July 24: Day of the Week
July 24, 2018 was the 205th day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 160 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Leo horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
July 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1701Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac founds the trading post at Fort Pontchartrain, which later becomes the city of Detroit, Michigan.
- 1847After 17 months of travel, Brigham Young leads 148 Mormon pioneers into Salt Lake Valley, resulting in the establishment of Salt Lake City. Celebrations of this event include the Pioneer Day Utah state holiday and the Days of '47 Parade.
- 1911Hiram Bingham III re-discovers Machu Picchu, “the Lost City of the Incas”.
- 1915The passenger ship S.S. Eastland capsizes while tied to a dock in the Chicago River. A total of 844 passengers and crew are killed in the largest loss of life disaster from a single shipwreck on the Great Lakes.
- 1937Alabama drops rape charges against the so-called “Scottsboro Boys”.
- 1974Watergate scandal: the United States Supreme Court unanimously ruled that President Richard Nixon did not have the authority to withhold subpoenaed White House tapes and they order him to surrender the tapes to the Watergate special prosecutor.
- 1977End of a four day long Libyan-Egyptian War.
- 1980The Quietly Confident Quartet of Australia wins the Men’s 4 x 100 metre medley relay at the Moscow Olympics, the only time the United States has not won the event at Olympic level.
- 1998Russell Eugene Weston Jr. bursts into the United States Capitol and opens fire killing two police officers. He is later ruled to be incompetent to stand trial.
- 2002Democrat James Traficant is expelled from the United States House of Representatives on a vote of 420 to 1.
Who were born on July 24?
- 1561Maria of Palatinate-Simmern, Duchess of Södermanland (d. 1589)
- 1851Friedrich Schottky, German mathematician (d. 1935)
- 1936Mark Goddard, American actor
- 1942Heinz Burt, bassist and singer (d. 2000)
- 1944Jim Armstrong (guitarist), bassist and singer (d. 2000)
- 1964John Rosengren, American writer and author
- 1971John Partridge, English singer
- 1972Kaiō Hiroyuki, Japanese sumo wrestler
- 1981Summer Glau, American actress
- 1984Dhani Lennevald, Swedish singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.