June 8: Day of the Week
June 8, 2023 was the 159th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 206 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters CETNEKBIXPC? Check your answers here: Unscramble words CETNEKBIXPC. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
June 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1776American Revolutionary War: Battle of Trois-Rivières – American attackers are driven back at Trois-Rivières, Quebec.
- 1783The volcano Laki, in Iceland, begins an eight-month eruption which kills over 9,000 people and starts a seven-year famine.
- 1887Herman Hollerith applies for US patent #395,791 for the ‘Art of Applying Statistics’– his punched card calculator.
- 1941World War II: Allies invade Syria and Lebanon.
- 1949George Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four is published.
- 1966An F-104 Starfighter collides with XB-70 Valkyrie prototype no. 2 destroying both planes during a photo shoot near Edwards Air Force Base. NASA pilot Joseph A. Walker and United States Air Force test pilot Carl Cross are both killed.
- 1982Bluff Cove Air Attacks during the Falklands War: 56 British servicemen are killed by Argentine air attack on two landing ships : RFA Sir Galahad and RFA Sir Tristram.
- 1987New Zealand’s Labour government establishes a national nuclear-free zone under the New Zealand Nuclear Free Zone, Disarmament, and Arms Control Act 1987
- 1992The first World Ocean Day is celebrated, coinciding with the Earth Summit held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- 2008The Akihabara massacre takes place in the Akihabara shopping quarter in Chiyoda, Tokyo, Japan. Tomohiro Katō drives a two-ton truck into a crowd before leaving the truck and attacking people with a knife.
Who were born on June 8?
- 1724John Smeaton, English civil engineer (d. 1794)
- 1854Douglas Colin Cameron, Canadian politician (d. 1921)
- 1860Alicia Boole Stott, Irish mathematician (d. 1940)
- 1903Ralph Yarborough, U.S. Senator from Texas (d. 1996)
- 1933Joan Rivers, American comedian and author
- 1933Rommie Loudd, former American football player, coach, and executive (d. 1998)
- 1941Fuzzy Haskins, American musician (P Funk)
- 1969J.P. Manoux, American actor
- 1975Shilpa Shetty, Indian actress
- 1981Jess Weixler, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.