June 21: Day of the Week
June 21, 2019 was the 172nd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 193 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
June 21: This Day in History
On non-leap years (until 2039), this day marks the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere and the winter solstice in the southern hemisphere, and is the day of the year with the most hours of daylight in the northern hemisphere and the least hours of daylight in the southern hemisphere.
June 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1621Execution of 27 Czech noblemen on the Old Town Square in Prague as a consequence of the Battle of White Mountain.
- 1791King Louis XVI of France and his immediate family begin the Flight to Varennes during the French Revolution.
- 1798Irish Rebellion of 1798: The British Army defeats Irish rebels at the Battle of Vinegar Hill.
- 1877The Molly Maguires, ten Irish immigrants convicted of murder, are hanged at the Schuylkill County and Carbon County, Pennsylvania prisons.
- 1900Baron Eduard Toll, leader of the Russian Polar Expedition of 1900, departed Saint Petersburg in Russia on the explorer ship Zarya, never to return.
- 1919Admiral Ludwig von Reuter scuttles the German fleet in Scapa Flow, Orkney. The nine sailors killed are the last casualties of World War I.
- 1964Three civil rights workers, Andrew Goodman, James Chaney and Mickey Schwerner, are murdered in Neshoba County, Mississippi, United States, by members of the Ku Klux Klan.
- 2001A federal grand jury in Alexandria, Virginia, indicts 13 Saudis and a Lebanese in the 1996 bombing of the Khobar Towers in Saudi Arabia that killed 19 American servicemen.
- 2004SpaceShipOne becomes the first privately funded spaceplane to achieve spaceflight.
- 2009Greenland assumes self-rule.
Who were born on June 21?
- 1730Motoori Norinaga, Japanese scholar (d. 1801)
- 1891Pier Luigi Nervi, Italian architect (d. 1979)
- 1912Mary McCarthy, American writer (d. 1989)
- 1925Giovanni Spadolini, Italian politician (d. 1994)
- 1932O.C. Smith, American singer (d. 2001)
- 1947Fernando Savater, Spanish philosopher and author
- 1948Andrzej Sapkowski, Polish writer
- 1967Carrie Preston, American actress
- 1972Alon Hilu, Israeli writer
- 1982Rob Mills, Australian singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.