June 21: Day of the Week
June 21, 2019 is the 172nd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 193 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
June 21: This Day in History
On non-leap years (until 2039), this day marks the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere and the winter solstice in the southern hemisphere, and is the day of the year with the most hours of daylight in the northern hemisphere and the least hours of daylight in the southern hemisphere.
June 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1621Execution of 27 Czech noblemen on the Old Town Square in Prague as a consequence of the Battle of White Mountain.
- 1749Halifax, Nova Scotia, is founded.
- 1768James Otis, Jr. offends the King and Parliament in a speech to the Massachusetts General Court.
- 1824Greek War of Independence: Egyptian forces capture Psara in the Aegean Sea.
- 1942World War II: A Japanese submarine surfaces near the Columbia River in Oregon, firing 17 shells at nearby Fort Stevens in one of only a handful of attacks by the Japanese against the United States mainland.
- 1942World War II: Tobruk falls to Italian and German forces.
- 1964Three civil rights workers, Andrew Goodman, James Chaney and Mickey Schwerner, are murdered in Neshoba County, Mississippi, United States, by members of the Ku Klux Klan.
- 1977Bülent Ecevit, of CHP forms the new government of Turkey.
- 1982John Hinckley is found not guilty by reason of insanity for the attempted assassination of U.S. President Ronald Reagan.
- 2006Pluto’s newly discovered moons are officially named Nix & Hydra.
Who were born on June 21?
- 1712Luc Urbain de Bouexic, comte de Guichen, French admiral (d. 1790)
- 1791Robert Napier, British engineer (d. 1876)
- 1880Josiah Stamp, 1st Baron Stamp, British civil servant, industrialist, and banker (d. 1941)
- 1882Lluís Companys i Jover, Spanish politician (d. 1940)
- 1923Jacques Hébert, French-Canadian author, journalist and politician (d. 2007)
- 1924Ezzatolah Entezami, Iranian actor
- 1924Pontus Hultén, Swedish art collector and pioneering museum director (d. 2006)
- 1944Ray Davies, English singer and songwriter (The Kinks)
- 1967Carrie Preston, American actress
- 1967Derrick Coleman, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.