July 23: Day of the Week
July 23, 2021 is the 204th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 161 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Julio’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
July 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1840The Province of Canada is created by the Act of Union.
- 1927The first station of the Indian Broadcasting Company goes on the air in Bombay.
- 1942Bulgarian poet and Communist leader Nikola Vaptsarov is executed by firing squad.
- 1942World War II: The German offensives Operation Edelweiss and Operation Braunschweig begin.
- 1962Telstar relays the first publicly transmitted, live trans-Atlantic television program, featuring Walter Cronkite.
- 1968Glenville Shootout: in Cleveland, Ohio, a violent shootout between a Black Militant organization led by Ahmed Evans and the Cleveland Police Department occurs. During the shootout, a riot begins and lasts for five days.
- 1982The International Whaling Commission decides to end commercial whaling by 1985-86.
- 1983The Sri Lankan Civil War begins with the killing of 13 Sri Lanka Army soldiers by the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam Terrorist group. In the subsequent riots of Black July, about 1,000 Tamils are slaughtered, some 400,000 Tamils flee to neighbouring Tamil Nadu, India and many find refuge in Europe and Canada.
- 1992A Vatican commission, led by Joseph Ratzinger, establishes that it is necessary to limit rights of homosexual people and non-married couples.
- 1997Digital Equipment Company files antitrust charges against chipmaker Intel.
Who were born on July 23?
- 1864Apolinario Mabini, Filipino political theoretician (d. 1903)
- 1884Emil Jannings, Swiss actor (d. 1950)
- 1886Salvador de Madariaga, Spanish diplomat (d. 1978)
- 1923Luis Aloma, Cuban baseball player (d. 1997)
- 1933Benedict Groeschel, American Roman Catholic priest
- 1961Martin Gore, English musician and songwriter (Depeche Mode)
- 1964Uwe Barth, German politician
- 1969David Kaufman American voice-over artist and character actor
- 1971Christopher Lee, Singaporean actor and model
- 1986Natalie Tran, Vietnamese-Australian YouTube video blogger
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.