July 24: Day of the Week
July 24, 2020 is the 206th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 160 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Gary’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
July 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1148Louis VII of France lays siege to Damascus during the Second Crusade.
- 1715A Spanish treasure fleet of 10 ships under Admiral Ubilla leaves Havana, Cuba for Spain. Seven days later, 9 of them sink in a storm off the coast of Florida. A few centuries later, treasure is salvaged from these wrecks.
- 1823Slavery is abolished in Chile.
- 1915The passenger ship S.S. Eastland capsizes while tied to a dock in the Chicago River. A total of 844 passengers and crew are killed in the largest loss of life disaster from a single shipwreck on the Great Lakes.
- 1931A fire at a home for the elderly in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania kills 48 people.
- 1937Alabama drops rape charges against the so-called “Scottsboro Boys”.
- 1966Michael Pelkey makes the first BASE jump from El Capitan along with Brian Schubert. Both came out with broken bones. BASE jumping has now been banned from El Cap.
- 1977End of a four day long Libyan-Egyptian War.
- 1982Heavy rain causes a mudslide that destroys a bridge at Nagasaki, Japan, killing 299.
- 2001Bandaranaike Airport attack is carried out by 14 Tamil Tiger commandos, all died in this attack. They destroyed 11 Aircraft (mostly military) and damaged 15, there are no civilian casualties. This incident slowed down Sri Lankan economy.
Who were born on July 24?
- 1826Ivan Bloch, Polish military theorist and peace activist (d. 1902)
- 1916John D. MacDonald, American novelist, (d. 1986)
- 1917Jack Moroney, Australian cricketer (d. 1999)
- 1919Ferdinand Kübler, Swiss cyclist
- 1946Leo Anthony Gallagher, American comedian
- 1950Marc Jampole, American poet
- 1957Larry Gott, English musician
- 1957Pam Tillis, American singer
- 1969Jennifer Lopez, American actress and singer
- 1979José Valverde, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.