June 24: Day of the Week
June 24, 2023 was the 175th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 190 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters PYLIIILMXOONB? Check your answers here: Word search PYLIIILMXOONB. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
June 24 Historical Event(s)
- 637The Battle of Moira is fought between the High King of Ireland and the Kings of Ulster and Dalriada. It is the largest battle in the history of Ireland.
- 1314First War of Scottish Independence: the Battle of Bannockburn concludes with a decisive victory by Scottish forces led by Robert the Bruce, though England did not recognize Scottish independence until 1328 with the signing of the Treaty of Edinburgh-Northampton.
- 1340Hundred Years’ War: Battle of Sluys – The French fleet is almost destroyed by the English Fleet commanded in person by King Edward III.
- 1497John Cabot lands in North America at Newfoundland leading the first European exploration of the region since the Vikings.
- 1894Marie Francois Sadi Carnot is assassinated by Sante Geronimo Caserio.
- 1902King Edward VII of the United Kingdom develops appendicitis, delaying his coronation.
- 1938Pieces of a meteor, estimated to have weighed 450 metric tons when it hit the Earth’s atmosphere and exploded, land near Chicora, Pennsylvania.
- 1939Siam is renamed Thailand by Plaek Pibulsonggram, the country’s third prime minister.
- 1957In Roth v. United States, the U.S. Supreme Court rules that obscenity is not protected by the First Amendment.
- 1963The United Kingdom grants Zanzibar internal self-government.
Who were born on June 24?
- 1774Antonio González de Balcarce, Supreme Director of the United Provinces of the Río de la Plata (d. 1819)
- 1906Pierre Fournier, French cellist (d. 1986)
- 1944Jeff Beck, English guitarist (The Yardbirds)
- 1946David Collenette, Canadian politician
- 1960Siedah Garrett, American singer
- 1968Alaa Abdelnaby, Egyptian-American basketball player
- 1971Ji Jin Hee, South Korean actor
- 1972Denis Žvegelj, Slovenian rower
- 1986Phil Hughes, American baseball player
- 1998Coy Stewart, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.