June 22: Day of the Week
June 22, 2022 is the 173rd day of the year 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 192 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ZIXVHIICPIA? Check your answers here: Word search ZIXVHIICPIA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
June 22 Historical Event(s)
- 217 BCBattle of Raphia: Ptolemy IV Philopator of Egypt defeats Antiochus III the Great of the Seleucid kingdom.
- 168 BCBattle of Pydna: Romans under Lucius Aemilius Paullus defeat and capture Macedonian King Perseus ending the Third Macedonian War.
- 1633The Holy Office in Rome forces Galileo Galilei to recant his view that the Sun, not the Earth, is the center of the Universe.
- 1839Cherokee leaders Major Ridge, John Ridge, and Elias Boudinot are assassinated for signing the Treaty of New Echota, which had resulted in the Trail of Tears.
- 1918The Hammond Circus Train Wreck kills 86 and injures 127 near Hammond, Indiana.
- 1922Herrin massacre: 19 strikebreakers and 2 union miners are killed in Herrin, Illinois.
- 1940France is forced to sign the Second Compiègne armistice with Germany.
- 1984Virgin Atlantic Airways launches with its first flight from London Heathrow Airport.
- 2002An earthquake measuring 6.5 Mw strikes a region of northwestern Iran killing at least 261 people and injuring 1,300 others and eventually causing widespread public anger due to the slowness of the victims receiving aid and supplies.
- 2009Eastman Kodak Company announces that it will discontinue sales of the Kodachrome Color Film, concluding its 74-year run as a photography icon.
Who were born on June 22?
- 1767Wilhelm von Humboldt, German philosopher and statesman (d. 1835)
- 1837Paul Morphy, American chess master (d. 1884)
- 1887Julian Huxley, British biologist (d. 1975)
- 1910John Hunt, Indian-born British mountaineer (d. 1998)
- 1947Jerry Rawlings, Ghanaian politician
- 1958Bruce Campbell, American actor
- 1960Erin Brockovich, American environmentalist
- 1970Steven Page, Canadian singer (Barenaked Ladies)
- 1975Müslüm Can, Turkish footballer
- 1979Leire Martínez, Basque singer and songwriter (La Oreja de Van Gogh)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.