July 22: Day of the Week
July 22, 2021 is the 203rd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 162 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ACOUXDITPLE? Check your answers here: Word scramble ACOUXDITPLE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
July 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1099First Crusade: Godfrey of Bouillon is elected the first Defender of the Holy Sepulchre of The Kingdom of Jerusalem.
- 1456Ottoman Wars in Europe: Siege of Belgrade – John Hunyadi, Regent of the Kingdom of Hungary, defeats Mehmet II of the Ottoman Empire
- 1587Colony of Roanoke: a second group of English settlers arrives on Roanoke Island off North Carolina to re-establish the deserted colony.
- 1686Albany, New York is formally chartered as a municipality by Governor Thomas Dongan.
- 1864American Civil War: Battle of Atlanta – outside Atlanta, Georgia, Confederate General John Bell Hood leads an unsuccessful attack on Union troops under General William T. Sherman on Bald Hill.
- 1934Outside Chicago’s Biograph Theater, “Public Enemy No. 1” John Dillinger is mortally wounded by FBI agents.
- 1942The United States government begins compulsory civilian gasoline rationing due to the wartime demands.
- 1944The Polish Committee of National Liberation publishes its manifesto, starting the period of Communist rule in Poland
- 1962Mariner program: Mariner 1 spacecraft flies erratically several minutes after launch and has to be destroyed.
- 1993Great Flood of 1993: levees near Kaskaskia, Illinois rupture, forcing the entire town to evacuate by barges operated by the Army Corps of Engineers.
Who were born on July 22?
- 1559Lawrence of Brindisi, Italian monk (d. 1619)
- 1888Selman Waksman, Ukrainian-born American biochemist, Nobel laureate (d. 1973)
- 1908Amy Vanderbilt, American etiquette authority (d. 1974)
- 1934Louise Fletcher, American actress
- 1942Peter Habeler, Austrian mountaineer
- 1946Mireille Mathieu, French singer
- 1972Seth Fisher, American comic book artist and penciller (d. 2006)
- 1973Ronald Ray Howard, American murderer (d. 2005)
- 1984Stewart Downing, English footballer
- 1988Jeremy Schilling, Jewish-American radio personality
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.