June 16: Day of the Week
June 16, 2019 is the 167th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 198 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
June 16 Historical Event(s)
- 363Emperor Julian marches back up the Tigris and burns his fleet of supply ships. During the withdrawal Roman forces suffering several attacks from the Persians.
- 1745Sir William Pepperell captures the French Fortress of Louisbourg in Louisbourg, Nova Scotia during the War of the Austrian Succession.
- 1755French and Indian War: the French surrender Fort Beauséjour to the British, leading to the expulsion of the Acadians.
- 1795First Battle of Groix otherwise known as “Cornwallis’ Retreat”.
- 1815Battle of Ligny and Battle of Quatre Bras, two days before the Battle of Waterloo.
- 1816Lord Byron reads Fantasmagoriana to his four house guests at the Villa Diodati, Percy Shelley, Mary Shelley, Claire Clairmont, and John Polidori, and inspires his challenge that each guest write a ghost story, which culminated in Mary Shelley writing the novel Frankenstein, John Polidori writing the short story The Vampyre, and Byron writing the poem Darkness.
- 1871The University Tests Act allows students to enter the Universities of Oxford, Cambridge and Durham without religious tests (except for those intending to study theology).
- 1911IBM founded as the Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company in Endicott, New York.
- 1972Red Army Faction member Ulrike Meinhof is captured by police in Langenhagen.
- 1997The Dairat Labguer massacre in Algeria; 50 people are killed.
Who were born on June 16?
- 1514John Cheke, English classical scholar (d. 1557)
- 1583Axel Oxenstierna, Swedish statesman (d. 1654)
- 1754Salawat Yulayev, Bashkir poet (d. 1800)
- 1894Norman Kerry, American actor (d. 1956)
- 1902George Gaylord Simpson, American paleontologist (d. 1984)
- 1928Speedy O. Long, American politician (d. 2006)
- 1969Shami Chakrabarti, British activist
- 1971Chris Gomez, American baseball player
- 1980Phil Christophers, German-born English rugby player
- 1986Farhad Reza, Bangladeshi cricketer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.