June 21: Day of the Week
June 21, 2022 was the 172nd day of the year 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 193 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters DWDAEAXEEJ? Check your answers here: Word solver DWDAEAXEEJ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
June 21: This Day in History
On non-leap years (until 2039), this day marks the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere and the winter solstice in the southern hemisphere, and is the day of the year with the most hours of daylight in the northern hemisphere and the least hours of daylight in the southern hemisphere.
June 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1582Japanese daimyo Oda Nobunaga is forced to commit suicide in Honnō-ji, Kyoto.
- 1734In Montreal in New France, a slave known by the French name of Marie-Joseph Angélique is put to death, having been convicted of setting the fire that destroyed much of the city.
- 1791King Louis XVI of France and his immediate family begin the Flight to Varennes during the French Revolution.
- 1826Maniots defeat Egyptians under Ibrahim Pasha in the Battle of Vergas.
- 1877The Molly Maguires, ten Irish immigrants convicted of murder, are hanged at the Schuylkill County and Carbon County, Pennsylvania prisons.
- 1942World War II: A Japanese submarine surfaces near the Columbia River in Oregon, firing 17 shells at nearby Fort Stevens in one of only a handful of attacks by the Japanese against the United States mainland.
- 1948Columbia Records introduces the long-playing record album in a public demonstration at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York, New York.
- 1952The Philippine School of Commerce, through a republic act, is converted to Philippine College of Commerce, later to be the Polytechnic University of the Philippines.
- 1982John Hinckley is found not guilty by reason of insanity for the attempted assassination of U.S. President Ronald Reagan.
- 2009Greenland assumes self-rule.
Who were born on June 21?
- 1889Tadeusz Jan Kowalski, Polish orientalist (d. 1948)
- 1896Charles B. Momsen, American inventor (d. 1967)
- 1914William Vickrey, Canadian economist, Nobel laureate (d. 1996)
- 1932Lalo Schifrin, Argentine pianist and composer
- 1942Togo D. West, Jr., American attorney and public official
- 1947Joey Molland, English guitarist (Badfinger)
- 1954Anne Kirkbride, English actress
- 1961Kip Winger, American singer and guitarist (Winger)
- 1968Sonique, British DJ
- 1974Craig Lowndes, Australian racing driver
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.