July 31: Day of the Week
July 31, 2021 was the 212th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 153 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters AQWJJASOMQ? Check your answers here: Words with these letters AQWJJASOMQ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
July 31 Historical Event(s)
- 1703Daniel Defoe is placed in a pillory for the crime of seditious libel after publishing a politically satirical pamphlet, but is pelted with flowers.
- 1777The U.S. Second Continental Congress passes a resolution that the services of Marquis de Lafayette “be accepted, and that, in consideration of his zeal, illustrious family and connexions, he have the rank and commission of major-general of the United States.”
- 1932The NSDAP (Nazi Party) wins more than 38% of the vote in German elections.
- 1945Pierre Laval, the fugitive former leader of Vichy France, surrenders to Allied soldiers in Austria.
- 1948At Idlewild Field in New York, New York International Airport (later renamed John F. Kennedy International Airport) is dedicated.
- 1961At Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts, the first All-Star Game tie in major league baseball history occurs when the game is stopped in the 9th inning because of rain.
- 1987A rare, class F4 tornado rips through Edmonton, Alberta, killing 27 people and causing $330 million in damage.
- 198832 people are killed and 1,674 injured when a bridge at the Sultan Abdul Halim ferry terminal collapses in Butterworth, Malaysia.
- 1991The Medininkai Massacre in Lithuania. Soviet OMON attacks Lithuanian customs post in Medininkai, killing 7 officers and severely wounding one other.
- 1991The United States and Soviet Union both sign the START I Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty, the first to reduce (with verification) both countries’ stockpiles.
Who were born on July 31?
- 1919Primo Levi, Italian author and chemist (d. 1987)
- 1932Ted Cassidy, American actor (d. 1979)
- 1939France Nuyen, French actress
- 1954Derek Smith, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1955Jakie Quartz, French singer
- 1956Michael Biehn, American actor
- 1962John Chiang, American politician
- 1962Kevin Greene, American football player
- 1975Mike Lincoln, American baseball player
- 1989Joey Richter, American actor/singer (member of Team StarKid)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.