June 11: Day of the Week
June 11, 2019 was the 162nd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 203 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Tiffany’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
June 11 Historical Event(s)
- 631Emperor Taizong of Tang, the Emperor of China, sends envoys to the Xueyantuo bearing gold and silk in order to seek the release of enslaved Chinese prisoners captured during the transition from Sui to Tang from the northern frontier; this embassy succeeded in freeing 80,000 Chinese men and women who were then returned to China.
- 1429Hundred Years’ War: start of the Battle of Jargeau.
- 1770Captain James Cook runs aground on the Great Barrier Reef.
- 1805A fire consumes large portions of Detroit in the Michigan Territory.
- 1837The Broad Street Riot occurs in Boston, fueled by ethnic tensions between Yankees and Irish.
- 1898The Hundred Days’ Reform is started by Guangxu Emperor with a plan to change social, political and educational institutions in China, but is suspended by Empress Dowager Cixi after 104 days. The failed reform though led to the abolition of Imperial Examination in 1905.
- 1919Sir Barton wins the Belmont Stakes, becoming the first horse to win the Triple Crown.
- 1955Eighty-three are killed and at least 100 are injured after an Austin-Healey and a Mercedes-Benz collide at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the deadliest ever accident in motorsports.
- 1998Compaq Computer pays $9 billion for Digital Equipment Corporation in the largest high-tech acquisition.
- 2004Cassini-Huygens makes its closest flyby of the Saturn moon Phoebe.
Who were born on June 11?
- 1713Edward Capell, English critic (d. 1781)
- 1723Johann Georg Palitzsch, German astronomer (d. 1788)
- 1815Julia Margaret Cameron, English photographer (d. 1879)
- 1880Jeannette Rankin, American politician, feminist and pacifist (d. 1973)
- 1912James Algar, American film director (d. 1998)
- 1915Nicholas Metropolis, Greek-American mathematician, physicist and computer scientist (d. 1999)
- 1926Carlisle Floyd, American composer
- 1937Johnny Brown, American comedian
- 1937Robin Warren, Australian pathologist, Nobel laureate
- 1970Chris Rice, American singer and songwriter
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.