July 24: Day of the Week
July 24, 2020 was the 206th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 160 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Alfredo’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
July 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1534French explorer Jacques Cartier plants a cross on the Gaspé Peninsula and takes possession of the territory in the name of Francis I of France.
- 1567Mary, Queen of Scots, is forced to abdicate and replaced by her 1-year-old son James VI.
- 1715A Spanish treasure fleet of 10 ships under Admiral Ubilla leaves Havana, Cuba for Spain. Seven days later, 9 of them sink in a storm off the coast of Florida. A few centuries later, treasure is salvaged from these wrecks.
- 1814War of 1812: General Phineas Riall advances toward the Niagara River to halt Jacob Brown’s American invaders.
- 1911Hiram Bingham III re-discovers Machu Picchu, “the Lost City of the Incas”.
- 1974Watergate scandal: the United States Supreme Court unanimously ruled that President Richard Nixon did not have the authority to withhold subpoenaed White House tapes and they order him to surrender the tapes to the Watergate special prosecutor.
- 1982Heavy rain causes a mudslide that destroys a bridge at Nagasaki, Japan, killing 299.
- 1998Russell Eugene Weston Jr. bursts into the United States Capitol and opens fire killing two police officers. He is later ruled to be incompetent to stand trial.
- 2001Bandaranaike Airport attack is carried out by 14 Tamil Tiger commandos, all died in this attack. They destroyed 11 Aircraft (mostly military) and damaged 15, there are no civilian casualties. This incident slowed down Sri Lankan economy.
- 2005Lance Armstrong wins his seventh consecutive Tour de France.
Who were born on July 24?
- 1821William Poole, American racketeer and politician (d. 1855)
- 1919Ferdinand Kübler, Swiss cyclist
- 1922Madeleine Ferron, French Canadian writer (d. 2010)
- 1949Michael Richards, American comedian
- 1968Kristin Chenoweth, American singer and actress
- 1979Anne-Gaëlle Sidot, French tennis player
- 1979Rose Byrne, Australian actress
- 1980Gauge, American pornographic actress
- 1987Mara Wilson, American actress
- 1987Nathan Gerbe, American hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.