June 11: Day of the Week
June 11, 2020 was the 163rd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 203 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters YTIBVECACASY? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters YTIBVECACASY. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
June 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1345The megas doux Alexios Apokaukos, chief minister of the Byzantine Empire, is lynched by political prisoners.
- 1775The American Revolutionary War’s first naval engagement, the Battle of Machias, results in the capture of a small British naval vessel.
- 1805A fire consumes large portions of Detroit in the Michigan Territory.
- 1898Spanish-American War: U.S. war ships set sail for Cuba.
- 1920During the U.S. Republican National Convention in Chicago, U.S. Republican Party leaders gathered in a room at the Blackstone Hotel to come to a consensus on their candidate for the U.S. presidential election, leading the Associated Press to first coin the political phrase “smoke-filled room”.
- 1938Second Sino-Japanese War: The Chinese Nationalist government creates the 1938 Yellow River flood to halt Japanese forces. 500,000 to 900,000 civilians are killed.
- 1956Start of Gal Oya riots, the first reported ethnic riots that target minority Sri Lankan Tamils in the Eastern Province. The total number of deaths is reportedly 150.
- 1962Frank Morris, John Anglin and Clarence Anglin allegedly become the only prisoners to escape from the prison on Alcatraz Island.
- 2001Timothy McVeigh is executed for his role in the Oklahoma City bombing.
- 2004Cassini-Huygens makes its closest flyby of the Saturn moon Phoebe.
Who were born on June 11?
- 1776John Constable, English painter (d. 1837)
- 1846William Louis Marshall, American general and engineer (d. 1920)
- 1880Jeannette Rankin, American politician, feminist and pacifist (d. 1973)
- 1919Richard Todd, British actor (d. 2009)
- 1947Henry Cisneros, American politician
- 1948Michael Swan, American actor
- 1973Dana Brunetti, American film producer
- 1975Choi Ji Woo, South Korean actress and model
- 1984Vágner Love, Brazilian footballer
- 1989Keith Aulie, Canadian hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.