June 16: Day of the Week
June 16, 2023 was the 167th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 198 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Leonard’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
June 16 Historical Event(s)
- 1586Mary, Queen of Scots, recognizes Philip II of Spain as her heir and successor.
- 1745Sir William Pepperell captures the French Fortress of Louisbourg in Louisbourg, Nova Scotia during the War of the Austrian Succession.
- 1774Foundation of Harrodsburg, Kentucky.
- 1858Abraham Lincoln delivers his House Divided speech in Springfield, Illinois.
- 1883The Victoria Hall theatre panic in Sunderland, England kills 183 children.
- 1911IBM founded as the Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company in Endicott, New York.
- 1924The Whampoa Military Academy is founded.
- 1925The most famous Young Pioneer camp of the Soviet Union, Artek, is established.
- 1961Rudolf Nureyev defects from the Soviet Union.
- 1963Soviet Space Program: Vostok 6 Mission – Cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova becomes the first woman in space.
Who were born on June 16?
- 1591Joseph Solomon Delmedigo, Crete-born Italian physician, mathematician, and music theorist (d. 1655)
- 1792John Linnell, English landscape painter (d. 1882)
- 1888Alexander Alexandrovich Friedman, Russian physicist (d. 1925)
- 1897Georg Wittig, German chemist, Nobel laureate (d. 1987)
- 1920José López Portillo, 31st President of Mexico (d. 2004)
- 1940Neil Goldschmidt, American Governor of Oregon
- 1953Ian Mosley, British drummer (Marillion)
- 1959The Ultimate Warrior, American professional wrestler
- 1980Phil Christophers, German-born English rugby player
- 1984Steven Whittaker, Scottish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.