July 20: Day of the Week
July 20, 2020 was the 202nd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 164 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters DVEUFODBT? Check your answers here: Word solver DVEUFODBT. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
July 20 Historical Event(s)
- 70First Jewish-Roman War: Siege of Jerusalem – Titus, son of emperor Vespasian, storms the Fortress of Antonia north of the Temple Mount. The Roman army is drawn into street fights with the Zealots.
- 1304Wars of Scottish Independence: Fall of Stirling Castle – King Edward I of England takes the stronghold using the War Wolf.
- 1402Ottoman-Timurid Wars: Battle of Ankara – Timur, ruler of Timurid Empire, defeats forces of the Ottoman Empire sultan Bayezid I.
- 1864American Civil War: Battle of Peachtree Creek – Near Atlanta, Georgia, Confederate forces led by General John Bell Hood unsuccessfully attack Union troops under General William T. Sherman.
- 1885The Football Association legalizes professionalism in football under pressure from the British Football Association.
- 19341934 West Coast waterfront strike: In Seattle, police fire tear gas on and club 2,000 striking longshoremen. The governor of Oregon calls out the National Guard to break a strike on the Portland docks.
- 1949Israel and Syria sign a truce to end their nineteen-month war.
- 1951King Abdullah I of Jordan is assassinated by a Palestinian while attending Friday prayers in Jerusalem.
- 1964Vietnam War: Viet Cong forces attack the capital of Dinh Tuong Province, Cai Be, killing 11 South Vietnamese military personnel and 40 civilians (30 of which are children).
- 1974Turkish occupation of Cyprus: Forces from Turkey invade Cyprus after a coup d'etat, organised by the dictator of Greece, against president Makarios.
Who were born on July 20?
- 1757Garsevan Chavchavadze, Georgian diplomat and politician (d. 1811)
- 1922Alan Stephenson Boyd, American politician
- 1925Frantz Fanon, West Indian psychiatrist and writer (d. 1961)
- 1928Peter Ind, British jazz double bass player
- 1934Doug Padgett, English cricketer
- 1937Ken Ogata, Japanese actor (d. 2008)
- 1945Bo Rein, American football coach (d. 1980)
- 1959Radney Foster, Texas country music singer/songwriter
- 1973Peter Forsberg, Swedish ice hockey player
- 1980Mike Kennerty, American guitarist (The All-American Rejects)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.