June 6: Day of the Week
June 6, 2019 is the 157th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 208 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
June 6 Historical Event(s)
- 1523Gustav Vasa is elected King of Sweden, marking the end of the Kalmar Union.
- 1644The Qing Dynasty Manchu forces led by the Shunzhi Emperor capture Beijing during the collapse of the Ming Dynasty. The Manchus would rule China until 1912 when the Republic of China is established.
- 1683The Ashmolean Museum in Oxford, England, opens as the world’s first university museum.
- 1859Australia: Queensland is established as a separate colony from New South Wales (Queensland Day).
- 1882The Shewan forces of Menelik II of Ethiopia defeat the Gojjame army in the Battle of Embabo. The Shewans capture Negus Tekle Haymanot of Gojjam, and their victory leads to a Shewan hegemony over the territories south of the Abay River.
- 1912The eruption of Novarupta in Alaska begins. It is the second largest volcanic eruption of the 20th century.
- 1933The first drive-in theater opens, in Camden, New Jersey, United States.
- 1939Judge Joseph Force Crater, known as the “Missingest Man in New York”, is declared legally dead.
- 1946The National Basketball Association is created, with eleven original teams.
- 1971Soyuz program: Soyuz 11 launches.
Who were born on June 6?
- 1606Pierre Corneille, French dramatist (d. 1684)
- 1857Aleksandr Lyapunov, Russian mathematician (d. 1918)
- 1862Henry John Newbolt, English author (d. 1938)
- 1907Bill Dickey, American baseball player (d. 1993)
- 1915Vincent Persichetti, American composer (d. 1987)
- 1918Edwin G. Krebs, American biochemist, Nobel laureate (d. 2009)
- 1945David Dukes, American actor (d. 2000)
- 1951Marietta Giannakou, Greek politician
- 1960Steve Vai, American musician
- 1975Niklas Sundström, Swedish hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.