June 11: Day of the Week
June 11, 2020 was the 163rd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 203 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Giovanni’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
June 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1345The megas doux Alexios Apokaukos, chief minister of the Byzantine Empire, is lynched by political prisoners.
- 1509Henry VIII of England marries Catherine of Aragon.
- 1594Philip II recognizes the rights and privileges of the local nobles and chieftains in the Philippines, which paved way to the stabilization of the rule of the Principalía (an elite ruling class of native nobility in Spanish Philippines).
- 1805A fire consumes large portions of Detroit in the Michigan Territory.
- 1920During the U.S. Republican National Convention in Chicago, U.S. Republican Party leaders gathered in a room at the Blackstone Hotel to come to a consensus on their candidate for the U.S. presidential election, leading the Associated Press to first coin the political phrase “smoke-filled room”.
- 1955Eighty-three are killed and at least 100 are injured after an Austin-Healey and a Mercedes-Benz collide at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the deadliest ever accident in motorsports.
- 1956Start of Gal Oya riots, the first reported ethnic riots that target minority Sri Lankan Tamils in the Eastern Province. The total number of deaths is reportedly 150.
- 1962Frank Morris, John Anglin and Clarence Anglin allegedly become the only prisoners to escape from the prison on Alcatraz Island.
- 1963American Civil Rights Movement: Alabama Governor George Wallace stands at the door of Foster Auditorium at the University of Alabama in an attempt to block two black students, Vivian Malone and James Hood, from attending that school. Later in the day, accompanied by federalized National Guard troops, they are able to register.
- 2001Timothy McVeigh is executed for his role in the Oklahoma City bombing.
Who were born on June 11?
- 1704Carlos Seixas, Portuguese composer (d. 1742)
- 1903Ernie Nevers, American football player (d. 1976)
- 1922Michael Cacoyannis, Cypriot film maker
- 1932Athol Fugard, South African playwright
- 1936Chad Everett, American actor
- 1948Stephen Schnetzer, American actor
- 1951Mark D. Siljander, American politician
- 1957Jamaaladeen Tacuma, American free jazz bassist
- 1970Kang Ho Dong, Korean traditional wrestler and MC
- 1983Chuck Hayes, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.