July 23: Day of the Week
July 23, 2023 was the 204th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 161 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters VTZAOGQAYHIR? Check your answers here: Word solver VTZAOGQAYHIR. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
July 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1632Three hundred colonists bound for New France depart from Dieppe, France.
- 1677Scanian War: Denmark–Norway captures the harbor town of Marstrand from Sweden.
- 1829In the United States, William Austin Burt patents the typographer, a precursor to the typewriter.
- 1840The Province of Canada is created by the Act of Union.
- 1942World War II: The German offensives Operation Edelweiss and Operation Braunschweig begin.
- 1961The Sandinista National Liberation Front is founded in Nicaragua.
- 1986In London, Prince Andrew, Duke of York marries Sarah Ferguson at Westminster Abbey.
- 1992A Vatican commission, led by Joseph Ratzinger, establishes that it is necessary to limit rights of homosexual people and non-married couples.
- 1995Comet Hale-Bopp is discovered; it will become visible to the naked eye nearly a year later.
- 1999Crown Prince Mohammed Ben Al-Hassan is crowned King Mohammed VI of Morocco on the death of his father.
Who were born on July 23?
- 1856Bal Gangadhar Tilak, Indian nationalist (d. 1920)
- 1923Luis Aloma, Cuban baseball player (d. 1997)
- 1938Bert Newton, Australian actor and television show host
- 1948John Hall, American politician and songwriter
- 1959Nancy Savoca, American filmmaker
- 1971Alison Krauss, American singer and fiddler
- 1973Andrea Scanavacca, Italian rugby player
- 1977Scott Clemmensen, American ice hockey player
- 1985Ólafur Hannesson, Icelandic television personality
- 1985Luis Ángel Landín, Mexican footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.