June 21: Day of the Week
June 21, 2020 was the 173rd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 193 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters WSHLAELEMV? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters WSHLAELEMV. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
June 21: This Day in History
On non-leap years (until 2039), this day marks the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere and the winter solstice in the southern hemisphere, and is the day of the year with the most hours of daylight in the northern hemisphere and the least hours of daylight in the southern hemisphere.
June 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1307Külüg Khan is enthroned as Khagan of the Mongols and Wuzong of the Yuan.
- 1768James Otis, Jr. offends the King and Parliament in a speech to the Massachusetts General Court.
- 1854The first Victoria Cross is awarded during the bombardment of Bomarsund in the Åland Islands.
- 1877The Molly Maguires, ten Irish immigrants convicted of murder, are hanged at the Schuylkill County and Carbon County, Pennsylvania prisons.
- 1900Boxer Rebellion. China formally declared war on the United States, Britain, Germany, France and Japan, as an edict issued from the Dowager Empress Cixi.
- 1915The U.S. Supreme Court hands down its decision in Guinn v. United States 238 US 347 1915, striking down an Oklahoma law denying the right to vote to some citizens.
- 1942World War II: A Japanese submarine surfaces near the Columbia River in Oregon, firing 17 shells at nearby Fort Stevens in one of only a handful of attacks by the Japanese against the United States mainland.
- 1973In handing down the decision in Miller v. California 413 US 15, the Supreme Court of the United States establishes the Miller Test for obscenity in U.S. law.
- 1977Bülent Ecevit, of CHP forms the new government of Turkey.
- 2006Pluto’s newly discovered moons are officially named Nix & Hydra.
Who were born on June 21?
- 1788Princess Augusta of Bavaria (d. 1850)
- 1891Hermann Scherchen, German conductor (d. 1966)
- 1896Charles B. Momsen, American inventor (d. 1967)
- 1921Jean de Broglie, French politician (d. 1976)
- 1935Françoise Sagan, French writer (d. 2004)
- 1935Monte Markham, American actor
- 1961Sascha Konietzko, German singer and synth player (KMFDM)
- 1964David Morrissey, British actor
- 1974Craig Lowndes, Australian racing driver
- 1978Jack Guzman, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.