July 31: Day of the Week
July 31, 2023 was the 212th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 153 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters DUAAXVIL? Check your answers here: Words with these letters DUAAXVIL. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
July 31 Historical Event(s)
- 1009Pope Sergius IV becomes the 142nd pope, succeeding Pope John XVIII.
- 1913The Balkan States signs an armistice at Bucharest.
- 1961At Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts, the first All-Star Game tie in major league baseball history occurs when the game is stopped in the 9th inning because of rain.
- 1964Ranger program: Ranger 7 sends back the first close-up photographs of the moon, with images 1,000 times clearer than anything ever seen from earth-bound telescopes.
- 1970Black Tot Day: The last day of the officially sanctioned rum ration in the Royal Navy.
- 1973A Delta Air Lines jetliner, flight DL 723 crashes while landing in fog at Logan Airport, Boston, Massachusetts killing 89.
- 1991The United States and Soviet Union both sign the START I Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty, the first to reduce (with verification) both countries’ stockpiles.
- 1999Discovery Program: Lunar Prospector – NASA intentionally crashes the spacecraft into the Moon, thus ending its mission to detect frozen water on the moon’s surface.
- 2006Fidel Castro hands over power temporarily to brother Raúl Castro.
- 2007Operation Banner, the presence of the British Army in Northern Ireland, and the longest-running British Army operation ever, comes to an end.
Who were born on July 31?
- 1919Primo Levi, Italian author and chemist (d. 1987)
- 1923Jimmy Evert, American tennis coach and father of Chris Evert
- 1933Cees Nooteboom, Dutch writer
- 1943Sab Shimono, Japanese-American actor
- 1950Steve Miller, American writer
- 1953Jimmy Cook, South African cricketer
- 1970Dave Wedge, American journalist
- 1975Andrew Hall, Former South African cricketer
- 1975Mike Lincoln, American baseball player
- 1985Rémy Di Gregorio, French cyclist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.