July 4: Day of the Week
July 4, 2020 is the 186th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 180 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Alfred’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
July 4: This Day in History
The Aphelion, the point in the year when the Earth is farthest from the Sun, occurs around this date.
July 4 Historical Event(s)
- 1534Christian III is elected King of Denmark and Norway in the town of Rye.
- 1778American Revolutionary War: American forces under George Clark capture Kaskaskia during the Illinois campaign.
- 1826Thomas Jefferson, third president of the United States, dies the same day as John Adams, second president of the United States, on the fiftieth anniversary of the adoption of the United States Declaration of Independence.
- 1838The Iowa Territory is organized.
- 1886The first scheduled Canadian transcontinental train arrives in Port Moody, British Columbia.
- 1939Lou Gehrig, recently diagnosed with Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, tells a crowd at Yankee Stadium that he considers himself “The luckiest man on the face of the earth” as he announces his retirement from major league baseball.
- 1950The first broadcast by Radio Free Europe.
- 1966President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Freedom of Information Act into United States law. The act goes into effect the next year.
- 1987In France, former Gestapo chief Klaus Barbie (aka the “Butcher of Lyon”) is convicted of crimes against humanity and is sentenced to life imprisonment.
- 2006North Korea tests four short-range missiles, one medium-range missile, and a long-range Taepodong-2. The long-range Taepodong-2 reportedly fails in mid-air over the Sea of Japan.
Who were born on July 4?
- 1931Sébastien Japrisot, French author, film director and screenwriter (d. 2003)
- 1932Aurèle Vandendriessche, Belgian athlete
- 1934Colin Welland, English actor
- 1960Sid Eudy, American professional wrestler
- 1962Pam Shriver, American former tennis player
- 1965Horace Grant, American basketball player
- 1965Jo Whiley, English radio DJ
- 1971Koko, sign-language gorilla
- 1972Mike Knuble, Canadian hockey player
- 1990Ihar Yasinski, Belarusian soccer player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.