July 23: Day of the Week
July 23, 2020 was the 205th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 161 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters EUOLUPPMWJG? Check your answers here: Word scramble EUOLUPPMWJG. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
July 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1632Three hundred colonists bound for New France depart from Dieppe, France.
- 1677Scanian War: Denmark–Norway captures the harbor town of Marstrand from Sweden.
- 1793Prussia re-conquers Mainz from France.
- 1821While Mora Rebellion continuing, Greeks captured Monemvasia Castle and massacred nearly 3000 Turkish inhabitants.
- 1942Bulgarian poet and Communist leader Nikola Vaptsarov is executed by firing squad.
- 1952The European Coal and Steel community is established.
- 1962The International Agreement on the Neutrality of Laos is signed.
- 1968The only successful hijacking of an El Al aircraft takes place when a Boeing 707 carrying 10 crew and 38 passengers is taken over by three members of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine. The aircraft was en route from Rome, Italy, to Lod, Israel.
- 1970Qaboos ibn Sa’id becomes Sultan of Oman after overthrowing his father, Sa’id ibn Taimur initiating massive reforms ;modernisation programs and end to a decade long civil war.
- 1983The Sri Lankan Civil War begins with the killing of 13 Sri Lanka Army soldiers by the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam Terrorist group. In the subsequent riots of Black July, about 1,000 Tamils are slaughtered, some 400,000 Tamils flee to neighbouring Tamil Nadu, India and many find refuge in Europe and Canada.
Who were born on July 23?
- 1838Edouard Judas Colonne, French violinist (d. 1910)
- 1886Walter H. Schottky, German physicist (d. 1976)
- 1888Raymond Chandler, American novelist (d. 1959)
- 1898Jacob Marschak, American economist (d. 1977)
- 1918Bueno de Mesquita, Dutch comedian and actor (d. 2005)
- 1928Leon Fleisher, American pianist
- 1940Don Imus, American talk radio host
- 1941Richie Evans, American NASCAR driver (d. 1985)
- 1950Blair Thornton, Canadian guitarist (Bachman–Turner Overdrive)
- 1961Martin Gore, English musician and songwriter (Depeche Mode)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.