July 20: Day of the Week
July 20, 2020 is the 202nd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 164 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Shaun’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
July 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1864American Civil War: Battle of Peachtree Creek – Near Atlanta, Georgia, Confederate forces led by General John Bell Hood unsuccessfully attack Union troops under General William T. Sherman.
- 1866Austro-Prussian War: Battle of Lissa – The Austrian Navy , led by Admiral Wilhelm von Tegetthoff, defeats the Italian Navy near the island of Vis in the Adriatic Sea.
- 1885The Football Association legalizes professionalism in football under pressure from the British Football Association.
- 1903The Ford Motor Company ships its first car.
- 1917World War I: The Corfu Declaration, which leads to the creation of the post-war Kingdom of Yugoslavia, is signed by the Yugoslav Committee and Kingdom of Serbia.
- 19341934 West Coast waterfront strike: In Seattle, police fire tear gas on and club 2,000 striking longshoremen. The governor of Oregon calls out the National Guard to break a strike on the Portland docks.
- 1936The Montreux Convention is signed in Switzerland, authorizing Turkey to fortify the Dardanelles and Bosphorus but guaranteeing free passage to ships of all nations in peacetime.
- 1940California opens its first freeway, the Arroyo Seco Parkway.
- 1974Turkish occupation of Cyprus: Forces from Turkey invade Cyprus after a coup d'etat, organised by the dictator of Greece, against president Makarios.
- 1985The government of Aruba passes legislation to secede from the Netherlands Antilles.
Who were born on July 20?
- 1919Sir Edmund Hillary, New Zealand mountaineer and explorer (d. 2008)
- 1923Stanisław Albinowski, Polish economist and journalist (d. 2005)
- 1933Buddy Knox, American singer and songwriter (d. 1999)
- 1942Pete Hamilton, American race car driver
- 1945Johnny Loughrey, Irish singer (d. 2005)
- 1947Gerd Binnig, German-born physicist, Nobel laureate
- 1968Carlos Saldanha, Brazilian director
- 1974Phofo, American musician
- 1988Stephen Strasburg, American baseball player
- 1989Witwisit Hirunwongkul, Thai actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.