June 20: Day of the Week
June 20, 2023 is the 171st day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 194 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OGUABVO? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters OGUABVO. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
June 20: This Day in History
On leap years, this day usually marks the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere and the winter solstice in the southern hemisphere.
June 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1782The U.S. Congress adopts the Great Seal of the United States.
- 1887Victoria Terminus, the busiest railway station in India, opens in Bombay.
- 1919150 die at the Teatro Yaguez fire, Mayagüez, Puerto Rico.
- 1956A Venezuelan Super-Constellation crashes in the Atlantic Ocean off Asbury Park, New Jersey, killing 74 people.
- 1963The so-called “red telephone” is established between the Soviet Union and the United States following the Cuban Missile Crisis.
- 1972Watergate scandal: An 18½-minute gap appears in the tape recording of the conversations between U.S. President Richard Nixon and his advisers regarding the recent arrests of his operatives while breaking into the Watergate complex.
- 1990Asteroid Eureka is discovered.
- 1991The German Bundestag votes to move the capital from Bonn back to Berlin.
- 2003The WikiMedia Foundation is founded in St. Petersburg, Florida.
- 2009During the Iranian election protests, the death of Neda Agha-Soltan is captured on video and spreads virally on the Internet, making it “probably the most widely witnessed death in human history”.
Who were born on June 20?
- 1861Frederick Gowland Hopkins, English biochemist, recipient of the Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine (d. 1947)
- 1929Anne Weale, British writer (d. 2007)
- 1941Stephen Frears, English film director
- 1942Brian Wilson, American musician (The Beach Boys)
- 1947Josef Clemens, German bishop and Secretary of the Pontifical Council for the Laity
- 1951Paul Muldoon, Northern Irish poet
- 1954Michael Anthony, American musician (Van Halen)
- 1969Peter Paige, American actor
- 1977Gordan Giriček, Croatian basketball player
- 1985Matt Flynn, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.