June 20: Day of the Week
June 20, 2019 is the 171st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 194 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
June 20: This Day in History
On leap years, this day usually marks the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere and the winter solstice in the southern hemisphere.
June 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1214The University of Oxford receives its charter.
- 1685Monmouth Rebellion: James Scott, 1st Duke of Monmouth declares himself King of England at Bridgwater.
- 1863American Civil War: West Virginia is admitted as the 35th U.S. state.
- 1887Victoria Terminus, the busiest railway station in India, opens in Bombay.
- 1893Lizzie Borden is acquitted of the murders of her father and stepmother.
- 1959A rare June hurricane strikes Canada’s Gulf of St. Lawrence killing 35.
- 1960The Mali Federation gains independence from France (it later splits into Mali and Senegal).
- 1972Watergate scandal: An 18½-minute gap appears in the tape recording of the conversations between U.S. President Richard Nixon and his advisers regarding the recent arrests of his operatives while breaking into the Watergate complex.
- 1982The Argentine base (Corbeta Uruguay) on Southern Thule surrenders to Royal Marine commandos in the final action of the Falklands War.
- 2009During the Iranian election protests, the death of Neda Agha-Soltan is captured on video and spreads virally on the Internet, making it “probably the most widely witnessed death in human history”.
Who were born on June 20?
- 1723Adam Ferguson, Scottish philosopher and historian (d. 1816)
- 1808Samson Raphael Hirsch, German rabbi (d. 1888)
- 1855Sir Richard Lodge, English historian (d. 1936)
- 1872George Carpenter, the 5th General of The Salvation Army (d. 1948)
- 1934Rossana Podestà, Italian actress
- 1954Ilan Ramon, Israeli combat pilot and astronaut (d. 2003)
- 1972Paul Bako, American baseball player
- 1974Tuta, Brazilian footballer
- 1978Frank Lampard, English footballer
- 1985Matt Flynn, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.