June 11: Day of the Week
June 11, 2023 was the 162nd day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 203 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OEJWIJBAXAK? Check your answers here: Word search OEJWIJBAXAK. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
June 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1184 BCTrojan War: Troy is sacked and burned, according to calculations by Eratosthenes.
- 1345The megas doux Alexios Apokaukos, chief minister of the Byzantine Empire, is lynched by political prisoners.
- 1805A fire consumes large portions of Detroit in the Michigan Territory.
- 1907George Dennett, aided by Gilbert Jessop, dismisses Northamptonshire for 12 runs, the lowest total in first-class cricket.
- 1917King Alexander assumes the throne of Greece after his father Constantine I abdicates under pressure by allied armies occupying Athens.
- 1936The International Surrealist Exhibition opens in London, England.
- 1938Second Sino-Japanese War: The Chinese Nationalist government creates the 1938 Yellow River flood to halt Japanese forces. 500,000 to 900,000 civilians are killed.
- 1944USS Missouri the last battleship built by the United States Navy and future site of the signing of the Japanese Instrument of Surrender, is commissioned.
- 1956Start of Gal Oya riots, the first reported ethnic riots that target minority Sri Lankan Tamils in the Eastern Province. The total number of deaths is reportedly 150.
- 2008Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper makes an historic official apology to Canada’s First Nations in regard to a residential school abuse in which children are isolated from their homes, families and cultures for a century.
Who were born on June 11?
- 1713Edward Capell, English critic (d. 1781)
- 1895Nikolai Bulganin, Soviet politician (d. 1975)
- 1912James Algar, American film director (d. 1998)
- 1915Nicholas Metropolis, Greek-American mathematician, physicist and computer scientist (d. 1999)
- 1919Helen Tobias-Duesberg, Estonian-born American composer
- 1926Carlisle Floyd, American composer
- 1936Jud Strunk, American singer, songwriter and comedian (d. 1981)
- 1969Olaf Kapagiannidis, German footballer
- 1982Joey Graham, American basketball player
- 1987Didrik Solli-Tangen, Norwegian singer and Eurovision contestant
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.