July 29: Day of the Week
July 29, 2021 is the 210th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 155 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters JEZSOQGDGOPO? Check your answers here: Word scramble JEZSOQGDGOPO. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
July 29 Historical Event(s)
- 238The Praetorian Guard stormed the palace and capture Pupienus and Balbinus. They are dragged through the streets of Rome and executed. On the same day Gordian III, age 13, is proclaimed emperor.
- 904Sack of Thessalonica: Saracen raiders under Leo of Tripoli sack Thessalonica, the Byzantine Empire’s second-largest city, after a short siege, and plunder it for a week.
- 1014Byzantine-Bulgarian Wars: Battle of Kleidion – Byzantine emperor Basil II inflicts a decisive defeat on the Bulgarian army, and his subsequent treatment of 15,000 prisoners reportedly causes Tsar Samuil of Bulgaria to die of a heart attack less than three months later, on October 6.
- 1030Ladejarl-Fairhair succession wars: Battle of Stiklestad – King Olaf II fights and dies trying to regain his Norwegian throne from the Danes.
- 1588Anglo-Spanish War: Battle of Gravelines – English naval forces under the command of Lord Charles Howard and Sir Francis Drake defeat the Spanish Armada off the coast of Gravelines, France.
- 1851Annibale de Gasparis discovers asteroid 15 Eunomia.
- 1932Great Depression: in Washington, D.C., troops disperse the last of the “Bonus Army” of World War I veterans.
- 1945The BBC Light Programme radio station is launched for mainstream light entertainment and music.
- 1948Olympic Games: The Games of the XIV Olympiad – after a hiatus of 12 years caused by World War II, the first Summer Olympics to be held since the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin, open in London.
- 1967Vietnam War: off the coast of North Vietnam the USS Forrestal catches on fire in the worst U.S. naval disaster since World War II, killing 134.
Who were born on July 29?
- 1817Ivan Aivazovsky, Armenian-Russian painter (d. 1900)
- 1898Isidor Isaac Rabi, American physicist, Nobel Prize Laureate (d. 1988)
- 1905Clara Bow, American actress (d. 1965)
- 1906Diana Vreeland, French-born American fashion editor (d. 1989)
- 1913Erich Priebke, German Nazi war criminal
- 1942Tony Sirico, American actor
- 1952Marie Panayotopoulos-Cassiotou, Greek politician
- 1959Ruud Janssen, Dutch writer and Fluxus and mail artist
- 1970John Rennie, Zimbabwean cricketer
- 1983Alexei Kaigorodov, Russian hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.