June 6: Day of the Week
June 6, 2020 is the 158th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 208 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Alvin’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
June 6 Historical Event(s)
- 1523Gustav Vasa is elected King of Sweden, marking the end of the Kalmar Union.
- 1862American Civil War: Battle of Memphis – Union forces capture Memphis, Tennessee, from the Confederates.
- 1882The Shewan forces of Menelik II of Ethiopia defeat the Gojjame army in the Battle of Embabo. The Shewans capture Negus Tekle Haymanot of Gojjam, and their victory leads to a Shewan hegemony over the territories south of the Abay River.
- 1918World War I: Battle of Belleau Wood – The U.S. Marine Corps suffers its worst single day’s casualties while attempting to recapture the wood at Chateau-Thierry.
- 1933The first drive-in theater opens, in Camden, New Jersey, United States.
- 1934New Deal: U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs the Securities Act of 1933 into law, establishing the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- 1942World War II: Battle of Midway. U.S. Navy dive bombers sink the Japanese cruiser Mikuma and four Japanese carriers.
- 1944World War II: Battle of Normandy begins. D-Day, code named Operation Overlord, commences with the landing of 155,000 Allied troops on the beaches of Normandy in France. The allied soldiers quickly break through the Atlantic Wall and push inland in the largest amphibious military operation in history.
- 1971A midair collision between a Hughes Airwest Douglas DC-9 jetliner and a United States Marine Corps McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II jet fighter near Duarte, California claims 50 lives.
- 2004Tamil is established as a Classical language by the President of India, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam in a joint sitting of the two houses of the Indian Parliament.
Who were born on June 6?
- 1606Pierre Corneille, French dramatist (d. 1684)
- 1699Johann Georg Estor, German jurist (d. 1773)
- 1934Roy Innis, American civil rights activist
- 1939Gary U.S. Bonds, American musician
- 1939Louis Andriessen, Dutch composer
- 1947Ada Kok, Dutch swimmer
- 1966Tony Yeboah, Ghanaian footballer
- 1968Alan Licht, American guitarist, composer and journalist
- 1970James Shaffer, American rock musician (Korn)
- 1986Bhavana Balachandran, Indian actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.