flight 90. Exceeding an altitude of 100 km, this flight qualifies as a human spaceflight under international convention.
- 1983The first three-dimensional reconstruction of a human head in a CT is published.
- 1997The Troubles: The Provisional Irish Republican Army resumes a ceasefire to end their 25-year campaign to end British rule in Northern Ireland.
Who were born on July 19?
- 1670Richard Leveridge, English bass and composer (d. 1758)
- 1894Aleksandr Yakovlevich Khinchin, Russian mathematician (d. 1959)
- 1896Bob Meusel, American baseball player (d. 1977)
- 1940Dennis Cole, American actor (d. 2009)
- 1948Beverly Archer, American actress
- 1952Robert A. Ficano, American politician
- 1964Masahiko Kondo, Japanese singer, actor and racing driver
- 1980Xavier Malisse, Belgian tennis player
- 1984Andrea Libman, Canadian actress and voice actress
- 1984Lewis Price, Welsh footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.