June 21: Day of the Week
June 21, 2020 is the 173rd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 193 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Glen’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
June 21: This Day in History
On non-leap years (until 2039), this day marks the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere and the winter solstice in the southern hemisphere, and is the day of the year with the most hours of daylight in the northern hemisphere and the least hours of daylight in the southern hemisphere.
June 21 Historical Event(s)
- 217 BCThe Romans, led by Gaius Flaminius, are ambushed and defeated by Hannibal at the Battle of Lake Trasimene.
- 1582Japanese daimyo Oda Nobunaga is forced to commit suicide in Honnō-ji, Kyoto.
- 1798Irish Rebellion of 1798: The British Army defeats Irish rebels at the Battle of Vinegar Hill.
- 1915The U.S. Supreme Court hands down its decision in Guinn v. United States 238 US 347 1915, striking down an Oklahoma law denying the right to vote to some citizens.
- 1919Admiral Ludwig von Reuter scuttles the German fleet in Scapa Flow, Orkney. The nine sailors killed are the last casualties of World War I.
- 1930One-year conscription comes into force in France.
- 1940The first successful west-to-east navigation of Northwest Passage begins at Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- 1952The Philippine School of Commerce, through a republic act, is converted to Philippine College of Commerce, later to be the Polytechnic University of the Philippines.
- 1973In handing down the decision in Miller v. California 413 US 15, the Supreme Court of the United States establishes the Miller Test for obscenity in U.S. law.
- 2004SpaceShipOne becomes the first privately funded spaceplane to achieve spaceflight.
Who were born on June 21?
- 1712Luc Urbain de Bouexic, comte de Guichen, French admiral (d. 1790)
- 1889Ralph Craig, American athlete (d. 1972)
- 1925Maureen Stapleton, American actress (d. 2006)
- 1932O.C. Smith, American singer (d. 2001)
- 1945Philippe Sarde, French composer
- 1950Vasilis Papakonstantinou, Greek singer
- 1952Kôichi Mashimo, Japanese anime director
- 1954Anne Kirkbride, English actress
- 1961Karen Barber, English ice dancer
- 1976Nigel Lappin, Australian rules footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.