July 24: Day of the Week
July 24, 2019 was the 205th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 160 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Roxanne’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
July 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1132Battle of Nocera between Ranulf II of Alife and Roger II of Sicily.
- 1487Citizens of Leeuwarden, Netherlands strike against ban on foreign beer.
- 1567Mary, Queen of Scots, is forced to abdicate and replaced by her 1-year-old son James VI.
- 1715A Spanish treasure fleet of 10 ships under Admiral Ubilla leaves Havana, Cuba for Spain. Seven days later, 9 of them sink in a storm off the coast of Florida. A few centuries later, treasure is salvaged from these wrecks.
- 1823Slavery is abolished in Chile.
- 1911Hiram Bingham III re-discovers Machu Picchu, “the Lost City of the Incas”.
- 1935The dust bowl heat wave reaches its peak, sending temperatures to 109°F (44°C) in Chicago and 104°F (40°C) in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- 1950Cape Canaveral Air Force Station begins operations with the launch of a Bumper rocket.
- 1969Apollo program: Apollo 11 splashes down safely in the Pacific Ocean.
- 1980The Quietly Confident Quartet of Australia wins the Men’s 4 x 100 metre medley relay at the Moscow Olympics, the only time the United States has not won the event at Olympic level.
Who were born on July 24?
- 1860Alfons Mucha, Czech artist (d. 1939)
- 1917Robert Farnon, Canadian conductor, composer, and arranger (d. 2005)
- 1918Ruggiero Ricci, American violinist
- 1924Wilfred Josephs, English composer (d. 1997)
- 1931Ermanno Olmi, Italian director
- 1950Marc Jampole, American poet
- 1962Johnny O'Connell, American race car driver
- 1969Jennifer Lopez, American actress and singer
- 1977Mehdi Mahdavikia, Iranian football player
- 1983Daniele De Rossi, Italian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.