July 31: Day of the Week
July 31, 2018 was the 212nd day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 153 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Leo horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
July 31 Historical Event(s)
- 904Thessalonica falls to the Arabs, who destroy the city.
- 1498On his third voyage to the Western Hemisphere, Christopher Columbus becomes the first European to discover the island of Trinidad.
- 1865The first narrow gauge mainline railway in the world opens at Grandchester, Australia.
- 1919German national assembly adopts the Weimar Constitution, which comes into force on August 14.
- 1948At Idlewild Field in New York, New York International Airport (later renamed John F. Kennedy International Airport) is dedicated.
- 1971Apollo program: Apollo 15 astronauts become the first to ride in a lunar rover.
- 198832 people are killed and 1,674 injured when a bridge at the Sultan Abdul Halim ferry terminal collapses in Butterworth, Malaysia.
- 1991The United States and Soviet Union both sign the START I Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty, the first to reduce (with verification) both countries’ stockpiles.
- 1999Discovery Program: Lunar Prospector – NASA intentionally crashes the spacecraft into the Moon, thus ending its mission to detect frozen water on the moon’s surface.
- 2002Hebrew University of Jerusalem is attacked when a bomb explodes in a cafeteria, killing 9.
Who were born on July 31?
- 1894Fred Keenor, Welsh footballer (d. 1972)
- 1911George Liberace, American musician (d. 1983)
- 1919Primo Levi, Italian author and chemist (d. 1987)
- 1940Carol J. Clover, American academic
- 1944Robert C. Merton, American mathematician
- 1962Kevin Greene, American football player
- 1968Saeed-Al-Saffar, Former UAE cricketer
- 1970Giorgos Sigalas, Greek basketball player
- 1975Andrew Hall, Former South African cricketer
- 1982Jeff DaRosa, American multi-instrumentalist (Dropkick Murphys)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.