June 21: Day of the Week
June 21, 2019 was the 172nd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 193 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Mark’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
June 21: This Day in History
On non-leap years (until 2039), this day marks the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere and the winter solstice in the southern hemisphere, and is the day of the year with the most hours of daylight in the northern hemisphere and the least hours of daylight in the southern hemisphere.
June 21 Historical Event(s)
- 217 BCThe Romans, led by Gaius Flaminius, are ambushed and defeated by Hannibal at the Battle of Lake Trasimene.
- 1734In Montreal in New France, a slave known by the French name of Marie-Joseph Angélique is put to death, having been convicted of setting the fire that destroyed much of the city.
- 1768James Otis, Jr. offends the King and Parliament in a speech to the Massachusetts General Court.
- 1788New Hampshire ratifies the Constitution of the United States and is admitted as the 9th state in the United States.
- 1919The Royal Canadian Mounted Police fire a volley into a crowd of unemployed war veterans, killing two, during the Winnipeg General Strike.
- 1930One-year conscription comes into force in France.
- 1940France signs an armistice with Germany at Compiègne.
- 1964Three civil rights workers, Andrew Goodman, James Chaney and Mickey Schwerner, are murdered in Neshoba County, Mississippi, United States, by members of the Ku Klux Klan.
- 1982John Hinckley is found not guilty by reason of insanity for the attempted assassination of U.S. President Ronald Reagan.
- 2001A federal grand jury in Alexandria, Virginia, indicts 13 Saudis and a Lebanese in the 1996 bombing of the Khobar Towers in Saudi Arabia that killed 19 American servicemen.
Who were born on June 21?
- 1528Maria of Spain, Holy Roman Empire Empress (d. 1603)
- 1750Pierre-Nicolas Beauvallet, French sculptor, draftsman and printmaker (d. 1818)
- 1750Thomas Spence, English classical writer (d. 1814)
- 1850Enrico Cecchetti, Italian ballet dancer (d. 1928)
- 1864Heinrich Wölfflin, Swiss art historian (d. 1945)
- 1883Fyodor Gladkov, Russian writer (d. 1958)
- 1924Max McNab, Canadian ice hockey player and coach (d. 2007)
- 1943Salomé, Spanish singer
- 1952Kôichi Mashimo, Japanese anime director
- 1978Erica Durance, Canadian actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.