June 20: Day of the Week
June 20, 2019 was the 171st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 194 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Edwin’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
June 20: This Day in History
On leap years, this day usually marks the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere and the winter solstice in the southern hemisphere.
June 20 Historical Event(s)
- 451Battle of Chalons: Flavius Aetius’ battles Attila the Hun. After the battle, which was inconclusive, Attila retreats, causing the Romans to interpret it as a victory.
- 1214The University of Oxford receives its charter.
- 1789Deputies of the French Third Estate take the Tennis Court Oath.
- 1840Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph.
- 1863American Civil War: West Virginia is admitted as the 35th U.S. state.
- 1887Victoria Terminus, the busiest railway station in India, opens in Bombay.
- 1921Workers of Buckingham and Carnatic Mills in the city of Chennai, India, begin a four-month strike.
- 1942The Holocaust: Kazimierz Piechowski and three others, dressed as members of the SS-Totenkopfverbände, steal an SS staff car and escape from the Auschwitz concentration camp.
- 1944World War II: The Battle of the Philippine Sea concludes with a decisive U.S. naval victory. The lopsided naval air battle is also known as the “Great Marianas Turkey Shoot”.
- 2003The WikiMedia Foundation is founded in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Who were born on June 20?
- 1737Tokugawa Ieharu, Japanese Shogun (d. 1786)
- 1891John A. Costello, second Taoiseach of the Republic of Ireland (d. 1976)
- 1894Lloyd Hall, American chemist (d. 1971)
- 1908Billy Werber, American baseball player (d. 2009)
- 1946Bob Vila, American television host
- 1947Dolores Brooks, American singer (the Crystals)
- 1953Raúl Ramírez, Mexican tennis player
- 1954Michael Anthony, American musician (Van Halen)
- 1969MaliVai Washington, American tennis player
- 1971Jeordie White, American musician (Marilyn Manson)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.