June 20: Day of the Week
June 20, 2019 is the 171st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 194 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Gemini horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
June 20: This Day in History
On leap years, this day usually marks the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere and the winter solstice in the southern hemisphere.
June 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1787Oliver Ellsworth moves at the Federal Convention to call the government the United States.
- 1819The U.S. vessel SS Savannah arrives at Liverpool, England, United Kingdom. She is the first steam-propelled vessel to cross the Atlantic, although most of the journey is made under sail.
- 1877Alexander Graham Bell installs the world’s first commercial telephone service in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
- 1895The Kiel Canal, crossing the base of the Jutland peninsula and the busiest artificial waterway in the world, is officially opened.
- 1943The Detroit Race Riot breaks out and continues for three more days.
- 1959A rare June hurricane strikes Canada’s Gulf of St. Lawrence killing 35.
- 1963The so-called “red telephone” is established between the Soviet Union and the United States following the Cuban Missile Crisis.
- 1979ABC News correspondent Bill Stewart is shot dead by a Nicaraguan soldier under the regime of Anastasio Somoza Debayle. The murder is caught on tape and sparks an international outcry against the regime.
- 1982The Argentine base (Corbeta Uruguay) on Southern Thule surrenders to Royal Marine commandos in the final action of the Falklands War.
- 1991The German Bundestag votes to move the capital from Bonn back to Berlin.
Who were born on June 20?
- 1796Luigi Amat di San Filippo e Sorso, Italian cardinal (d. 1878)
- 1861Frederick Gowland Hopkins, English biochemist, recipient of the Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine (d. 1947)
- 1889John S. Paraskevopoulos, Greek-South African astronomer (d. 1951)
- 1916Johnny Morris, British children’s presenter (d. 1999)
- 1921Byron Farwell, American military historian (d. 1999)
- 1941Ulf Merbold, German physicist and astronaut
- 1952Vikram Seth, Indian poet
- 1980Tony Lovato, American singer and guitarist (Mest)
- 1981Ardian Gashi, Albanian-Norwegian footballer
- 1991Rick ten Voorde, Dutch soccer player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.