July 22: Day of the Week
July 22, 2021 was the 203rd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 162 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters LEEAUCMO? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters LEEAUCMO. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
July 22 Historical Event(s)
- 838Battle of Anzen: the Byzantine emperor Theophilos suffers a heavy defeat by the Abbasids.
- 1484Battle of Lochmaben Fair – A 500-man raiding party led by Alexander Stewart, Duke of Albany and James Douglas, 9th Earl of Douglas are defeated by Scots forces loyal to Albany’s brother James III of Scotland; Douglas is captured.
- 1587Colony of Roanoke: a second group of English settlers arrives on Roanoke Island off North Carolina to re-establish the deserted colony.
- 1706The Acts of Union 1707 are agreed upon by commissioners from the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland, which, when passed by each countries’ Parliaments, lead to the creation of the Kingdom of Great Britain.
- 1894The first ever motorized racing event is held in France between the cities of Paris and Rouen. The race is won by Comte Jules-Albert de Dion.
- 1934Outside Chicago’s Biograph Theater, “Public Enemy No. 1” John Dillinger is mortally wounded by FBI agents.
- 1937New Deal: the United States Senate votes down President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s proposal to add more justices to the Supreme Court of the United States.
- 1942Holocaust: the systematic deportation of Jews from the Warsaw Ghetto begins.
- 1946King David Hotel bombing: a Zionist underground organisation, the Irgun, bombs the King David Hotel in Jerusalem, site of the civil administration and military headquarters for Mandate Palestine, resulting in 91 deaths.
- 1997The second Blue Water Bridge opens between Port Huron, Michigan and Sarnia, Ontario.
Who were born on July 22?
- 1210Joan of England, Queen of Scots, wife of Alexander II of Scotland (d. 1238)
- 1478King Philip I of Castile (d. 1506)
- 1942Peter Habeler, Austrian mountaineer
- 1943Bobby Sherman, American singer and actor
- 1944Rick Davies, British keyboardist (Supertramp)
- 1949Lasse Virén, Finnish long distance runner
- 1969Despina Vandi, Greek singer
- 1978A. J. Cook, Canadian actress
- 1978Dennis Rommedahl, Danish footballer
- 1988Paul Coutts, Scottish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.