July 20: Day of the Week
July 20, 2023 was the 201st day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 164 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters MEDVEUTOA? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters MEDVEUTOA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
July 20 Historical Event(s)
- 70First Jewish-Roman War: Siege of Jerusalem – Titus, son of emperor Vespasian, storms the Fortress of Antonia north of the Temple Mount. The Roman army is drawn into street fights with the Zealots.
- 1304Wars of Scottish Independence: Fall of Stirling Castle – King Edward I of England takes the stronghold using the War Wolf.
- 1864American Civil War: Battle of Peachtree Creek – Near Atlanta, Georgia, Confederate forces led by General John Bell Hood unsuccessfully attack Union troops under General William T. Sherman.
- 1871British Columbia joins the confederation of Canada.
- 1917World War I: The Corfu Declaration, which leads to the creation of the post-war Kingdom of Yugoslavia, is signed by the Yugoslav Committee and Kingdom of Serbia.
- 1941Soviet leader Joseph Stalin consolidates the Commissariats of Home Affairs and National Security to form the NKVD and names Lavrenti Beria its chief.
- 1949Israel and Syria sign a truce to end their nineteen-month war.
- 1960The Polaris missile is successfully launched from a submarine, the USS George Washington, for the first time.
- 1974Turkish occupation of Cyprus: Forces from Turkey invade Cyprus after a coup d'etat, organised by the dictator of Greece, against president Makarios.
- 1976The American Viking 1 lander successfully lands on Mars.
Who were born on July 20?
- 1838George Otto Trevelyan, British statesman and biographer (d. 1928)
- 1868Miron Cristea, 1st Patriarch of All Romania (d. 1939)
- 1889Lord Reith, British broadcast executive (d. 1971)
- 1922Alan Stephenson Boyd, American politician
- 1932Otto Schily, German politician
- 1947Gerd Binnig, German-born physicist, Nobel laureate
- 1966Agot Isidro, Filipina actress
- 1974Phofo, American musician
- 1981Thorsten Engelmann, German rower
- 1984Matt Gilroy, American Hockey Player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.