June 20: Day of the Week
June 20, 2019 is the 171st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 194 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
June 20: This Day in History
On leap years, this day usually marks the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere and the winter solstice in the southern hemisphere.
June 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1605After only three months as tsar, 16-year-old Feodor II of Russia is assassinated.
- 1631The sack of Baltimore: the Irish village of Baltimore is attacked by Algerian pirates.
- 1895The Kiel Canal, crossing the base of the Jutland peninsula and the busiest artificial waterway in the world, is officially opened.
- 1900Boxer Rebellion: The Imperial Chinese Army begins a 55-day siege of the Legation Quarter in Beijing, China.
- 1948Toast of the Town, later The Ed Sullivan Show, makes its television debut.
- 1956A Venezuelan Super-Constellation crashes in the Atlantic Ocean off Asbury Park, New Jersey, killing 74 people.
- 1960The Mali Federation gains independence from France (it later splits into Mali and Senegal).
- 1990Asteroid Eureka is discovered.
- 1991The German Bundestag votes to move the capital from Bonn back to Berlin.
- 2009During the Iranian election protests, the death of Neda Agha-Soltan is captured on video and spreads virally on the Internet, making it “probably the most widely witnessed death in human history”.
Who were born on June 20?
- 1771Hermann von Boyen, German army officer (d. 1848)
- 1870Georges Dufrénoy, French post-impressionnist painter (d. 1943)
- 1887Kurt Schwitters, German painter and writer (d. 1948)
- 1911Gail Patrick, American actress (d. 1980)
- 1918Zoltán Sztáray, Hungarian writer
- 1947Ivo Milazzo, Italian comic book artist
- 1958Chuck Wagner, American actor
- 1960John Taylor, English musician (Duran Duran)
- 1976Jerome Fontamillas, American musician (Switchfoot)
- 1987Carsten Ball, Australian tennis player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.