June 8: Day of the Week
June 8, 2021 was the 159th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 206 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters SNUBILIOBITLV? Check your answers here: Word finder SNUBILIOBITLV. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
June 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1856A group of 194 Pitcairn Islanders, descendants of the mutineers of HMS Bounty, arrives at Norfolk Island commencing the Third Settlement of the Island.
- 1862American Civil War: Battle of Cross Keys – Confederate forces under General Stonewall Jackson save the Army of Northern Virginia from a Union assault on the James Peninsula led by General George B. McClellan.
- 1906Theodore Roosevelt signs the Antiquities Act into law, authorizing the President to restrict the use of certain parcels of public land with historical or conservation value.
- 1949Celebrities Helen Keller, Dorothy Parker, Danny Kaye, Fredric March, John Garfield, Paul Muni and Edward G. Robinson are named in an FBI report as Communist Party members.
- 1950Sir Thomas Blamey becomes the only Australian-born Field Marshal in Australian history.
- 1953The United States Supreme Court rules that Washington, D.C. restaurants could not refuse to serve black patrons.
- 1966An F-104 Starfighter collides with XB-70 Valkyrie prototype no. 2 destroying both planes during a photo shoot near Edwards Air Force Base. NASA pilot Joseph A. Walker and United States Air Force test pilot Carl Cross are both killed.
- 1966Topeka, Kansas is devastated by a tornado that registers as an “F5” on the Fujita Scale: the first to exceed US$100 million in damages. Sixteen people are killed, hundreds more injured, and thousands of homes damaged or destroyed.
- 1982Bluff Cove Air Attacks during the Falklands War: 56 British servicemen are killed by Argentine air attack on two landing ships : RFA Sir Galahad and RFA Sir Tristram.
- 1992The first World Ocean Day is celebrated, coinciding with the Earth Summit held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Who were born on June 8?
- 1855George Charles Haité, English designer, painter and illustrator (d.1924)
- 1885Karl Genzken, Nazi physician (d. 1957)
- 1912Harry Holtzman, American abstract artist (d. 1987)
- 1916Luigi Comencini, Italian film director (d. 2007)
- 1918John D. Roberts, American chemist
- 1934Millicent Martin, English singer and actress
- 1947Eric F. Wieschaus, American biologist, Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
- 1947Sara Paretsky, American author
- 1950Sonia Braga, Brazilian actress
- 1970Seu Jorge, Brazilian musician and actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.