June 6: Day of the Week
June 6, 2019 was the 157th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 208 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
June 6 Historical Event(s)
- 1523Gustav Vasa is elected King of Sweden, marking the end of the Kalmar Union.
- 1674Shivaji, founder of the Maratha empire is crowned.
- 1809Sweden promulgates a new Constitution, which restores political power to the Riksdag of the Estates after 20 years of Enlightened absolutism.
- 1857Sophia of Nassau marries the future King Oscar II of Sweden-Norway.
- 1912The eruption of Novarupta in Alaska begins. It is the second largest volcanic eruption of the 20th century.
- 1932The Revenue Act of 1932 is enacted, creating the first gas tax in the United States, at a rate of 1 cent per US gallon (1/4 ¢/L) sold.
- 1933The first drive-in theater opens, in Camden, New Jersey, United States.
- 1981Bihar train disaster A passenger train travelling between Mansi and Saharsa, India, jumps the tracks at a bridge crossing the Bagmati river. The government places the official death toll at 268 plus another 300 missing; however, it is generally believed that the actual figure is closer to 1,000 killed.
- 2002Eastern Mediterranean Event. A near-Earth asteroid estimated at 10 meters diameter explodes over the Mediterranean Sea between Greece and Libya. The resulting explosion is estimated to have a force of 26 kilotons, slightly more powerful than the Nagasaki atomic bomb.
- 2004Tamil is established as a Classical language by the President of India, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam in a joint sitting of the two houses of the Indian Parliament.
Who were born on June 6?
- 1236Wen Tianxiang, Chinese statesman (d. 1283)
- 1606Pierre Corneille, French dramatist (d. 1684)
- 1898Ninette de Valois, Irish dancer (d. 2001)
- 1901Sukarno, First President of Indonesia (d. 1970)
- 1940Willie John McBride, Irish Rugby player
- 1943Richard Smalley, American chemist, Nobel laureate (d. 2005)
- 1945David E. Bonior, American politician
- 1970Eugeni Berzin, Russian cyclist
- 1970Sarah Dessen, American author
- 1980Matt Belisle, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.