June 20: Day of the Week
June 20, 2021 is the 171st day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 194 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters SUPCNUID? Check your answers here: Word solver SUPCNUID. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
June 20: This Day in History
On leap years, this day usually marks the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere and the winter solstice in the southern hemisphere.
June 20 Historical Event(s)
- 451Battle of Chalons: Flavius Aetius’ battles Attila the Hun. After the battle, which was inconclusive, Attila retreats, causing the Romans to interpret it as a victory.
- 1605After only three months as tsar, 16-year-old Feodor II of Russia is assassinated.
- 1782The U.S. Congress adopts the Great Seal of the United States.
- 1819The U.S. vessel SS Savannah arrives at Liverpool, England, United Kingdom. She is the first steam-propelled vessel to cross the Atlantic, although most of the journey is made under sail.
- 1840Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph.
- 1893Lizzie Borden is acquitted of the murders of her father and stepmother.
- 1942The Holocaust: Kazimierz Piechowski and three others, dressed as members of the SS-Totenkopfverbände, steal an SS staff car and escape from the Auschwitz concentration camp.
- 1948Toast of the Town, later The Ed Sullivan Show, makes its television debut.
- 1972Watergate scandal: An 18½-minute gap appears in the tape recording of the conversations between U.S. President Richard Nixon and his advisers regarding the recent arrests of his operatives while breaking into the Watergate complex.
- 2009During the Iranian election protests, the death of Neda Agha-Soltan is captured on video and spreads virally on the Internet, making it “probably the most widely witnessed death in human history”.
Who were born on June 20?
- 1819Jacques Offenbach, German-born French composer (d. 1880)
- 1862Marco Praga, Italian playwright (d. 1929)
- 1941Stephen Frears, English film director
- 1944Cheryl Holdridge, American actress (d. 2009)
- 1945Anne Murray, Canadian singer
- 1953Willy Rampf, German F1 technical director (BMW, Sauber)
- 1960John Taylor, English musician (Duran Duran)
- 1963Amir Derakh, American musician (Orgy)
- 1971Josh Kronfeld, New Zealander rugby union footballer
- 1987Carsten Ball, Australian tennis player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.