July 29: Day of the Week
July 29, 2020 is the 211st day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 155 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Sadie’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
July 29 Historical Event(s)
- 904Sack of Thessalonica: Saracen raiders under Leo of Tripoli sack Thessalonica, the Byzantine Empire’s second-largest city, after a short siege, and plunder it for a week.
- 1693War of the Grand Alliance: Battle of Landen – France wins a Pyrrhic victory over Allied forces in the Netherlands.
- 1836Inauguration of the Arc de Triomphe in Paris.
- 1848Irish Potato Famine: Tipperary Revolt – in Tipperary, an unsuccessful nationalist revolt against British rule is put down by police.
- 1920Construction of the Link River Dam begins as part of the Klamath Reclamation Project.
- 1932Great Depression: in Washington, D.C., troops disperse the last of the “Bonus Army” of World War I veterans.
- 1937Tōngzhōu Incident: in Tōngzhōu (China), the East Hopei Army attacks Japanese troops and civilians.
- 1945The BBC Light Programme radio station is launched for mainstream light entertainment and music.
- 1948Olympic Games: The Games of the XIV Olympiad – after a hiatus of 12 years caused by World War II, the first Summer Olympics to be held since the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin, open in London.
- 2005Astronomers announce their discovery of the dwarf planet Eris.
Who were born on July 29?
- 1797Daniel Drew, American financier (d. 1879)
- 1860Charles Cochrane-Baillie, 2nd Baron Lamington, Governor of Queensland, Governor of Bombay (d. 1940)
- 1899Walter Beall, American baseball player (d. 1959)
- 1900Don Redman, American jazz trumpeter, oboist and pianist (d. 1964)
- 1900Eyvind Johnson, Swedish writer, Nobel Prize Laureate (d. 1976)
- 1909Chester Himes, American novelist (d. 1984)
- 1935Peter Schreier, German tenor
- 1965Dean Haglund, Canadian actor
- 1970John Rennie, Zimbabwean cricketer
- 1971Lisa Ekdahl, Swedish singer and songwriter
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.