July 24: Day of the Week
July 24, 2019 is the 205th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 160 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
July 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1715A Spanish treasure fleet of 10 ships under Admiral Ubilla leaves Havana, Cuba for Spain. Seven days later, 9 of them sink in a storm off the coast of Florida. A few centuries later, treasure is salvaged from these wrecks.
- 1823Slavery is abolished in Chile.
- 1866Reconstruction: Tennessee becomes the first U.S. State to be readmitted to the Union following the American Civil War.
- 1911Hiram Bingham III re-discovers Machu Picchu, “the Lost City of the Incas”.
- 1915The passenger ship S.S. Eastland capsizes while tied to a dock in the Chicago River. A total of 844 passengers and crew are killed in the largest loss of life disaster from a single shipwreck on the Great Lakes.
- 1924Archeologist Themistoklis Sofoulis becomes Prime Minister of Greece.
- 1931A fire at a home for the elderly in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania kills 48 people.
- 1959At the opening of the American National Exhibition in Moscow, U.S. Vice President Richard Nixon and Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev have a “Kitchen Debate”.
- 1966Michael Pelkey makes the first BASE jump from El Capitan along with Brian Schubert. Both came out with broken bones. BASE jumping has now been banned from El Cap.
- 1967During an official state visit to Canada, French President Charles de Gaulle declares to a crowd of over 100,000 in Montreal: Vive le Québec libre! (“Long live free Quebec!”). The statement, interpreted as support for Quebec independence, delighted many Quebecers but angered the Canadian government and many English Canadians.
Who were born on July 24?
- 1851Friedrich Schottky, German mathematician (d. 1935)
- 1880Ernest Bloch, Swiss composer (d. 1959)
- 1916Bob Eberly, singer with the Jimmy Dorsey Band and Helen O'Connell, (d. 1981)
- 1922Madeleine Ferron, French Canadian writer (d. 2010)
- 1930Keshubhai Patel, Former Chief Minister of the Western State of Gujarat in India
- 1945Azim Premji, Indian businessman
- 1983Daniele De Rossi, Italian footballer
- 1985Patrice Bergeron, Canadian hockey player
- 1986Megan Park, Canadian actress
- 1987Cafu, Brazilian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.