June 21: Day of the Week
June 21, 2020 was the 173rd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 193 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Hattie’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
June 21: This Day in History
On non-leap years (until 2039), this day marks the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere and the winter solstice in the southern hemisphere, and is the day of the year with the most hours of daylight in the northern hemisphere and the least hours of daylight in the southern hemisphere.
June 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1621Execution of 27 Czech noblemen on the Old Town Square in Prague as a consequence of the Battle of White Mountain.
- 1788New Hampshire ratifies the Constitution of the United States and is admitted as the 9th state in the United States.
- 1900Baron Eduard Toll, leader of the Russian Polar Expedition of 1900, departed Saint Petersburg in Russia on the explorer ship Zarya, never to return.
- 1915The U.S. Supreme Court hands down its decision in Guinn v. United States 238 US 347 1915, striking down an Oklahoma law denying the right to vote to some citizens.
- 1919Admiral Ludwig von Reuter scuttles the German fleet in Scapa Flow, Orkney. The nine sailors killed are the last casualties of World War I.
- 1919The Royal Canadian Mounted Police fire a volley into a crowd of unemployed war veterans, killing two, during the Winnipeg General Strike.
- 1940The first successful west-to-east navigation of Northwest Passage begins at Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- 1982John Hinckley is found not guilty by reason of insanity for the attempted assassination of U.S. President Ronald Reagan.
- 2006Pluto’s newly discovered moons are officially named Nix & Hydra.
- 2009Greenland assumes self-rule.
Who were born on June 21?
- 1002Pope Leo IX (d. 1054)
- 1812Moses Hess, French/German-born Jewish socialist and precursor of Zionism (d. 1875)
- 1859Henry Ossawa Tanner, American painter (d. 1937)
- 1914William Vickrey, Canadian economist, Nobel laureate (d. 1996)
- 1919Gérard Pelletier, French-Canadian journalist, politician, and diplomat (d. 1997)
- 1943Salomé, Spanish singer
- 1948Andrzej Sapkowski, Polish writer
- 1954Anne Kirkbride, English actress
- 1957Lucien DeBlois, Canadian professional ice hockey player
- 1961Manu Chao, French multi-instrumentalist (Mano Negra)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.