July 31: Day of the Week
July 31, 2020 is the 213rd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 153 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Traci’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
July 31 Historical Event(s)
- 1498On his third voyage to the Western Hemisphere, Christopher Columbus becomes the first European to discover the island of Trinidad.
- 1703Daniel Defoe is placed in a pillory for the crime of seditious libel after publishing a politically satirical pamphlet, but is pelted with flowers.
- 1741Charles Albert of Bavaria invades Upper Austria and Bohemia.
- 1919German national assembly adopts the Weimar Constitution, which comes into force on August 14.
- 1930The radio mystery program The Shadow airs for the first time.
- 1954First ascent of K2, by an Italian expedition led by Ardito Desio.
- 1970Black Tot Day: The last day of the officially sanctioned rum ration in the Royal Navy.
- 1999Discovery Program: Lunar Prospector – NASA intentionally crashes the spacecraft into the Moon, thus ending its mission to detect frozen water on the moon’s surface.
- 2006Fidel Castro hands over power temporarily to brother Raúl Castro.
- 2007Operation Banner, the presence of the British Army in Northern Ireland, and the longest-running British Army operation ever, comes to an end.
Who were born on July 31?
- 1892Joseph Charbonneau, French-Canadian Roman Catholic archbishop (d. 1959)
- 1918Hank Jones, American pianist (d. 2010)
- 1919Primo Levi, Italian author and chemist (d. 1987)
- 1926Bernard Nathanson, American abortionist turned pro-life activist (d. 2011)
- 1932John Searle, American philosopher
- 1933Cees Nooteboom, Dutch writer
- 1945Gary Lewis, American vocalist (Gary Lewis & the Playboys)
- 1953James Read, American actor
- 1958Bill Berry, American musician (R.E.M.)
- 1969David Cash, American professional wrestler
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.