July 5: Day of the Week
July 5, 2023 was the 186th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 179 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters WSUOFUOABW? Check your answers here: Word search WSUOFUOABW. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
July 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1316Battle of Manolada between the Burgundian and Majorcan claimants of the Principality of Achaea
- 1803The Convention of Artlenburg leads to the French occupation of Hanover (which had been ruled by the British king).
- 1809The Battle of Wagram, the largest of the Napoleonic Wars.
- 1811Venezuela declares independence from Spain.
- 1830France invades Algeria.
- 1833Admiral Charles Napier defeats the navy of the Portuguese usurper Dom Miguel at the third Battle of Cape St. Vincent.
- 1943World War II: An Allied invasion fleet sails for Sicily (Operation Husky, July 10, 1943).
- 1945World War II: Liberation of the Philippines declared.
- 1962Algeria becomes independent from France.
- 1987First instance of the LTTE using suicide attacks on Sri Lankan Army. The Black Tigers are born, and in the following years continue to use the tactic to deadly effect.
Who were born on July 5?
- 1879Wanda Landowska, Polish harpsichordist (d. 1959)
- 1880Jan Kubelík, Czech violinist (d. 1940)
- 1886Willem Drees, Dutch politician and centenarian (d. 1988)
- 1904Ernst Mayr, American biologist (d. 2005)
- 1912Mack David, American lyricist (d. 1993)
- 1928Warren Oates, American actor (d. 1982)
- 1959Marc Cohn, American singer and songwriter
- 1979Tim Coly, German rugby player
- 1981Jesse Crain, Canadian baseball player
- 1991Jason Dolley, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.