June 16: Day of the Week
June 16, 2019 was the 167th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 198 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Curtis’ personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
June 16 Historical Event(s)
- 1745Sir William Pepperell captures the French Fortress of Louisbourg in Louisbourg, Nova Scotia during the War of the Austrian Succession.
- 1746War of Austrian Succession: Austria and Sardinia defeat a Franco-Spanish army at the Battle of Piacenza.
- 1816Lord Byron reads Fantasmagoriana to his four house guests at the Villa Diodati, Percy Shelley, Mary Shelley, Claire Clairmont, and John Polidori, and inspires his challenge that each guest write a ghost story, which culminated in Mary Shelley writing the novel Frankenstein, John Polidori writing the short story The Vampyre, and Byron writing the poem Darkness.
- 1846The Papal conclave of 1846 concludes. Pope Pius IX is elected Pope beginning the longest reign in the history of the papacy (not counting St. Peter).
- 1883The Victoria Hall theatre panic in Sunderland, England kills 183 children.
- 1904Irish author James Joyce begins a relationship with Nora Barnacle and subsequently uses the date to set the actions for his novel Ulysses; this date is now traditionally called “Bloomsday”.
- 1958Imre Nagy, Pál Maléter and other leaders of the 1956 Hungarian Uprising are executed.
- 1961Rudolf Nureyev defects from the Soviet Union.
- 1976Soweto uprising: a non-violent march by 15,000 students in Soweto, South Africa turns into days of rioting when police open fire on the crowd.
- 2000Israel complies with UN Security Council Resolution 425 after 22 years of it issuance, which calls on Israel to completely withdraw from Lebanon. Israel withdraws from all of Lebanon, except the disputed Shebaa Farms.
Who were born on June 16?
- 1613John Cleveland, English poet (d. 1658)
- 1713Meshech Weare, American Governor of New Hampshire (d. 1786)
- 1924Faith Domergue, American actor (d. 1999)
- 1934William Forsyth Sharpe, American economist, Nobel laureate
- 1944Henri Richelet, French painter
- 1952George Papandreou, Greek politician
- 1963Jim Fullington, American professional wrestler
- 1975Anthony Carter, American basketball player
- 1981Ben Kweller, American singer and songwriter
- 1982Fraser Cartmell, British triathlete
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.