July 24: Day of the Week
July 24, 2020 was the 206th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 160 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters MUUISYIPNX? Check your answers here: Word search MUUISYIPNX. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
July 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1567Mary, Queen of Scots, is forced to abdicate and replaced by her 1-year-old son James VI.
- 1910The Ottoman Empire captures the city of Shkodër, putting down the Albanian Revolt of 1910.
- 1915The passenger ship S.S. Eastland capsizes while tied to a dock in the Chicago River. A total of 844 passengers and crew are killed in the largest loss of life disaster from a single shipwreck on the Great Lakes.
- 1922the draft of The British Mandate of Palestine was formally confirmed by the Council of the League of Nations; and which came into effect on 26 September 1923.
- 1929The Kellogg-Briand Pact, renouncing war as an instrument of foreign policy, goes into effect (it is first signed in Paris on August 27, 1928 by most leading world powers).
- 1972Bugojno group is caught by Yugoslav security forces.
- 1974Constantine Karamanlis arrives in Greece following the collapse of the Greek military junta, beginning Greece’s metapolitefsi era.
- 1974Watergate scandal: the United States Supreme Court unanimously ruled that President Richard Nixon did not have the authority to withhold subpoenaed White House tapes and they order him to surrender the tapes to the Watergate special prosecutor.
- 2001Simeon Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, the last Tsar of Bulgaria when he was a child, is sworn in as Prime Minister of Bulgaria, becoming the first monarch in history to regain political power through democratic election to a different office.
- 2009The MV Arctic Sea, reportedly carrying a cargo of timber, is allegedly hijacked in the North Sea by pirates, but much speculation remains as to the actual cargo and events.
Who were born on July 24?
- 1725John Newton, English cleric and hymnist (d. 1807)
- 1803Adolphe Charles Adam, French composer (d. 1856)
- 1880Kristian Hellström, Swedish athlete (d. 1946)
- 1904Richard B. Morris, American constitutional historian (d. 1989)
- 1908Cootie Williams, American trumpeter (d. 1985)
- 1938John Sparling, New Zealand cricketer
- 1950Arliss Ryan, American author
- 1970Elli Kokkinou, Greek singer
- 1987Mara Wilson, American actress
- 1989Kim Tae-Hwan, South Korean footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.