June 20: Day of the Week
June 20, 2019 was the 171st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 194 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
June 20: This Day in History
On leap years, this day usually marks the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere and the winter solstice in the southern hemisphere.
June 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1605After only three months as tsar, 16-year-old Feodor II of Russia is assassinated.
- 1863American Civil War: West Virginia is admitted as the 35th U.S. state.
- 1877Alexander Graham Bell installs the world’s first commercial telephone service in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
- 1900Boxer Rebellion: The Imperial Chinese Army begins a 55-day siege of the Legation Quarter in Beijing, China.
- 1942The Holocaust: Kazimierz Piechowski and three others, dressed as members of the SS-Totenkopfverbände, steal an SS staff car and escape from the Auschwitz concentration camp.
- 1943The Detroit Race Riot breaks out and continues for three more days.
- 1956A Venezuelan Super-Constellation crashes in the Atlantic Ocean off Asbury Park, New Jersey, killing 74 people.
- 1963The so-called “red telephone” is established between the Soviet Union and the United States following the Cuban Missile Crisis.
- 1979ABC News correspondent Bill Stewart is shot dead by a Nicaraguan soldier under the regime of Anastasio Somoza Debayle. The murder is caught on tape and sparks an international outcry against the regime.
- 2009During the Iranian election protests, the death of Neda Agha-Soltan is captured on video and spreads virally on the Internet, making it “probably the most widely witnessed death in human history”.
Who were born on June 20?
- 1723Adam Ferguson, Scottish philosopher and historian (d. 1816)
- 1934Wendy Craig, English actress
- 1940John Mahoney, English actor
- 1947Candy Clark, American actress
- 1954Michael Anthony, American musician (Van Halen)
- 1969Misha Verbitsky, Russian mathematician
- 1972Paul Bako, American baseball player
- 1979Charles Howell III, American professional golfer
- 1982Aleksei Berezutski, Russian footballer
- 1997Maria Lark, Russian/American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.