June 20: Day of the Week
June 20, 2019 was the 171st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 194 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Joanna’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
June 20: This Day in History
On leap years, this day usually marks the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere and the winter solstice in the southern hemisphere.
June 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1756A British garrison is imprisoned in the Black Hole of Calcutta.
- 1787Oliver Ellsworth moves at the Federal Convention to call the government the United States.
- 1840Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph.
- 1895The Kiel Canal, crossing the base of the Jutland peninsula and the busiest artificial waterway in the world, is officially opened.
- 1944Continuation war: the Soviet Union demands an unconditional surrender from Finland during the beginning of partially successful Vyborg–Petrozavodsk Offensive. The Finnish government refuses.
- 1944World War II: The Battle of the Philippine Sea concludes with a decisive U.S. naval victory. The lopsided naval air battle is also known as the “Great Marianas Turkey Shoot”.
- 1956A Venezuelan Super-Constellation crashes in the Atlantic Ocean off Asbury Park, New Jersey, killing 74 people.
- 1991The German Bundestag votes to move the capital from Bonn back to Berlin.
- 2003The WikiMedia Foundation is founded in St. Petersburg, Florida.
- 2009During the Iranian election protests, the death of Neda Agha-Soltan is captured on video and spreads virally on the Internet, making it “probably the most widely witnessed death in human history”.
Who were born on June 20?
- 1733Betty Washington, sister of George Washington (d. 1797)
- 1872George Carpenter, the 5th General of The Salvation Army (d. 1948)
- 1893Wilhelm Zaisser, German politician (d. 1958)
- 1907Jimmy Driftwood, American songwriter and musician (d. 1998)
- 1939Ramakant Desai, Indian cricketer (d. 1998)
- 1940Eugen Drewermann, German theologian
- 1978Quinton Jackson, American mixed martial artist
- 1981Angerfist, Dutch musician
- 1982Example (rapper), British rapper
- 1984Hassan Adams, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.