June 2: Day of the Week
June 2, 2023 was the 153rd day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 212 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters HSIHUCUYAYI? Check your answers here: Words with these letters HSIHUCUYAYI. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
June 2 Historical Event(s)
- 1615First Récollet missionaries arrive at Quebec City, from Rouen, France.
- 1692Bridget Bishop is the first person to go to trial in the Salem witch trials in Salem, Massachusetts. Found guilty, she is hanged on June 10.
- 1835P. T. Barnum and his circus start their first tour of the United States.
- 1955The USSR and Yugoslavia sign the Belgrade declaration and thus normalize relations between both countries, discontinued since 1948.
- 1967Luis Monge is executed in Colorado’s gas chamber, in the last pre-Furman execution in the United States.
- 1979Pope John Paul II first official visit to his native Poland, becoming the first Pope to visit a Communist country.
- 1990The Lower Ohio Valley tornado outbreak spawns 66 confirmed tornadoes in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio, killing 12. Petersburg, Indiana, is the hardest-hit town in the outbreak, with 6 deaths.
- 1997In Denver, Colorado, Timothy McVeigh is convicted on 15 counts of murder and conspiracy for his role in the 1995 bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
- 2003Europe launches its first voyage to another planet, Mars. The European Space Agency’s Mars Express probe launches from the Baikonur space center in Kazakhstan.
- 2004Ken Jennings begins his 74-game winning streak on the syndicated game show Jeopardy!
Who were born on June 2?
- 1865George Lohmann, English cricketer (d. 1901)
- 1891Thurman Arnold, American attorney and jurist (d. 1969)
- 1927W. Watts Biggers, American novelist and animator
- 1935Carol Shields, American-born novelist (d. 2003)
- 1950Joanna Gleason, Canadian actress and singer
- 1953Craig Stadler, American golfer
- 1955Dana Carvey, American actor
- 1961Dez Cadena, American musician (Black Flag)
- 1972Wentworth Miller, American actor
- 1978Justin Long, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.