June 8: Day of the Week
June 8, 2019 was the 159th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 206 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
June 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1405Richard le Scrope, Archbishop of York and Thomas Mowbray, Earl of Norfolk, are executed in York on Henry IV’s orders.
- 1783The volcano Laki, in Iceland, begins an eight-month eruption which kills over 9,000 people and starts a seven-year famine.
- 1856A group of 194 Pitcairn Islanders, descendants of the mutineers of HMS Bounty, arrives at Norfolk Island commencing the Third Settlement of the Island.
- 1928Second Northern Expedition: The National Revolutionary Army captures Peking, whose name is changed to Beiping (“Northern peace”).
- 1949George Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four is published.
- 1953Flint-Worcester tornado outbreak sequence: A tornado hits Flint, Michigan, and kills 115.
- 1959The USS Barbero and United States Postal Service attempt the delivery of mail via Missile Mail.
- 1966An F-104 Starfighter collides with XB-70 Valkyrie prototype no. 2 destroying both planes during a photo shoot near Edwards Air Force Base. NASA pilot Joseph A. Walker and United States Air Force test pilot Carl Cross are both killed.
- 1968Robert F. Kennedy’s funeral takes place at the Basilica of St. Patrick’s Cathedral, New York City.
- 2008The Akihabara massacre takes place in the Akihabara shopping quarter in Chiyoda, Tokyo, Japan. Tomohiro Katō drives a two-ton truck into a crowd before leaving the truck and attacking people with a knife.
Who were born on June 8?
- 1912Maurice Bellemare, Canadian politician (d. 1989)
- 1949Emanuel Ax, Polish-born pianist
- 1950Kathy Baker, American actress
- 1957Scott Adams, American cartoonist
- 1960Mick Hucknall, English singer and songwriter (Simply Red)
- 1973Lexa Doig, Canadian actress
- 1978Eun Ji Won, South Korean rapper (Sechs Kies)
- 1981Matteo Meneghello, Italian racing driver
- 1982Dickson Etuhu, Nigerian footballer
- 1985Alexandre Despatie, Canadian diver
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.