July 21: Day of the Week
July 21, 2019 was the 202nd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 163 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Kristina’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
July 21 Historical Event(s)
- 356 BCThe Temple of Artemis in Ephesus, one of the Seven Wonders of the World, is destroyed by arson.
- 230Pope Pontian succeeds Urban I as the eighteenth pope.
- 1403Battle of Shrewsbury: King Henry IV of England defeats rebels to the north of the county town of Shropshire, England.
- 1774Russo-Turkish War, 1768-1774: Russia and the Ottoman Empire sign the Treaty of Kuchuk-Kainarji ending the war.
- 1861American Civil War: First Battle of Bull Run – at Manassas Junction, Virginia, the first major battle of the war begins and ends in a victory for the Confederate army.
- 1877After rioting by Baltimore and Ohio Railroad workers and the deaths of nine rail workers at the hands of the Maryland militia, workers in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania stage a sympathy strike that is met with an assault by the state militia.
- 1944World War II: Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg and fellow conspirators are executed in Berlin, Germany for the July 20 plot to assassinate Adolf Hitler.
- 1970After 11 years of construction, the Aswan High Dam in Egypt is completed.
- 2001At the conclusion of a fireworks display on Okura Beach in Akashi, Hyōgo, Japan, 11 people are killed and more than 120 are injured when a pedestrian footbridge connecting the beach to JR Asagiri railway station becomes overcrowded and people leaving the event fall down in a domino effect.
- 2005Four terrorist bombings, occurring exactly two weeks after the similar July 7 bombings, target London’s public transportation system. All four bombs fail to detonate and all four suspected suicide bombers are captured and later convicted and imprisoned for long terms.
Who were born on July 21?
- 1816Paul Reuter, German-born British journalist (d. 1899)
- 1939John Negroponte, 1st United States Director of National Intelligence
- 1943Edward Herrmann, American actor
- 1949Hirini Melbourne, New Zealand musician and composer
- 1955Béla Tarr, Hungarian film director
- 1956Michael Connelly, American author
- 1964Ross Kemp, British actor
- 1966Arija Bareikis, American actress
- 1979Tamika Catchings, American basketball player
- 1989Jamie Waylett, English actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.