July 24: Day of the Week
July 24, 2023 was the 205th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 160 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters AYEDNBIAOL? Check your answers here: Unscramble words AYEDNBIAOL. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
July 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1132Battle of Nocera between Ranulf II of Alife and Roger II of Sicily.
- 1411Battle of Harlaw, one of the bloodiest battles in Scotland, takes place.
- 1715A Spanish treasure fleet of 10 ships under Admiral Ubilla leaves Havana, Cuba for Spain. Seven days later, 9 of them sink in a storm off the coast of Florida. A few centuries later, treasure is salvaged from these wrecks.
- 1864American Civil War: Battle of Kernstown – Confederate General Jubal Anderson Early defeats Union troops led by General George Crook in an effort to keep them out of the Shenandoah Valley.
- 1910The Ottoman Empire captures the city of Shkodër, putting down the Albanian Revolt of 1910.
- 1924Archeologist Themistoklis Sofoulis becomes Prime Minister of Greece.
- 1931A fire at a home for the elderly in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania kills 48 people.
- 1959At the opening of the American National Exhibition in Moscow, U.S. Vice President Richard Nixon and Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev have a “Kitchen Debate”.
- 1983George Brett batting for the Kansas City Royals against the New York Yankees, has a game-winning home run nullified in the “Pine Tar Incident”.
- 2009The MV Arctic Sea, reportedly carrying a cargo of timber, is allegedly hijacked in the North Sea by pirates, but much speculation remains as to the actual cargo and events.
Who were born on July 24?
- 1786Joseph Nicollet, French mathematician and explorer (d. 1843)
- 1937Manoj Kumar, Indian actor
- 1945Hugh Ross, Canadian scientist and creationist advocate
- 1957Pam Tillis, American singer
- 1969Rick Fox, Bahamian basketball player
- 1971John Partridge, English singer
- 1975Dafydd James, Welsh rugby player
- 1975Jamie Langenbrunner, American ice hockey player
- 1977Danny Dyer, English actor and television presenter
- 1985Teagan Presley, American pornographic actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.