June 21: Day of the Week
June 21, 2019 was the 172nd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 193 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Lincoln’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
June 21: This Day in History
On non-leap years (until 2039), this day marks the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere and the winter solstice in the southern hemisphere, and is the day of the year with the most hours of daylight in the northern hemisphere and the least hours of daylight in the southern hemisphere.
June 21 Historical Event(s)
- 524Godomar, King of the Burgundians defeats the Franks at the Battle of Vézeronce.
- 1307Külüg Khan is enthroned as Khagan of the Mongols and Wuzong of the Yuan.
- 1621Execution of 27 Czech noblemen on the Old Town Square in Prague as a consequence of the Battle of White Mountain.
- 1854The first Victoria Cross is awarded during the bombardment of Bomarsund in the Åland Islands.
- 1864New Zealand Land Wars: The Tauranga Campaign ends.
- 1898The United States captures Guam from Spain.
- 1915The U.S. Supreme Court hands down its decision in Guinn v. United States 238 US 347 1915, striking down an Oklahoma law denying the right to vote to some citizens.
- 1964Three civil rights workers, Andrew Goodman, James Chaney and Mickey Schwerner, are murdered in Neshoba County, Mississippi, United States, by members of the Ku Klux Klan.
- 1973In handing down the decision in Miller v. California 413 US 15, the Supreme Court of the United States establishes the Miller Test for obscenity in U.S. law.
- 2006Pluto’s newly discovered moons are officially named Nix & Hydra.
Who were born on June 21?
- 1825William Stubbs, English historian and Anglican Bishop of Oxford (d. 1901)
- 1918Eddie Lopat, American baseball player (d. 1992)
- 1921Judy Holliday, American actress (d. 1965)
- 1938John W. Dower, American author and historian
- 1950Anne Carson, Canadian poet
- 1952Kôichi Mashimo, Japanese anime director
- 1953Maurice Boucher, Canadian organized crime boss
- 1966Nan Woods, American actress
- 1976Antonio Cochran, American football player
- 1991Gaël Kakuta, French footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.