June 20: Day of the Week
June 20, 2021 was the 171st day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 194 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters POAQKO? Check your answers here: Word solver POAQKO. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
June 20: This Day in History
On leap years, this day usually marks the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere and the winter solstice in the southern hemisphere.
June 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1782The U.S. Congress adopts the Great Seal of the United States.
- 1787Oliver Ellsworth moves at the Federal Convention to call the government the United States.
- 1840Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph.
- 1862Barbu Catargiu, the Prime Minister of Romania, is assassinated.
- 1877Alexander Graham Bell installs the world’s first commercial telephone service in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
- 1942The Holocaust: Kazimierz Piechowski and three others, dressed as members of the SS-Totenkopfverbände, steal an SS staff car and escape from the Auschwitz concentration camp.
- 1944Continuation war: the Soviet Union demands an unconditional surrender from Finland during the beginning of partially successful Vyborg–Petrozavodsk Offensive. The Finnish government refuses.
- 1944World War II: The Battle of the Philippine Sea concludes with a decisive U.S. naval victory. The lopsided naval air battle is also known as the “Great Marianas Turkey Shoot”.
- 1960The Mali Federation gains independence from France (it later splits into Mali and Senegal).
- 1972Watergate scandal: An 18½-minute gap appears in the tape recording of the conversations between U.S. President Richard Nixon and his advisers regarding the recent arrests of his operatives while breaking into the Watergate complex.
Who were born on June 20?
- 1485Astorre III Manfredi, lord of Faenza (d. 1502)
- 1819Jacques Offenbach, German-born French composer (d. 1880)
- 1932Robert Rozhdestvensky, Russian poet (d. 1994)
- 1939Ramakant Desai, Indian cricketer (d. 1998)
- 1942Richard I. Neal, American general
- 1952Vikram Seth, Indian poet
- 1953Robert Crais, American mystery writer
- 1967Nicole Kidman, American/Australian actress
- 1968Robert Rodriguez, American film director
- 1984Hassan Adams, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.